don't go to USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone else have an views on USC.

Members don't see this ad.

I have three acceptances (turned down NYU after interview) and am leaning towards USC. My friends that are there, 4th , 3rd and a 2nd year love it. They say that BPL is weird but that they have learned enough. No clinical problems, but they speak spanish and say they get a lot of patients b/c of that.

I know a lot of other students that had multiple acceptances and all choose USC for one reason or another. It happens every year and it will continue to happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know but I think I am changing my mind and going to USC, I can't decide! that is why I have been reading this thread like ten times.

Your predents profile says you attend western!!!

Oh boy, interviewing at USC on the 5th of March. Making the trip all the way from Toronto, Canada. Hopefully it's worth it. I got rejected from BU today anyways. Lousy day.

good luck on the interview and crew if you choose usc you will enjoy it here it is great.

With respect to this article - I know Dr. Schuler, he is a very nice and ethical man. He left USC awhile ago (take from that what you will).

I just wanted to ensure that Dr Schuler was not given a bad rap for this article, he truly believes in PBL, but USC has a great number of other problems (as people have complained about above).

I see no conspiracy here. What people don't understand is that a lot of USC alumni are in high positions b/c the school used to be great. They churned out a lot of good alumni who went on to great things. Many innovations came out of SC in its hey day. Those alumni are still alive and kicking. Hopefully the school irons out their new curriculum....and FAST.

So to accuse a well respected dentist by a bunch of nobodies (Sorry but that's what you and I are.) is pretty silly. You don't think he is so arrogant as to not think what his peers and colleagues would think or that his reputation and standing in the dental community might be sullied?

I just started looking into SC, and so far I dont like what I have been reading....but someone did mention that they would like to know ONE positive about the school.

Well it is this: They have a very large and wide alumni network. They have had many decades to build upon this alumni base. If you go into any city where there is an alumni, they will probably help you out or choose you as an associate over someone else. This I got from my own personal dentist, years ago, when I asked him on why he went to SC. I don't know anything else positive about the school, but this is the only thing I am sure of.

This thread was an interesting read. I appreciate all of your different inputs, especially: seansk, columbia07, youngmc27, ucsf2012.

Last edited:
can you believe we only had two sessions of dental anesthesia?? and until this year, there was no class for this course, basically you practice two times and you need to how to give injections.

lmao. no wonder why my dentist (USC grad) is so bad at this... he made me cry when he tried to numb me...

Yeaa.. I dont get USC.

I was under the impression that they will be sending out their next batch of acceptances at the end of February as many of you are saying.

I called them today and they said this is not true and they cannot give me an exact date of when they will send the next acceptances. She said that they have periodically been sending out acceptances since Dec. 1st and that this will continue all the way until the first day of class.

I thought they only sent out their first batch on Dec. 1st, but i guess NOT!

anybody heard anything else?

Yeaa.. I dont get USC.

I was under the impression that they will be sending out their next batch of acceptances at the end of February as many of you are saying.

I called them today and they said this is not true and they cannot give me an exact date of when they will send the next acceptances. She said that they have periodically been sending out acceptances since Dec. 1st and that this will continue all the way until the first day of class.

I thought they only sent out their first batch on Dec. 1st, but i guess NOT!

anybody heard anything else?

I'm also curious about this. Brian told us that we will be notified near the end of february. Any news people?

jw.. did anyone changed their minds about USC after reading this thread?
I personally like the school..

This thread was a great read, but it didn't change MY mind. I'm going to be there in the fall and am so excited about it. I think it is important though, because now we can go in with our eyes wide open, know what to expect, and hopefully, help promote positive changes!

I'm still planning on attending. I've received other offers, but I plan on USC. In all reality, everyone could start a "don't go to ___" thread for any school. Every school has some wierd quirk or problem. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a 4th year at Case who said not to go there. I have another friend at Nova who said not to go to Nova. Everyone of us are different. You should go to the school where you can do the best, and where you're most compatible with.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude you really dont get it USC was not accredited this year. they totally failed. the current 4th years are having trouble graduating because you cant get license from school that is not accredited. you people are just going because of the name or because you didnt get in anywhere else, but it literally is the worst school to go to right now. do your research about the school before you decide, esp paying 100 a yr. why do you want to go to a school that is not accredited. might as well not go. name of the school doesnt mean anything at this point of the game. good luck with that.

I just love the TOTAL misinformation and OUT and OUT LIES that perpetuate on this board. Where in the world did you get your information from? A cereal box? USC did not lose their accreditation. Also if you check it out USC graduates do great on the WREBs. Say DUDE lay off the ganja that last synapse is misfiring. Oh...oh...I get it. YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING that you read on these boards without checking anything out....yeah I get it now.

I just love the TOTAL misinformation and OUT and OUT LIES that perpetuate on this board. Where in the world did you get your information from? A cereal box? USC did not lose their accreditation. Also if you check it out USC graduates do great on the WREBs. Say DUDE lay off the ganja that last synapse is misfiring. Oh...oh...I get it. YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING that you read on these boards without checking anything out....yeah I get it now.

I understand that you are upset that he/she attacked your alma moder (without evidence) but relax and try to prove him/her wrong by showing how good a graduate from USC ds can be (not how immature).

I know many 09s that have completed there requirements are and moving onto speciaty programs GPRs and AEGDs or going to work right out. I have heard that it is difficult to find jobs now but look at the economy that is happening in all professions accept maybe MLB in the NFL. I know USC has problems so do all the other schools out there but I love it here and I am glad that I chose USC over the other options that I had. I hope this helps.

dude you really dont get it USC was not accredited this year. they totally failed. the current 4th years are having trouble graduating because you cant get license from school that is not accredited. you people are just going because of the name or because you didnt get in anywhere else, but it literally is the worst school to go to right now. do your research about the school before you decide, esp paying 100 a yr. why do you want to go to a school that is not accredited. might as well not go. name of the school doesnt mean anything at this point of the game. good luck with that.

stupid

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/programs/search_ddsdmd_us.asp

University of Southern California School of Dentistry
925 W. 34th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90089-6041
Dean: Sigmund H. Abelson
Phone: (213) 740-3124
Accreditation Status: Approval with Reporting Requirements
Last Accreditation Visit: 2008
Next Accreditation Visit: 2015

I got this information in 2 seconds with a click of a mouse. There were Reporting requirements but the key and operative word here is APPROVAL.

Two frigging seconds. At least a PBL taught dentist would have the where- with-all to check things out. Maybe PBL isn't such a bad thing afterall. I suffer fools very badly. If you are going to talk trash then better be able to back it up baby. Two frigging seconds...

FYI by the way my Alma Mater is UOP. I did my graduate work at USC.

Oh, and for you other trash talkers out there two other schools also have the same Accreditation status as USC (and were seen by CODA in 2008). Both the University of Oklahoma and Tufts University have the same status as USC: Approval with reporting requirements.

Check out your facts people. The light of day is very bright.

lmao. no wonder why my dentist (USC grad) is so bad at this... he made me cry when he tried to numb me...

remember this quote, and then let us know what you think after you've treated enough patients. Dental injections, with the exception of maybe palatal or ant. buccal infiltrates, do not hurt that bad unless patient is crazy, hyper anxious, have an extremely low threshold for pain, or basically just a pain in the ass.

haha you guys are funny. Get into a dental school first!

After firing their dean, maybe USC dental school will recover. Maybe not. We just have to wait and see I guess.

After firing their dean, maybe USC dental school will recover. Maybe not. We just have to wait and see I guess.

Maybe a cow will fly over and **** on your lip, who knows we'll wait and see I guess.

USC is fine and a lot of people want to go there that cna't get in.

Just a quick update for some of the things discussed earlier on this thread as well as every other USC bashing thread:

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/update/may09/DEANSREPORT.html

"May is an exciting and busy time at our school. May 15 is graduation. Congratulations to our senior class. They have proven to be an exceptional class that our school can be very proud of.

This year, we expect that 90 percent of the senior class will graduate on time. This significant achievement has occurred because of the dedication and caring of the faculty and staff who have supported the students throughout their clinical education."

Even though it is not yet 100%, this is still an enormous improvement over where we were two years ago.

Great info, thanks.
We sometimes tend to believe everything we see on here. Sometimes posts are really helpful but there are some posts that are just arrogant and sarcastic. It is good to know that USC expects 90% of their seniors to graduate. I personally heard they had a low graduation rate, but 90% is a great rate. I will be looking forward to applying next year.

Just a quick update for some of the things discussed earlier on this thread as well as every other USC bashing thread:

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/update/may09/DEANSREPORT.html

"May is an exciting and busy time at our school. May 15 is graduation. Congratulations to our senior class. They have proven to be an exceptional class that our school can be very proud of.

This year, we expect that 90 percent of the senior class will graduate on time. This significant achievement has occurred because of the dedication and caring of the faculty and staff who have supported the students throughout their clinical education."

Even though it is not yet 100%, this is still an enormous improvement over where we were two years ago.

the (universal) negative feedback about usc i'm seeing in this thread is pretty mind-blowing. I hope the ada shines their light on the mismanagement of this institution. Definitely lost me and i'm sure a lot of others as future applicants.
+2

With the new dean that did really well at Case Western, one would predict that the grad. rate will at least be maintained around 90% and that new implementations will be put in place to help D3, D4 students finish their requirements on time. I wonder what % of students graduate at other schools.

Dental school is hard to get in period. USC is a good school. I have a D3 friend at USC and he is doing fine.

The way I see it, the people talking **** about USC are just jealous that they don't have the $ to go to USC (and California) and have to reside at a ghetto area in a ghetto school for 4 years.

Go to USC.

Dental school is hard to get in period. USC is a good school. I have a D3 friend at USC and he is doing fine.

The way I see it, the people talking **** about USC are just jealous that they don't have the $ to go to USC (and California) and have to reside at a ghetto area in a ghetto school for 4 years.

Go to USC.

I don't think USC is exactly in a very good area of CA. In fact, it is in a pretty bad neighborhood. Also, who wants to pay the most expensive tuition in the country when you have to teach yourself pretty much everything and 3,4 years feel miserable about their clinic situation?

Go to USC.

Awwww, poor baby, are you one of the brainwashed "you learn to love PBL" students, looool

and honey, dont say ghetto too much, you remind of the community usc is located in, you must think its located in ur beverly hills area

chao:laugh:

I don't think USC is exactly in a very good area of CA. In fact, it is in a pretty bad neighborhood. Also, who wants to pay the most expensive tuition in the country when you have to teach yourself pretty much everything and 3,4 years feel miserable about their clinic situation?

I'm sure sitting in lecture 5 hour a day will surely teach you more than studying on your own at home. lol

Hey UPenn...you spend an inordinate amount of time bashing USC. What's the matter got upennis envy? Jealous? Why don't you just go back to that "wonderful" , "Best of area" of Philly that UPenn resides in and lock your door with those two deadbolts and stay there.

Hey UPenn...you spend an inordinate amount of time bashing USC. What's the matter got upennis envy? Jealous? Why don't you just go back to that "wonderful" , "Best of area" of Philly that UPenn resides in and lock your door with those two deadbolts and stay there.

Yes you are right. I envy their strong student body, their awesome clinic with high graduation rate, their self-teaching PBL, their safe and beautiful neighborhood, and their cheap tuition.

Most likely this guy was accepted to both schools, chose to go to upenn and now is constantly defending his choice by bashing USC.

Yes you are right. I envy their strong student body, their awesome clinic with high graduation rate, their self-teaching PBL, their safe and beautiful neighborhood, and their cheap tuition.

Why so negative? No one is bashing your school

Most likely this guy was accepted to both schools, chose to go to upenn and now is constantly defending his choice by bashing USC.

For some perspective, UPenn has the HIGHEST educational expense for dental schools as of the online published rates for 2008 (you have to back out living expense for both schools to compare). UPenn sits in a WORSE neighborhood than USC (talk about 'hoods). USC grads pass the Western Regional Board (WREB) at a mid 90% clip. AND Licensure is where it is at...not bragging about how high your DAT score was which will mean absolutely nothing for dental licensure or for getting into a specialty program. Brag on UPenn...brag on...

For some perspective, UPenn has the HIGHEST educational expense for dental schools as of the online published rates for 2008 (you have to back out living expense for both schools to compare). UPenn sits in a WORSE neighborhood than USC (talk about 'hoods). USC grads pass the Western Regional Board (WREB) at a mid 90% clip. AND Licensure is where it is at...not bragging about how high your DAT score was which will mean absolutely nothing for dental licensure or for getting into a specialty program. Brag on UPenn...brag on...

:thumbup:

Didn't we all hate competing with other highly super smart kids at our undergrad? Well that happens all over again at UPENN...cough 3.7 average gpa.. average age 23

Yeah, well it is post May 1 and your DAT score is as superfluous and as irrelevant as your PSAT score. The guy (or gal) sitting next to you in DS class isn't going to ask you for your scores. Except UPenn08 who probably has his PSAT score framed over his night stand. Good luck in school Army. Now the real work begins and it is not all about the head, hands mean a lot to a dentist, and hard work pays off in D school.

I looked up the link http://dentistry.usc.edu/doctoral.aspx?id=912and I saw that they charge $165 each year for "Dental Gown Usage Fee." Can somebody explain me why they would charge that much money each year for dental gown usage? Maybe I am missing something here.

The 'Graduate Orientation Fee' is only $0 a year, EACH year!! What a steal!

That is crazy to hear all this about USC does anyone know how true it is. IF it is looks like I might have to take it off my list. Anyone please tell what you know about USC.