downward gpa trend during the pandemic ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

california_poppyseed

Reaction score
its been a rough two years for me. since the pandemic and going online every conceivably unlucky thing has happened, which has lead to a plethora of b's, and now two c's in a row in science classes. everything from covid deaths in the family, sexual assault, my dog dying, my immunocompromised family member getting covid and nearly needing a ventilator, to literally also being hospitalized for my own health reasons. i plan on really pushing my gpa back up for the remaining year i have, but i know downward trends are really quite frowned upon and im just worried about my future and how badly my gpa is doing right now. send help :')

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very sorry to hear about the things which have been going on in your life. However, I can assure you that going into the medical field is still very much a possibility!! If you are able to complete an SMP with good grades, as well as a solid performance on the MCAT, you will still be a great candidate for many MD schools. DO schools also always reward reinvention!!

Forgive yourself, and remember that there are a lot of possibilities left :)

Reactions: 1 users
its been a rough two years for me. since the pandemic and going online every conceivably unlucky thing has happened, which has lead to a plethora of b's, and now two c's in a row in science classes. everything from covid deaths in the family, sexual assault, my dog dying, my immunocompromised family member getting covid and nearly needing a ventilator, to literally also being hospitalized for my own health reasons. i plan on really pushing my gpa back up for the remaining year i have, but i know downward trends are really quite frowned upon and im just worried about my future and how badly my gpa is doing right now. send help :')
I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rough time.

I suggest you ace your remaining classes, especially in the sciences. The last two years are behind you, just go forward and get those grades up. A high MCAT will help a lot. Also considering a post-bac program, especially if your senior year grades or MCAT are not as high as you will like. consider DO programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Being more positive based on what has been disclosed: You're still staying above 3.5 for year-by-year GPA? I'm not sure you "need" an SMP depending on what you took. Probably some postbac coursework but if your grades by year truly dropped off (below 3.0), then we would have a different conversation about how to repair your academic preparation gaps. I mean "plethora of B's and C's" should have dropped your GPA MUCH lower than 3.8, 3.6, and 3.5. Please clarify.

Being more positive based on what has been disclosed: You're still staying above 3.5 for year-by-year GPA? I'm not sure you "need" an SMP depending on what you took. Probably some postbac coursework but if your grades by year truly dropped off (below 3.0), then we would have a different conversation about how to repair your academic preparation gaps. I mean "plethora of B's and C's" should have dropped your GPA MUCH lower than 3.8, 3.6, and 3.5. Please clarify.

I agree that 3.5 isn't a severely low GPA. However, I was much more concerned about the drop in GPA, which I assume is in upper division classes, alongside the fact that the drop came specifically from science courses. I will let OP elaborate, but it seems like perhaps their science GPA is lower than their cumulative GPA? Which is why I recommended a possible SMP.

I agree that 3.5 isn't a severely low GPA. However, I was much more concerned about the drop in GPA, which I assume is in upper division classes, alongside the fact that the drop came specifically from science courses. I will let OP elaborate, but it seems like perhaps their science GPA is lower than their cumulative GPA? Which is why I recommended a possible SMP.
Understood. We can only go with what is disclosed. :) Just saying in general a 3.5 isn't a huge concern usually (1 B for 1 A). Yeah, it would be nice to know what the B's are in, but usually I'd be more certain if I saw the GPA dip closer to 3.0 (certainly more B's than A's). Granted if all the A's were in independent study/research/non-science then we can better consider a postbac or SMP...

I am guessing DO schools would not be concerned. The competition is higher for MD apps so it's understandable why one would be concerned there. But the OP did mention that the lower grades coincided with the pandemic, and that may be factored a little... as long as everything else in the application is solid. The circumstances that were occurring during the pandemic and still the GPA stayed above 3.5 should give some ammo to advocates for the OP (resilience/overcoming significant challenges).

You are poised for the Nike swoosh. Work on it. Your nadir is still high enough that it will not be a red flag.

You've come through so much and that, too, should be mentioned in your secondaries and perhaps your LOR writers will acknowledge it too.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
the drop in my grades were because of ochem and stats. b's in one language class cuz i was stupid and some b+'s in upper divs but mostly a's from what ive taken so far. does that help clarify?

the drop in my grades were because of ochem and stats. b's in one language class cuz i was stupid and some b+'s in upper divs but mostly a's from what ive taken so far. does that help clarify?
Very common occurrence. Do well from now on. And if life takes a two-by-four to your head again in the future, take a leave of absence instead of trying to bulldoze your way through

my new gpa is a 3.47, oop :')
Read what Goro suggested right above and consider if you need to take a semester or two to focus on yourself. Have you had a chance to even process all of that turmoil and stress that happened to you? No one in their right mind would fault you for taking a moment to take care of yourself. Please consider it.