Does the public over-biologize mental illness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes and medication would not be the primary indicated treatment for either scenario. Although to be fair, depressed mood does shape perspectives and medication has been demonstrated to be helpful with improving mood which in theory could help reduce negative thought processes. You might have missed my point though, which was the tendency for patients to begin looking at medications as the essential agent to regulate mood and the need to emphasize that with their psychiatrists.

Exactly. Almost a sort of medication-related learned helplessness. Could end up fostering the belief: "I can't regulate or tolerate my moods on their on. They're too severe and out of my control. I need my medication for this."

Which can lead to hosts of other problems, both medical and psychological.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly. Almost a sort of medication-related learned helplessness. Could end up fostering the belief: "I can't regulate or tolerate my moods on their on. They're too severe and out of my control. I need my medication for this."

Which can lead to hosts of other problems, both medical and psychological.
I'm glad that someone got my point. Believe me, I am better at explaining things to patients and colleagues in person, really I am....at least I hope so.
:unsure: o_O :confused: :(
+pity+