don't like kaplan biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleur64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
So I have read up to chapter 8 of kaplan's biochem book and I think its OK. But looking at the Carbohydrate metabolism and lipid/amino acid metabolism chapters, they seem kinda confusing. I want to use another resource but I'm not sure what to go with. TBR or Khan Academy or EK?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
So I have read up to chapter 8 of kaplan's biochem book and I think its OK. But looking at the Carbohydrate metabolism and lipid/amino acid metabolism chapters, they seem kinda confusing. I want to use another resource but I'm not sure what to go with. TBR or Khan Academy or EK?

Thanks in advance.
yea theyre a bit weak on amino acids and carbohydrates, I used TBR for those and it did a beautiful job at teaching me the basics, but I think the rest of kaplan biochem is pretty good and tells u the things u really need to know

yea theyre a bit weak on amino acids and carbohydrates, I used TBR for those and it did a beautiful job at teaching me the basics, but I think the rest of kaplan biochem is pretty good and tells u the things u really need to know

when you say weak on amino acids and carbohydrates, are you talking about the chapters on the structure and function or the metabolism of them? I guess i should stick with Kaplan lol

I thought Kaplan did a pretty good job, actually. They seemed to cover all the basics, and I felt that they provided way more detail than you need to know in certain sections. For example, their section on DNA goes into a lot of detail on the different types of eukaryotic polymerases. This information was more detailed than even Berkeley Review, and even in my undergraduate classes we did not discuss DNA polymerases alpha, delta, epsilon, gamma, etc. - just the standard I, II, and III.

Members don't see this ad :)
when you say weak on amino acids and carbohydrates, are you talking about the chapters on the structure and function or the metabolism of them? I guess i should stick with Kaplan lol
yup, if u go to TBR orgo second book, they have two chapters dedicated to charbs and amino acids

Reactions: 1 user