Doris Duke/CRTP/HHMI/Sarnoff Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys/gals know how DD-Hopkins work? Is there an official waitlist? Or no news = axe?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got emailed for Pitt spot yesterday, and couldn't email call them back had a couple of shock traumas. They ended up giving the spot to someone else. FML, but congrats to whoever got it.

Is anybody dropping Iowa or UCSF?

Also, for people still waiting, I talked with the PD for Pitt and she told me to still have hope b/c in her database, of all DDCRFs, it showed only 15 people had committed to a spot! There are roughly 80 positions or so and after april 4th programs do a "scramble" period where they offer spots to people that may have not even applied to their program. It wouldn't be surprising if emails go out this upcoming week/wknd for other places because most people dropped spots very late.

Good luck friends

Sorry. I was not trying to be sarcastic. I had assumed you gotten UPitt after speaking with the PD with regards to be on trauma call. That's my mistake; please accept my sincere apology as I was not trying to direct anything towards you.

Sorry. I was not trying to be sarcastic. I had assumed you gotten UPitt after speaking with the PD with regards to be on trauma call. That's my mistake; please accept my sincere apology as I was not trying to direct anything towards you.

No problem bud, easy mistake. I'm sorry myself :thumbup:

I'm still hoping it all works out this week though. Congrats with your acceptance! :clap:

I'm rooting for you. This has been a brutal/stressful/competitive year. I hope it all works out!

I'm rooting for you. This has been a brutal/stressful/competitive year. I hope it all works out!

Thanks my friend. It has been an intensely competitive year; I'm still hoping for the best and will post if anything favorable happens soon.

But :luck: :xf: to all of us in the waiting boat.

Also, for people still waiting, I talked with the PD for Pitt and she told me to still have hope b/c in her database, of all DDCRFs, it showed only 15 people had committed to a spot! There are roughly 80 positions or so and after april 4th programs do a "scramble" period where they offer spots to people that may have not even applied to their program. It wouldn't be surprising if emails go out this upcoming week/wknd for other places because most people dropped spots very late.

Good luck friends

Does this mean that people waiting on DD are holding onto their HHMI Med Fellows position for now? (Obviously only applicable to those who applied to both) I don't know why DD has dragged this out so long. That's a lot of spots still open for DD.

Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree.. I don't know why the DD movement is so slow.

The initial offer had to be decided by March 30th, and Yale (international) just began their interviews on the 29th! Why that is.. is a mystery to me.. It makes absolutely no sense

Good luck friends

The DD website says, "As of January 2012, the CRF program has supported a total of 952 fellows, with 116 fellows in the current (2011-2012) class." I wonder if the lady you spoke with was making a guess or if there are fewer spots because it's the last year of the domestic program. Hopefully the former. Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:
congrats, Starsinthesky, for getting both offers!
I'd recommend the NIH MSRP over DD for the following reasons:
1. NIH offers a significantly higher compensation and provides all the lab supplies that you might need
2. dedicated researchers at NIH will most likely offer better mentorship than clinicians who do research on the side
3. you won't be able to get the NIH experience later in your career, whereas clinical research at a major medical center will most likely become a permanent part of your career.
4. Bethesda is likely a much more fun and comfortable place to be than most the DD sites.

I would have to disagree with you with one qualifier, that each person has their own requirements and goals from a year off.

1. I don't think compensation matters much in the scheme of things. Sure it might be a little extra that is nice to have, but you aren't taking the year off to make money. You are doing it for the experience. In addition, any PI that the DD institutions will approve you to work with will not have any funding issues. So lab supplies is also not an issue. They won't put you with some new PI trying to fund his project. In addition, my DD institution had extra funds for lab expenses if needed (for reagents, funds to cover research imagining studies...etc.). No issue with that. You aren't doing your "own" project anyways, but rather one that is ongoing with your mentor. They will already have funds for it.

2. If you go to a DD institution with strong research that is not a problem. My mentor has ~9 weeks of clinical duty per year. Yes 9 weeks. The rest of it he was in the lab/going to conferences/giving guest lectures...etc. He was around plenty for me to get his help and opinion when I needed it. In real life, you don't need your mentor around the lab every day. You want to have easy access (in person or by email if out of town) so that you can ask questions if something comes up. But ideally you want to at least meet in person 1-2 times per week to update regarding the project and any changes that need to be made. Truly successful mentor's know how to mentor medical students.

3. As others have said you can get the NIH experience later in life. Also I'm not sure why that is such a big deal. Depending on your field, NIH might not be the best location to get good experience in your research interest. I got accepted to the Cloisters program but eventually turned it down for a DD spot; primarily because the DD program offered a much richer research experience in my field of interest and I had already built a relationship with my mentor rather than having to seek out one at the NIH and lose precious time finding a mentor and then figuring out a project that would work within my interests and time frame. With DD, I arrived already running. Project was already approved by the IRB before I got there and I was enrolling patients my first week.

4. Location is very subjective. Personally I don't care for D.C./Bathesda but I am easy going and could live anywhere. If the best research lab/institution for my interests was in Alaska, I could tough it out for the experience. But I wouldn't consider the location as a draw for NIH. It isn't terrible but it isn't great either.

On the Doris Duke website, it says that this year is the last year for the program (very sad honestly, I was really looking forward to applying to this program), but it also said that the international program will still be available at various universities.

I was wondering if anyone knew which international universities will continue to host the Doris Duke program, and also if there are any major differences in terms of selection process for international schools as opposed to the DD schools domestically.

Thanks for your help.

I was wondering if anyone knew which international universities will continue to host the Doris Duke program, and also if there are any major differences in terms of selection process for international schools as opposed to the DD schools domestically.

Not sure what you mean by "differences in terms of selection process for international schools as opposed to the DD schools domestically"? There are some DD schools that offer an international along with domestic track. The domestic track is ending while the international will continue on for some time (haven't heard for how long). The institutions supporting the international program have not been decided yet ("International fellowships will continue at six schools to be determined in the early fall of 2012").

Has anyone out here who applied to Sarnoff or NIH with public health/outcomes/health services research interests been successful?

this thread is awfully quiet. is anyone else waiting to hear back from HHMI friday? that being said did anyone else apply to study at K-RITH?

this thread is awfully quiet. is anyone else waiting to hear back from HHMI friday? that being said did anyone else apply to study at K-RITH?

I am! It seems like they sent out hhmi med fellows the evening before the stated announcement date... So hopefully tonight we will get an email.

dang I did not know that. Now I am kind of nervous. But excited to find out if I get to study abroad next year! Where are you hoping to study?

Anyone applying for the international programs find out one way or another today? Did anyone get accepted to more than one program?

So I realize this thread has been dead for quite some time now. It seems that any of the former programs that offer students a year out from school for clinical research have been closed down- including the Doris Duke domestic programs.

I'm just curious if there are any other odd birds out there that applied for the Doris Duke International CRF this year. I submitted my application last month, and it sounds like we just sit and wait for a month to hear back...no interviews. I only applied to one program, and I might be at a disadvantage since I applied as an outsider to program I have no ties with, and I'm a second year (as opposed to a third/fourth year)...but I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone was enthusiastic enough about global health that they found the program and applied this year. As far as I know I am the only one from my home institution, and from the sounds of it, probably the only one from my state.

Hello, I am a first year who is very interested in doing one of these after second or third year. I am shopping for labs in my school now but do I have to work in the bench and polish lab techniques so that I could be more competitive? or Could I just do clinical research? I worked in the laboratory for 2 years as a NIH IRTA.

On the Doris Duke website, it says that this year is the last year for the program (very sad honestly, I was really looking forward to applying to this program), but it also said that the international program will still be available at various universities.

I was wondering if anyone knew which international universities will continue to host the Doris Duke program

Thanks for your help.

Anyone know which international universities continue to host the Doris Duke program?

Bump.
Anyone apply to these programs this year?

Interviewed for Sarnoff--playing the waiting game until March 18th. I'm not expecting much, though--two of my interviewers didn't show for my second interview.

Would people who applied for the fellowships this year mind sharing their experiences?

I'm thinking about applying for them the next cycle, and it would really help to hear from you all who just went through the application process.

Trying to revive this thread....can anyone comment on the doris duke international fellowship??

Do all schools offer interviews? I applied in Jan and would love any input to keep me sane until the March offer deadline