Does Undergrad Institute really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctormo24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got to FIU, Florida International University. Its a great school, i dont know if its well known else where besides FL. Anyone heard of it? I was wondering whether your undergrad school really matters to adcoms? Does it kind of have an effect on your selection to med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Going to the best school possible will always help. However, if you're a top student and go to a school that prepares you well, you can go anywhere. People from my school go to very good places after graduation. But statistically, FAR less people end up in great places from schools like mine than from schools that are huge names [Harvard, etc.]. I guess I forgot to say I go to the University of Tennessee. I have not really heard of exceptional students being discriminated against b/c of the school they attended.

Adcoms know the schools that send them large numbers of applicants. LORs from some pre-med advisors will provide information about the school itself if it is among the less well known, This might include the average gpa of med school applicants and/or the average gpa of all students (to show that grad inflation has not affected xyz college), and may describe the school's ranking in US News, etc.

I think that less selective colleges (avg SAT <1400) are less well known overall. To impress an adcom you need to have an excellent gpa (because a less selective school is perceived as less academically demanding) and an excellent MCAT (because this is a test that everyone takes and makes it possible to make a fair comparison of students from different schools).

If you have a gpa of >3.5 and an MCAT >30 you will be considered as good as a Yale or Harvard grad with a similar MCAT (although the aver. MCAT at those schools is even higher, around 32).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt mind going out of state and I wouldnt mind staying in FL. Thinking right now, I would love to go out of state and I would love to stay in FL.

If you have a gpa of >3.5 and an MCAT >30 you will be considered as good as a Yale or Harvard grad with a similar MCAT (although the aver. MCAT at those schools is even higher, around 32).[/QUOTE]

no, that's quite untrue. i'm at an Ivy and pretty much everyone from here who tries gets into a med school, including the guys with 3.3's, 3.2's, some even with sub 3.0's. Only the people who really **** up (ie no clinicals, low gpa + low mcat) dont get into some allopathic med school at least after reapplying. med schools know what a gpa from harvard, penn, etc means in comparison to a gpa from UFlorida, etc. I was at a med school fair last semester when a UF admissions officer told me pretty blatantly they regarded a 3.5 kid from FL at Harvard as at least equivalent to a 4.0 from their own undergrad. looking at mdapplicants.com, it seems that at HYP, a 3.7+ will get you into a top 20, a 3.5+ gets you into a top40, a 3.3+ gets you into a top 60 or your state school, etc. ..., but i do think there's a big disparity between different ivies too in their rel. adv.'s for med school admissions.

all other things being equal, if you do well at any school, etc, you'll do well, but attending a selective school does open doors in medicine, like it does in other fields, that attending another school does not.

Doctormo24 said:
I got to FIU, Florida International University. Its a great school, i dont know if its well known else where besides FL. Anyone heard of it? I was wondering whether your undergrad school really matters to adcoms? Does it kind of have an effect on your selection to med schools?

we can all believe what we want; so lets just go ahead and say it doesnt make a difference. Honestly tho, what can you do even if it does. If it doesnt will you start to slack all of a sudden? Whatever you do and whereever you go you have to be at the top. Best of luck

i think it does matter to some extent, i know when i go to my interviews i will get at least one question in regards to my schools reputation...