Does the school you go to really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have narrowed my decision to either Tufts or NOVA? But I Know tufts is a older, and has better reputation that nova, but it is also more expensive???Is it worth the extra $$$$. Any tufts students out there, are you happy up there? what about nova students?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question: HELL F'ING NO. It doesn't matter where you go whether you want to specialize or go into general dentistry. Unless you ride the short bus, then an Ivy League school may help you get into a residency in dental public health.

If cost is the only factor being considered, then I would always say go to the cheaper school. You will be in a better state of mind with the lower debt burden in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love it if I had those two options...and I would choose the cheaper of the two. Being near a beach and having year round warm weather doesnt hurt either. Go to Nova and rock on.

Cost was the most important factor for me. UF is fairly cheap for FL residents and living in Gainesville is cheap. Even *if* you have a name advantage with a Harvard or Columbia, it ain't worth an extra 150-200K.

p.s. I am from South Florida, there are lots of hot sluts there.

I think Cost is the biggest concern. Other than that it really doesn't matter.

the only instance that i could think of where it would even remotely matter is if you wanted to specialize. often schools with specialty programs will at least gaurantee an interview to students at their dental school. that could be a big boost depending on how the program chooses who gets in to the specialty (some programs say that everyone that gets an interview gets an equal shot at the position). i think nova and tufts have pretty comparable specialty (at least as far as variety is concerened).

GoGatorsDMD said:
p.s. I am from South Florida, there are lots of hot sluts there.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Hot sluts.... are there finer lubricants of life than those??

of course it matters!

there are some places you will be happier at than others!

as far as matching into residencies... you can get whatever you want if you work for it.

but things to consider:
cost, the city you will be living in - how's the cost of living, restaurants, nightlife, entertainment?, the length of schooling (UoP is 3 years!), is it close to your hometown? do you want it to be close to your hometown?

the list goes on and on.

Only of you have serious inferiority/psychological/self esteem issues about it on a personal level. Find yourself a school where you feel the most comfortable, and preferably the least expensive one too(less loans to payback later = more $$ in your pocket (unless of course the democrats get control of the house and senate and "reward" your academic success and persistance to become a dentist by taking away more and more of your $$ and giving it to folks that didn't work nearly as hard as you did :mad: :barf: :wow: {sorry I digress I'm just dealing with my democratically controlled state legislature in CT proposing to tax me even more because my household income is above a certain amount even though the 1% of people in CT who are at/above my income level already account for over 75% of total tax revenue that the state collects every year already :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: ])

Vent done, where you go doesn't matter. End of story!

I agree with a few of the points provided here:

organichemistry does make a point in that you would most preferably attend where you are most "comfortable" and cost will play a role.

However, Gavin does make a point as well in that it does not matter to some extent. Seemingly, you could attend one of the most highly regarded programs in the country and not become any good at dentistry if there is a lack of committment or work ethic.

For example, a baseball player doesn't suddenly become a hall of famer because he puts on pinstripes. The Yanks found this out the last two years in the World Series and AL Championship respectively. :oops:

The point is the individual must execute. Your school color or skin color for that matter won't save you when you are in the real world as Dr. Jeff so poignantly described since he is already practicing. Patients want to know if you can do the job without hurting or killing them and not where you were trained.

Work ethic plays a large role in how good you become at anything, especially something as comprehensive as dentistry. We can all think of instances in life where more is done with less and less is done with more.

In my humble opinion, there is no right or wrong answer for this question, but there most likely is a best answer that will once again rest on the shoulders of the individual.

A dental student could have all the ability in the world and be surrounding with great resources and excellent instructors and not reach full potential if he or she is not committed to do the work required to master dentistry. This is precisely why CE courses exist. In order to be the best, you must work at it constantly and not rest on your laurels or past accomplishments, or you might find yourself left behind rather quickly. Take care and GOD Bless.

DrJeff said:
(unless of course the democrats get control of the house and senate and "reward" your academic success and persistance to become a dentist by taking away more and more of your $$ and giving it to folks that didn't work nearly as hard as you did

:barf: you.

There are plenty of folks who work their butt to the bone just to make ends meet. I don't know about you, but most dentists I know work 4 days. So you were fortunate enough to have been:

1) born not dumb and without severe physical handicaps

2) born in the US or born into an immigrant circumstances that allowed you to come and study in the US, instead of say... a cholera strickened goat-turd farmer in Ethiopia, or as some peasant in the Indian countryside who got packed off to the slums of a city just to eke out a few rupees a day working in slave hours....

3) probably male, so never had to experience something like being raped and infected with an STD/pregnancy that completely derailed your educational/life plans...

etc etc (just raising examples)

so on and so forth... but all of a sudden everyone who didn't become a dentist or make as much money didn't "worked as hard as you" ??? give me a break!

Income has no correlation on how "hard" you work, or have worked. If you want to use your logic then everyone who makes more than you is working harder.... and that is crap. By the virtue of this logic because I started a mutual fund and sold it for a ****load of money in college, I have worked so much harder than you! Wrong! I guarantee you I didn't work as diligently as the vast majority of people I know. I dunno about you, but while I was in college, my days were spent sailing, playing polo for UCLA, and kiteboarding. Oh that and skipping lectures. No way in hell did I really work "hard" for my source of income. Grocery baggers and nudie booth jizz moppers worked harder than I did.

Granted there are lots of people who are simply too lazy to improve their lot in life, but there are many who are trying all that they can to live their life to the best of their abilities and so their kids can be better off... if a bit of forced income redistribution means some more adequte social services for those marginalized people... so be it? I'm not saying our current progressive tax system is perfect, but at least it's better than some kind of society resembling Fritz Lang's segmented Metropolis.... If you want to wall yourself off in some kind of gated community and etc, by all means, but honestly, what's an extra 30, 40k in taxes?

btw- isn't "compassion" and "willing to help others" a part of being a doctor? Does the value of a patient diminish if he takes less than good care of his oral health? Do you turn away patients based on whether they meet some arbitrary "hard-work" barometer ?

When I decided to go to dental school, my grandfather wrote me a letter. In it he talked of a doctor (back in the 30s) he knew who permanently relocated to rural China with a missionary group, he would spend his days traveling throughout the countryside, his bag of tools and son in tow, and treat peasants for nothing if just a cup of tea and an invitation to share a meal. This doctor "never tried to preach, but rather through his actions became a living sermon: God is love." That is the doctor model I'm striving for, if not in the severity of actions but at least in spirit. When did being a doctor entail dollar-pinching some chump 6 figured salary in pursuit of eventually having pseudo-wealth?

Members don't see this ad :)
mvs04 said:

There are plenty of folks who work their butt to the bone just to make ends meet. I don't know about you, but most dentists I know work 4 days. So you were fortunate enough to have been:

2) born in the US or born into an immigrant circumstances that allowed you to come and study in the US, instead of say... a cholera strickened goat-turd farmer in Ethiopia, or as some peasant in the Indian countryside who got packed off to the slums of a city just to eke out a few rupees a day working in slave hours....

3) probably male, so never had to experience something like being raped and infected with an STD/pregnancy that completely derailed your educational/life plans...

so on and so forth... but all of a sudden everyone who didn't become a dentist or make as much money didn't "worked as hard as you" ??? give me a break!

Income has no correlation on how "hard" you work, or have worked. If you want to use your logic then everyone who makes more than you is working harder.... and that is crap. By the virtue of this logic because I started a mutual fund and sold it for a ****load of money in college, I have worked so much harder than you! Wrong! I guarantee you I didn't work as diligently as the vast majority of people I know. I dunno about you, but while I was in college, my days were spent sailing, playing polo for UCLA, and kiteboarding. Oh that and skipping lectures. No way in hell did I really work "hard" for my source of income. Grocery baggers and nudie booth jizz moppers worked harder than I did.

Granted there are lots of people who are simply too lazy to improve their lot in life, but there are many who are trying all that they can to live their life to the best of their abilities and so their kids can be better off... if a bit of forced income redistribution means some more adequte social services for those marginalized people... so be it? I'm not saying our current progressive tax system is perfect, but at least it's better than some kind of society resembling Fritz Lang's segmented Metropolis.... If you want to wall yourself off in some kind of gated community and etc, by all means, but honestly, what's an extra 30, 40k in taxes?

btw- isn't "compassion" and "willing to help others" a part of being a doctor? Does the value of a patient diminish if he takes less than good care of his oral health? Do you turn away patients based on whether they meet some arbitrary "hard-work" barometer ?

When I decided to go to dental school, my grandfather wrote me a letter. In it he talked of a doctor (back in the 30s) he knew who permanently relocated to rural China with a missionary group, he would spend his days traveling throughout the countryside, his bag of tools and son in tow, and treat peasants for nothing if just a cup of tea and an invitation to share a meal. This doctor "never tried to preach, but rather through his actions became a living sermon: God is love." That is the doctor model I'm striving for, if not in the severity of actions but at least in spirit. When did being a doctor entail dollar-pinching some chump 6 figured salary in pursuit of eventually having pseudo-wealth?

Great, somebody else we can send all the patients who refuse to pay for services to.

mvs04 said:

Feeling a little too sleepy yet to draft a real response to this, so I'll just quote myself from another thread:

aphistis said:
Aw, how cute. I'm glad to see the salary sanctimony is still alive & thriving.

I'll tell you what: you see all your patients at normal fees, saving the hard-working blue collar world, then take the fee checks and sign them over to the people here who actually live in the real world and want to make sure they're earning a decent living in their career. That way you get to be piss-broke and self-righteous, and we all get to make a better living and still not care a rat's what you think. Everybody wins.

*God Bless America playing in the background*

mvs04 said:

What a moving speech! :sleep:

Originally Posted by aphistis
Aw, how cute. I'm glad to see the salary sanctimony is still alive & thriving.

I'll tell you what: you see all your patients at normal fees, saving the hard-working blue collar world, then take the fee checks and sign them over to the people here who actually live in the real world and want to make sure they're earning a decent living in their career. That way you get to be piss-broke and self-righteous, and we all get to make a better living and still not care a rat's what you think. Everybody wins.

I have mixed feelings about this one, on one hand, we are suppose to serve the public and help people out as best as possible, if that means putting someone (no insurance) on a payment plan, so be it!, and if we dont work with under-insured patients, we are looked upon as greedy, arrogant teeth doctors :thumbdown:, but on the other hand, if a dentist walked into any business establishment, consumed products/merchandise and/or received service from the staff and at the end asked for a payment plan, we would be laughed at and you would here soemthing like, "Your a dentist, you have money, this isn't that kind of establishment were we accept I.O.U's" All in all, We are left with a bad taste in our mouth (unlike our prophy patients, no thats funny :laugh: )

My thoughts were along the same lines as mvs. Not only is DrJeff a practicing dentist in Conneticut (a state where patients have high purchasing power), but his wife is also an orthodontist, so they are extremely wealthy. So it suprises me that DrJeff complains that they want to tax him more because no matter what, he is still going to be loaded.

I dont understand why so many people have the mentality that just because a person is poor, they are "lazy". There are plenty of circumstances involved in explaining a person's socioeconomic status and just by labeling one as "lazy" is just a simple scapegoat.

Im sure that many of them are indeed "lazy", but many poor people are very hardworking and there are other reasons why they are poor. Perhaps they didnt have a solid family structure growing up. Can they be blamed for that? Perhaps they are new to this country and didnt have the same opportunities as citizens.....or perhaps they are just not intelligent enough. Should they suffer for this?? People makes mistakes in the past that affect there life in the future, but we all make mistakes, right???

Anyways the point being....sure that tax money will probably be going towards someone that is deemed "lazy", but on the other hand and most importantly, it is also going to people who are hard working and less fortunate than any of us. To me, that makes it worth it.

Dont get me wrong, Im not preaching any form of communism here....all Im saying is that no matter how poor or stupid or disadvantaged someone is, everyone deserves the 3 essential elements of life: BASIC food, shelter, and health.

Dr.BadVibes said:
So it suprises me that DrJeff complains that they want to tax him more because no matter what, he is still going to be loaded.

It's got nothing to do with being loaded. It's about the PERCENTAGE of your income that goes down the tubes. Making 100k and cutting a check for 40k to taxes doesn't feel so good. I'm actually surprised that you're surprised by that. A poll on this board or any other forum would reveal that you are in the minority in your views on this matter.

I dont understand why so many people have the mentality that just because a person is poor, they are "lazy".

Okay, fine, you win. Not everybody who is poor is lazy. Only about 80%.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Im saying is that no matter how poor or stupid or disadvantaged someone is, everyone deserves the 3 essential elements of life: BASIC food, shelter, and health.

Sorry for the double post, but I had to respond to this. Health is NOT an essential element of life when persons are non-compliant and cause their own health problems.

SOME people get cancers for idiopathic reasons (my cousin who passed away 3 years ago at the age of 17 was one of those). Most get cancer as a result of alcohol abuse, smoking, etc. I don't feel bad for those people, and it isn't my job to continually provide them with healthcare support. They can begin to help themselves first and then I'll be glad to help them out. That's what it's all about.

ItsGavinC said:
Okay, fine, you win. Not everybody who is poor is lazy. Only about 80%.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

If you aren't joking: I must say that as the child of extremely hard-working and devoted parents who make next to nothing, you are very incorrect. However, there's no point in arguing with you because it looks like you've made up your mind. Realizing that this "laziness" thing isn't true will only come with time, and personal experience. :)

ChubbyBaby said:

If you aren't joking: I must say that as the child of extremely hard-working and devoted parents who make next to nothing, you are very incorrect. However, there's no point in arguing with you because it looks like you've made up your mind. Realizing that this "laziness" thing isn't true will only come with time, and personal experience. :)

Your parents, who I obviously don't know but according to you work hard and are still poor, would fall into the 20% catergory.

Nothing you've written contradicts what I've written.

My number may be a little high, but I still stand by it. MOST people who are poor are lazy. If they weren't lazy they wouldn't be poor. What excuse do they have?

Of course, I can caveat this by saying this is my opinion and is a result of my experience. Others will have different experiences. I don't disagree that many people have no control or little control over events in their lives that have led them to a state of disparity. I feel for those people and would do anything in my power to assist them.

ItsGavinC said:
My number may be a little high, but I still stand by it. MOST people who are poor are lazy. If they weren't lazy they wouldn't be poor. What excuse do they have?

For your encore you should teach your children how to make fun of the kids at school who eat subsidized hot lunch.

ItsGavinC said:
MOST people who are poor are lazy. If they weren't lazy they wouldn't be poor. What excuse do they have?

Children raised in poverty are 8x more likely to live in poverty as adults than the average child. I'd quote my reference for this stat I used in a sociology paper, but I feel like I'm arguing with a seventh grader.

So, let's assume that laziness is the strongest factor determining poverty like you suggest. Do you think that what a child observes of his/her parents determines a child's work-ethic that strongly (8X)? Probably not. Or wait, maybe this laziness thing is an autosomal dominant mutation in the LZY gene.

Poverty is way more complicated than you're making it out to be.

I think I'm siding with Gavin on this one. I'm not sure on the exact numbers, but there are plenty of people who are content to live off welfare and survive by having babies and living off the government. A good friend of mine spent some time in the ghettos in Memphis (I think) preaching the gospel and was amazed how many people had never worked a day in their lives and his jaw would drop when they cruised by in their escalades. It was a weird society, all the men lived in one house on the block and the rest of the block was filled with the women and children and they really just had babies and collected checks.
We have to remember that most of the "poor" people we know probably are in the 20% that aren't lazy. Think about it, anyone who uses SDN either has a computer or at least access to one. Most of us who are in a university environment don't generally rub shoulders with those who are poor and lazy but we seem to have no hesitations championing their causes.
Note- I'm sure there are one or two of you out there who are an exception to what I just said. Good on ya.

I assume you all are talking about poor Americans and not the poor in general. Either way I disagree with your generalization that the poor are lazy. It is easy to label the poor as being lazy but as previously stated it is a bit more complicated. Many poor children and adults lack the networks that you and I share. How does a poor child learn how to jump through the hoops necessary to graduate from high school or college if their mother and father have never done so themselves. You can’t teach your child what you don’t know. If a poor child is lucky he will find himself in a school that goes out of its way to provide the guidance a support that may be lacking in the home. If this does not occur he will be lost just as his parent were.

Unfortunately in today’s American society we believe that everyone should be college educated and if you are not you are a less of a person. With this we have seen the death trade education in U.S. High Schools. When most of our parents were in H.S. they had to choose between the college track and one of many trades. This gave graduates options and earning power. Today a high school diploma gives you nothing more than a license to flip burgers.

Poverty is the result of despair not laziness.

Don't waste your money.
Go to the cheapest program you can find.

The real learning begins once you are out of dental school.

The "DDS" will be your license to learn.

regards, soso.

ItsGavinC said:
Yet this despair may be overcome by hard work in most instances.

I don't disagree that many people have no control or little control over events in their lives that have led them to a state of disparity. I feel for those people and would do anything in my power to assist them.

I think you are conflicting with yourself. Mexican and other illegal immigrants have risked their life to get into the States. They have worked in many of dirty jobs in such a horrible condition to better their life and and their family at home. They're such a hard working group of people I've seen. Their earning money is stained with sweat, tear and sometime their blood. They clean our toilets, do our yardworks, pick our fruits and vegetables, build our houses and highways, cut our meats while constantly be harrassed by some anti-immigrant groups of people and law enforcing agencies. Do they deserve our help when having life threating or emergency conditions at our ER ? Do their children deserve our help with education and job training to better their life ? I don't mind paying extra taxes helping this group of people. What is your stand ?

HuyetKiem said:
I think you are conflicting with yourself. Mexican and other illegal immigrants have risked their life to get into the States. They have worked in many of dirty jobs in such a horrible condition to better their life and and their family at home. They're such a hard working group of people I've seen. Their earning money is stained with sweat, tear and sometime their blood. They clean our toilets, do our yardworks, pick our fruits and vegetables, build our houses and highways, cut our meats while constantly be harrassed by some anti-immigrant groups of people and law enforcing agencies. Do they deserve our help when having life threating or emergency conditions at our ER ? Do their children deserve our help with education and job training to better their life ? I don't mind paying extra taxes helping this group of people. What is your stand ?
You have an excellent point, Mexican immigrants are some of the hardest workers I've ever met. My economics-major buddy is all in favor of completely opening the borders but I haven't studied it enough to form my own opinion on this issue.

As for the American-born who live most of their lives in poverty, they either lack the knowledge, the means, or the motivation to change their circumstances. I think that in too many cases it is the motivation even though, as many have stated, this is largely a result of their surroundings. It's still lazy.

I love the organizations like Habitat for Humanity that reach out and help those who truly desire the help and want to get back on their own two feet.

mvs04 said:

I cut out the rest of the quote to save space. That was the dumbest post I've ever read in any internet forum. I mean really, really dumb. Wow, my head is spinning it was so dumb.

Financial rewards and hard work aren't linked? WTF? So dumb...

Dr.BadVibes said:
My thoughts were along the same lines as mvs. Not only is DrJeff a practicing dentist in Conneticut (a state where patients have high purchasing power), but his wife is also an orthodontist, so they are extremely wealthy. So it suprises me that DrJeff complains that they want to tax him more because no matter what, he is still going to be loaded.
So at what point should a person start giving away their earnings? After the first $150K? $250K? I guess no one should be allowed to be a millionaire. No one's personal net worth should be over about $800K b/c they're loaded enough at that point and rest should go to poor slobs? Commrade, that's called socialism. If you like it, move to Sweden and STFU.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I dont understand why so many people have the mentality that just because a person is poor, they are "lazy". There are plenty of circumstances involved in explaining a person's socioeconomic status and just by labeling one as "lazy" is just a simple scapegoat.
Being poor is caused by a series of poor life decisions, the first of which was the decision to be lazy. Digging a ditch is hard work, fine, but the ditchdigger made a lazy decision not to care about school and education. I framed houses for a living in college. The guys I worked with never thought about the future or managing money, much less and education. They were lazy when it came down to important issues. It was their choice and it doesn't bother me as long as they don't demand a cut of my income through welfare.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Im sure that many of them are indeed "lazy", but many poor people are very hardworking and there are other reasons why they are poor. Perhaps they didnt have a solid family structure growing up. Can they be blamed for that? Perhaps they are new to this country and didnt have the same opportunities as citizens.....or perhaps they are just not intelligent enough. Should they suffer for this?? People makes mistakes in the past that affect there life in the future, but we all make mistakes, right???
I'm not talking about poor people in other countries. Poor people in the US can be blamed for their situation. If they grew up in a ****ty home they should have thought about how they were going to rise above instead of giving up. If they really are mentally handicapped of course I don't hold their situation against them.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Anyways the point being....sure that tax money will probably be going towards someone that is deemed "lazy", but on the other hand and most importantly, it is also going to people who are hard working and less fortunate than any of us. To me, that makes it worth it.

Dont get me wrong, Im not preaching any form of communism here....all Im saying is that no matter how poor or stupid or disadvantaged someone is, everyone deserves the 3 essential elements of life: BASIC food, shelter, and health.
My money is my money. If you want some of it, offer me a good or service I'm interested in, much as omfsres's mother does. If I decide to give my money to a charity, so be it. If the libs in congress try to take, they can go f--- themselves.

PS: Food, shelter, and health are not human rights. Life and liberty are rights. Food and shelter have always had to be grown, made, or bought. In centuries past people who didn't work for these things died. Today they get a part of my paycheck. Health is not a right. No one ever guaranteed you would be healthy.

That's right, I just posted three times in a row.

ChubbyBaby said:

Did you parents get married at a young age? Did they have more kids than they could afford? Did they have kids too early (before they were able to afford them or at a time that kids would prevent one or both from going to school)? Did they have cable TV? Did they devote themselves to their education while in grade school and high school so that they could enter college or were they content to get through school without really thinking about the future?

Look, it's harsh, I know. I know you're going to be pissed that I'm questioning your mom and dad, but I believe that anyone in America today can make money and move up in society with good life choices.

BTW, how do you define "poor"? Poor people in America would be rich anywhere else in the world. I love the way lazy/poor people in America whine b/c they don't have enough money for a second car and third TV.

USUaggie said:
As for the American-born who live most of their lives in poverty, they either lack the knowledge, the means, or the motivation to change their circumstances.

I think the issue is that knowledge, means, and motivation are not separate entities. These things mix up, party together, and influence each other. :D (You may have suggested this in your following sentence, but I couldn't understand.) It's hard to have motivation if you know that the work you put into something won't achieve as much ends as someone who puts in minimal effort with tons of resources/means. I know what you might be thinking: "well, screw that, just rise above it." The thing is that it's soo easy to say that with all your knowledge and values. Transplant anybody on SDN's brain into a kid in a terribly poor family, and I'm sure you'd be successful. But grow up as that kid, and it's different. :)

tx oms said:
...but I believe that anyone in America today can make money and move up in society with good life choices.

I fully agree with your above statement. You could list quite a few examples of people who started with nothing and ended up having career success as a dentist, teacher, doctor, accountant (some become literally billionaires). But how often does that really happen? I guess I'm thinking of things on more of a large scale, very poor people as a group. And as a group I think things are tougher.

I could list examples of barriers that may sound trivial, but they are real, and when added up, it takes its tole on overall success.

Also, you mentioned that people were lazy in the choice of pursuing education. Maybe laziness is a factor. But if nobody in your family ever graduated from college, and you never saw the fruits of education close-up, you might be a little skeptical. It seems so blatently obvious: "the more educated you are, more money you get!" But these are values you know because you've experienced it. Maybe you have somebody in your family that has an advanced degree in say medicine, dentistry, law, accounting. And they have really raked it in.

Also, even if you make the realization that education can bear fruits, and you do go to college (first in your family), it still might be difficult. For example, let's say you want to pursue medicine. From what I understand, these days most medicial schools really want you to have some research experience. If you don't have at least one experience, it can be a barrier to getting accepted . Now, what on earth is research?! I mean, I know what research is. :laugh: But if you're new on the block to this whole education thing, couldn't you see that it might be very tough to have an appreciation for this very esoteric activity? That kid might get accepted, but as a group, it's just another one of those little things that add up.

Thanks for your post tex_oms. And no, i'm not pissed. You are a little harsh in your posts, but they are generally pretty intelligent. :) ;)

P.S. All this time i've been talking about very poor americans. I don't know anything about mexican or other immigrants. Generally, poverty begets poverty, and that is why I would not mind paying high taxes when I'm rich. There will always be a segment of society that is poor (it's the way our economic system works). And as a unified group of people (Americans), i think we have the duty to look out for one another (and at least show sympathy and not be prejudicial by saying "all poor people are lazy").

HuyetKiem said:

Our family business was raided by the INS several years ago and this story made national headlines (http://www.americas.org/item_9015). Our business employees mostly illegal immigrants because citizens (specifically caucasians) won't do the work that is required. The illegals are MUCH harder workers and put in a strong day's work. You don't need to lecture me on the benefits of their work ethic.

tx oms said:
Look, it's harsh, I know. I know you're going to be pissed that I'm questioning your mom and dad, but I believe that anyone in America today can make money and move up in society with good life choices.

I believe this to be true as well.

ChubbyBaby said:
....The thing is that it's soo easy to say that with all your knowledge and values. Transplant anybody on SDN's brain into a kid in a terribly poor family, and I'm sure you'd be successful. But grow up as that kid, and it's different. :)
I completely agree with you, but whether or not it is there fault, it's still laziness. This laziness is something they are taught because they see that they can still get by being lazy, so they are. I think we're saying the same theng.

Laziness is invariably one of the reasons behind poverty. No doubt about it, and I understand the opinions of those echoing this point.

But let us not forget that perhaps 99% of the world's impoverished -- mostly outside of the OECD nations -- are poor because of the social systems that have been placed on them for generations. Persecution because of race, religion, ethnicity, etc...

Sure, the poor may be poor because they're lazy. But if I grew up in a neighborhood where 9 out of 10 people my age skipped school, got into drugs, and came from broken homes, I'd most likely be 'lazy' and poor as well.

Is it my fault that I was 'born' in such a neighborhood? Maybe, maybe not... but laziness is NOT the biggest factor behind poverty, unless you want to blame people for being born to 'lazy' and poor conditions.

Boy, I should vent about taxes more often, it really starts some great discussion :D

Here's my intention of my vent, and you can argue all the socio-economic mumbo jumbo that you want to. I have some of what I feel are stupid legislators(to back it up they even want to vote down a clause in my states dental practice act that would allow PGY1 as a licensing option, and "squash" a portion of the bill that would allow all of 6 foriegn trained dentists per year to enter a 3 year program to become licensed in CT because they're worried about taking away business from the US trained dentists). These legislators as a way to help close the projected 1.8 Billion dollar budget deficit want to tax my income bracket more. These same "brilliant legislators" all the while realizing there will be a deficit have proposed a budget with spending increases of over 650 million dollars. Hmm, if I don't have the money, I spend less, not more. Quite a simple clause unless of course you've been voted into office :mad:

My issue, last year my wife and I paid over 6 figures in taxes :eek: Yes, we brought home over 6 figures too, but at the end of the year when you look at how much the government kept, its a HUGE number. I'm all for paying my fair share of taxes, and yes they do have some very good programs that taxes support, but the abuses of these programs and realizing that it's MY money that's going into the pockets of some of these welfare abusers really, really SUCKS! I can't tell you how many patients on Title 19(what we call medicaid in CT) that are pleading poverty but driving around in brand new big SUV's an luxury sedans. :confused: :mad: I can't tell you how many folks on fixed incomes, living social security check to social security check pleading poverty that i've seen the day their checks come out each month at the gaming tables of the two local Indian Casinos by my house :confused: I can't tell you how many people on title 19 that will come in with brand new $150 Nikes, or talking about the game the night before they watched at home on their plasma TV, or the person whose infront of you in line at the grocery store buying Filet Mignon at $15/pound with food stamps. I could go on and on and on.

I have no problem with my tax dollars helping the struggling parent of a couple of kids working for minimum wage at Walmart(coincidentally the largest employer of employed people on Title 19 in CT). But all the abuses I see is what gets me. And then these legislators want more of my money of which ultimately a portion of which will go to help those abusing the system. wait a few years and many of you will have the same realization/frustration because there is alot of abuse of the system out there. It's for that very reason that you should never, never feel guilty about your fees or your income levels. You truely have worked to get that reward.

ItsGavinC said:
Our family business was raided by the INS several years ago and this story made national headlines (http://www.americas.org/item_9015). Our business employees mostly illegal immigrants because citizens (specifically caucasians) won't do the work that is required. The illegals are MUCH harder workers and put in a strong day's work. You don't need to lecture me on the benefits of their work ethic.

Sorry for offending you. I'm just angry to some of the Anti-Immigrant Bills in Arizona's legislature right now. If anybody DOES care, he/she should sign the petition in this link:

http://www.defeat200.org/index.php

HB2030: “Prop 200 on Steroids” (Sponsor: Rep. Boone)
If passed, this bill would expand Prop 200 to ban undocumented immigrants from programs including Adult Education (ESL & GED), Family Literacy, Adoption, Health and Housing. It forces employees at state agencies, universities and community colleges to check immigration status and report undocumented persons to the INS. State employees failing to report face jail time & fines. Also denies undocumented immigrants financial aid, scholarships and in-state tuition at any state university or community college (was previously a separate bill, HB2264). STATUS: Passed House on 3/24/05 by 33-26-1. Now before the Senate.

HCR2030 English Only (Sponsor: Rep. Pearce)
If passed, the 2006 general election ballot would carry the question of amending the state constitution to replace its existing requirement for English to be the official state language with a new section that requires the official functions of government to be conducted in English only. Will require election ballots to be in English only.
STATUS: Passed House on 3/24/05 by 31-29-0. Now before the Senate.

HB2592 Ban on State Funding for Day Labor Work Centers (Sponsor: Rep. Rosati)
If passed, cities and towns would be prohibited from maintaining or building a day labor center if it’s used to facilitate the hiring of undocumented workers. Bans public funding for day labor centers.
STATUS: Passed House on 3/14/05 by 33-22-5. Now before the Senate, assigned to Government and Rules Committees.

HB 2386 Police-Border Patrol Cooperation to Detain Immigrants (Sponsor: Rep. Pearce)
If passed, would allow police to temporarily detain an undocumented immigrant who is arrested for purposes of calling Border Patrol & facilitating deportation. Status: Still in the House, but could be attached to Senate bills at any time.

HB2259 Harsher Sentencing for Undocumented Immigrants Charged with Crimes (Sponsor: Rep. Gray)
If passed, judges could consider immigration status an “aggravating factor” in sentencing to impose harsher sentences. STATUS: Passed House on 3/8/05 by 39-19-2. Now before the Senate, being held by Judicial Committee

USUaggie said:
You have an excellent point, Mexican immigrants are some of the hardest workers I've ever met. My economics-major buddy is all in favor of completely opening the borders but I haven't studied it enough to form my own opinion on this issue.

I'm kidda pissed. I have paid lots of income tax, properties tax and sale taxes since my first job, first house, first car ... and indirectly supported dental students through their free/low interest sub/unsub loans, low instate tuition or other form of government assistance aids. What did they do ? Many of them have turned their back on these poor, hard working illegal immigrants who have helped keeping our cost of living down through their cheap labor. Sorry for my venting. Final exam week does get into my nerves :( :(

So, back to the original question (though banter is always appreciated, and this may cause some), does where you go matter?

Probably not. UNLESS you want to do a specialty like OMFS or ortho (chosen because they are arguabley the two most difficult to get into at present). Follow with me here - often where you go to dental school determines who you know, and who you know can sure help determine where you can go (residency) when everyone is considered well-qualified.

Think about it, if you have ever asked a faculty member in say ortho or OMFS about what programs they would suggest you look at, likely you'll get a few top programs across the board and a few which that person has connections to or knows someone at. If you then apply to those places, you come with a letter (presumably) that carries a little more weight in that the evaluator is known by and perhaps held in high esteem by the program you are applying to. Does it get you in? NO. Can it be the difference between you and 5 other great applicants if it comes down to filling one last interview spot? SURE.

Overall, I'd agree that you should go where you'll be happy while getting a good ecucation for as little $$$ as possible. That's why I came 2000 miles to UNC - great school, $8-10K/yr in tuition, the town is great for a family, and we have the best hoops team in the land...this year. You should definitely go where you'll be able to look back on dental school with good memories. But keep in the back of your mind where you want to end up (in my case ortho), cause your school might help you get into the specialty you want more than you realize.

babobabo said:
Is it my fault that I was 'born' in such a neighborhood? Maybe, maybe not... but laziness is NOT the biggest factor behind poverty, unless you want to blame people for being born to 'lazy' and poor conditions.
I blame people for allowing themselves to be a victim of their situation rather than rising above.

ChubbyBaby said:
I'd quote my reference for this stat I used in a sociology paper, but I feel like I'm arguing with a seventh grader.

Yeah, good take. Ironically, it's always the sixth-graders who refuse to cite sources in their papers.

ChubbyBaby said:
I fully agree with your above statement. You could list quite a few examples of people who started with nothing and ended up having career success as a dentist, teacher, doctor, accountant (some become literally billionaires). But how often does that really happen? QUOTE]

I agree. We fail to realize the great opportunities many of us on here have because of our upbringing. The wealth or parents and grandparents have accumulated as well as the importance of education, hard work, etc. Some people have not been given these gifts. I think it unfair to say that to be poor is due to laziness. Some of the hardest workers are blue collar workers who make very little. Can you say they are lazy? Lazy in school, maybe? But does everyone have to be good in school or college educated to be labeled a hard worker? Some people have different talents and intelligences--the ability to work with your hands, to be a musician, to be a good test taker, and laziness in school maybe be due to other factors such as lack of affinity or interest.

Laziness isn't the only factor. Some people never have the opportunity to escape poverty, especially if you aren't blessed with an extremely capable mind or unusual motivation.

Lastly, how many lazy rich kids do you know? I know plenty, but somehow they stay rich. If family background has little to do with it and work ethic is the main factor then I am really confused.

tx oms said:
I blame people for allowing themselves to be a victim of their situation rather than rising above.

You are right. People who carry negative characteristics such as laziness do not deserve to have worldy wealth. In fact, ones wealth directly correlates with work ethic. Look at Paris Hilton. . .she must be one of the hardworkingest girls in the country. After all, she is worth how many $$$$$, and yet she is so young. :cool:

:laugh:
reLAXgirl said:
You are right. People who carry negative characteristics such as laziness do not deserve to have worldy wealth. In fact, ones wealth directly correlates with work ethic. Look at Paris Hilton. . .she must be one of the hardworkingest girls in the country. After all, she is worth how many $$$$$, and yet she is so young. :cool:

Paris Hilton is very hard working in bars and clubs only. :laugh:

reLAXgirl said:
... In fact, ones wealth directly correlates with work ethic. Look at Paris Hilton. . .she must be one of the hardworkingest girls in the country. After all, she is worth how many $$$$$, and yet she is so young. :cool:
"hardworkingest girls" Is that what they call it now in Iowa?!
Paris Hilton was born rich, period! She couldn't even hold a decent conversation if her life depends on it! I don't know what you mean by hardest working girl but I do know what she's really good at ;)