Downtime during Call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesthesia11230

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here I am taking Sunday Call
Usually we have at least 3-4 orthopedic cases
Have 2 senior residents on call
Usually run 2 rooms

Anyways today only had 1 case so far and nothing up and coming (knock on wood {my head}) ...usually study during the slow and down times...but going to rest...curious how you guys spend down time while on call ...assuming no cases

number 1 answer will be sleep ...its obvious but my main concern is getting DVT

anyways writing to take the guilt away from not studying
Bottom line to this run on meaningless post...be thankful and appreciate you noncall days...

and enjoy life on my behalf
cheers

Members don't see this ad.

curious how you guys spend down time while on call ...assuming no cases

too many times I am soo jacked on caffeine that sleep is a whole other dimension away. So I spend time on the

sdn_official_logo.gif

posting images

Here I am taking Sunday Call
Usually we have at least 3-4 orthopedic cases
Have 2 senior residents on call
Usually run 2 rooms

Anyways today only had 1 case so far and nothing up and coming (knock on wood {my head}) ...usually study during the slow and down times...but going to rest...curious how you guys spend down time while on call ...assuming no cases

number 1 answer will be sleep ...its obvious but my main concern is getting DVT

anyways writing to take the guilt away from not studying
Bottom line to this run on meaningless post...be thankful and appreciate you noncall days...

and enjoy life on my behalf
cheers

At Rush North Shore we typically have tons of downtime on the weekend. I spend time reading, but I do lots of mind numbing activities:
1) I bring my netflix movies in and typically watch 2 of em.
2) I run to best buy (down the street from the hospital) and pick up another DVD. Last on-call I picked up the office, season III, and watched 3 of the discs.
3) I brought in my Playstation II. Playing God Of War II, Ratchet and Clank, and Resident evil 4.
4) I surf the net looking for my stuff to buy. Last time on call I picked up an upconverting DVD player after reasearching for hours and hours.

Ain't nothing wrong with wasting a little time in prison.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on call yesterday and slept a total of 12 of the 24 hours. I had been up rocking nearly the whole night before (slept maybe 2 hrs), so I really needed it. I find I can't really study on call, no matter how calm things are.

how much time do you guys have?

Usually on Saturdays we'll have 2-3 cases scheduled. On Sundays it ranges from no cases to atleast 1 case schedule..

What's normal for a training program is my question? I've heard at some places they dont have ANY cases scheduled on weekends, since they are the trauma 1 center,etc. If you think about it, if you're doing a 'scheduled' elective case on a weekend and now a trauma comes in...the hospital looses money since they have to 'call in' and pay extra all the extra nurses,staff,etc.

Man, I want to be where you guys are training!!! :eek:

Our weekend calls are brutal. Usually we do anywhere from 7-15 cases on Saturday (mostly ortho trauma), answer the trauma pager, run to airways and codes, and do pre-ops for Sunday. Sundays are often no better. Even if you pull OB call, you're on your own and inevitably there's going to be at least 1-2 c-sections and a few epidurals to manage.

I detest weekend call. You never sit down. :thumbdown:

-copro

Still on my same call...day/evening taking forever
usually we get a few calls to the trauma...standby for airway management (RSI) in which nearly almost everytime im involved somehow or another...although i hate getting called there (ER) theres always some sense of adrenaline rush im coming to realise as i sit here with not an ounce of epi flowing through my system now

just need one time for the truama chief giving me the nodd...meanings we will see you upstairs in a split sec. Just one will make your night fly bye like a flash.

Meantime: ambulating, hydrating, voiding, == normal V/Q (no DVT /PE)
hope your enjoying "life"

Man, I want to be where you guys are training!!! :eek:

Our weekend calls are brutal. Usually we do anywhere from 7-15 cases on Saturday (mostly ortho trauma), answer the trauma pager, run to airways and codes, and do pre-ops for Sunday. Sundays are often no better. Even if you pull OB call, you're on your own and inevitably there's going to be at least 1-2 c-sections and a few epidurals to manage.

I detest weekend call. You never sit down. :thumbdown:

-copro

Sounds exactly like my program. Weekend calls suck. Numbers are spot on for the amt of scheduled cases. Huge knife and gun club also, so it only takes one a$$hole outside acting stupid to screw up the whole night. Getting any more than 20 minutes of downtime here or there in a 24 hr shift is a rarity.

We usually are considered a great training place in regards to trauma...GSW, stab wounds, baseball bats to the head, ice picks are a way of life here

anyways just another 1hr 30 mins till handing off the code pager...sometimes thats the most elating feeling in the world...handing off the code pager..and leaving the hospital post call...doesnt get much better than that

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.02demand.com
online community of clinical excellence