Does where in the US you do your elective matter? (IMG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Razzamataz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how much it matters where you do your elective? I am set to do a US elective. It's in a good IM subspecialty however it's at a small mid west program. I was delighted to have the opportunity to get proper USCE because I have not sat step 1 yet but now I'm worried any LOR's from there won't make much difference to my application seeing as its not a mid-top tier program. I'd be interested in applying to the East coast and some Mid West programs too when it comes to residency time. I'm finding it difficult to obtain a second US elective at the moment. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard from my medical school, being placed and doing well at a known site is an advantage, of course. HOWEVER, any LOR from an away rotation will give you a leg up because it proves your ability and competency at a program that is technically unbiased regarding your match. That said, enjoy the elective and work hard. You'll still be better off then students who choose not to do aways. :)

Reactions: 1 users