Don't let your MCAT stop you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRDADTB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bear wth me for a minute and hear me out.

I am the father of a son matriculating this August. During the course of MCAT, application, interviews, waiting and acceptance I have watched and learned much about the process many of you are going through. Unless schools are the perverbial score ******, the MCAT score has been devalued as a determining factor in med school acceptance.

My son only applied to two allo schools with an MCAT of....................24, two interviews, one acceptance withdrew from the second after the acceptance.

Along with his MCAT he had a 3.97 GPA Bio/Chem, 3 year college football letter, three year bio student of the year, Ortho shadowing between junior and serior year and a well rounded social life.

You follow these threads long enough and you will see people scoring in the low 30s that don't get in.

Do not lose faith, make your app show your entire person, get an interview and knock their socks off.

Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

DRDADTB said:
Bear wth me for a minute and hear me out.

I am the father of a son matriculating this August. During the course of MCAT, application, interviews, waiting and acceptance I have watched and learned much about the process many of you are going through. Unless schools are the perverbial score ******, the MCAT score has been devalued as a determining factor in med school acceptance.

My son only applied to two allo schools with an MCAT of....................24, two interviews, one acceptance withdrew from the second after the acceptance.

Along with his MCAT he had a 3.97 GPA Bio/Chem, 3 year college football letter, three year bio student of the year, Ortho shadowing between junior and serior year and a well rounded social life.

You follow these threads long enough and you will see people scoring in the low 30s that don't get in.

Do not lose faith, make your app show your entire person, get an interview and knock their socks off.

Good luck to all.

While I agree with your sentiments, I'm not so sure many people with a very low MCAT will be able to even get to the interview stage and "knock their socks off". Based on AAMC statistics, it seems pretty clear that your son beat the odds and got really really lucky -- especially so since he only applied to only 2 allo schools and got interviews at both. This simply doesn't happen as a matter of course. For a lot of people, it makes more sense to retake the MCAT (if they think they can improve) before dropping the thousands of dollars that applying will cost.

gujuDoc said:
I think his sentiment was not to give up. I don't think he was saying there's anything wrong with retaking the test. Just don't give up.

Then I misunderstood. I agree with the sentiment not to give up. But I don't agree that you necessarilly should go ahead and spend the money and apply with a 24 (unless you think that's as good as you can do), which I had thought he was suggesting.

Law2Doc said:
While I agree with your sentiments, I'm not so sure many people with a very low MCAT will be able to even get to the interview stage and "knock their socks off". Based on AAMC statistics, it seems pretty clear that your son beat the odds and got really really lucky -- especially so since he only applied to only 2 allo schools and got interviews at both. This simply doesn't happen as a matter of course. For a lot of people, it makes more sense to retake the MCAT (if they think they can improve) before dropping the thousands of dollars that applying will cost.

What I am pointing out is the MCAT is only one factor in the acceptance process. I have seen posters on this forum get in during the ED process with scores in the 27 range. The committees seem to be much more interested in the entire package instead of just a score. I am one who has seen the process and would not hesitate recommending someone do their research and apply with a mid 20 as long as they had great LORs, extracirriculars, GPA and a story to tell in their essay. Go for it, all they can do is tell you no.....they can't cut your legs off!!

Again, my son only applied to the two schools he wanted to test the water with a 24, got interviews at both and accepted the offer from his #1. Both of these schools were instate, thus no "thousands" spent and moves into his apartment July 1. He's hangin out, drinkling beer and enjoying himself this summer after summer practices, conditioning, weights the past four years for football. Don't lose hope over a number that makes you marginal, most schools send out secondaries where you can furthur emphasis your strong points and personality, show them you're a person. Go for it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
DRDADTB said:
What I am pointing out is the MCAT is only one factor in the acceptance process. I have seen posters on this forum get in during the ED process with scores in the 27 range. The committees seem to be much more interested in the entire package instead of just a score. I am one who has seen the process and would not hesitate recommending someone do their research and apply with a mid 20 as long as they had great LORs, extracirriculars, GPA and a story to tell in their essay. Go for it, all they can do is tell you no.....they can't cut your legs off!!

Again, my son only applied to the two schools he wanted to test the water with a 24, got interviews at both and accepted the offer from his #1. Both of these schools were instate, thus no "thousands" spent and moves into his apartment July 1. He's hangin out, drinkling beer and enjoying himself this summer after summer practices, conditioning, weights the past four years for football. Don't lose hope over a number that makes you marginal, most schools send out secondaries where you can furthur emphasis your strong points and personality, show them you're a person. Go for it!!

Well said, mid 20 score is respectable. A score in the teens would be another story, but I agree, with a mid 20 MCAT score you have something to work with. Explore all options, and don't let the nay-sayers hold you back!!!

I couldn't have said it better. MCAT scores and GPA are one thing being able to actually connect with people is something else. DrDadTB, I am happy to hear from someone like you. It really helps put things in perspective for those of us who are not so totally concerned with "just the numbers" and who are genuinely concerned with being a well rounded future physician with book smarts and people smarts. :D

that's so encouraging...I'm really glad to hear that. Thanks all :)

coco said:
that's so encouraging...I'm really glad to hear that. Thanks all :)

It's nice that there are success stories, and you should never give up your dreams. But honestly, if you have your heart set on allopathic, it will really be tough with a 24 or 25. Sure, there will be exceptions, but you can't bank on being the exception. You really need to at least consider a retake with these scores, unless you are sure that it is absolutely the best you can do. Good luck.