Downward trend thinking of post-bac. Need serious advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnFe

Paranoid Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I have posted this before but I need a serious advice regarding this issue. I have to decide before June 1st (Deadline for post-bac apps).

Here is my trend:
Highschool - 3.5 (CC)
Freshman - 4.0 (taken all the science pre-reqs)
Sophomore - 3.70 - (upper division sciences)
Junior - 3.50 - (upper division sciences)
Senior - 2.92 (~40 semester units. no Fs, Ds or Ws. 3 C's, mostly Bs 5 As)

cGPA: 3.40
BCPM: 3.55
BS Cell Molecular/Microbiology - Graduated through the Honors Program (barely).
URM - Hispanic/Mexican

The only SMP available for me is at USC which is so expensive ($50k) and competitive.
Then, I look into post-bac certificates at CSUs. One is for biotechnology, 5 upper division bio classes, academic research and an internship. Is this viable enough to make it to an MD program if I As everything (This can raise my GPA up to 3.50)? I don't want to make a bad decision. I went to a pre-med advisor and she basically told me to think of other career options...Anyway, she can't stop me with my dream and I'm willing to work harder and smarter to achieve my goal.

MCAT is still pending. June 20th test date.

If there is anyone who was or is in my current situation that got into a medical school, please shed some light and advice.

If there is a member of an AdCom, please shed some light on how you will view my app with a post-bac + a good MCAT score (~33-36).
I'm planning to apply 2014-2015 cycle.

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

The downward trend is disturbing, but I think with a good MCAT, you'll get plenty of interviews, and then you can explain yourself.

IF, after that point, all you get are rejects or wait lists, then you know what to fix. You may have to move to find a decent post-bac/SMP..our is much much less than $40K, for example. There are tons of them out there.

Sometimes you have to take it on the chin and see how the application cycle shakes out.

As you can see, I'm more optimistic than your advisor. Key thing is: if something got broken in your senior year, can you fix it before medical school???

Okay I have posted this before but I need a serious advice regarding this issue. I have to decide before June 1st (Deadline for post-bac apps).

Here is my trend:
Highschool - 3.5 (CC)
Freshman - 4.0 (taken all the science pre-reqs)
Sophomore - 3.70 - (upper division sciences)
Junior - 3.50 - (upper division sciences)
Senior - 2.92 (~40 semester units. no Fs, Ds or Ws. 3 C's, mostly Bs 5 As)

cGPA: 3.40
BCPM: 3.55
BS Cell Molecular/Microbiology - Graduated through the Honors Program (barely).
URM - Hispanic/Mexican

The only SMP available for me is at USC which is so expensive ($50k) and competitive.
Then, I look into post-bac certificates at CSUs. One is for biotechnology, 5 upper division bio classes, academic research and an internship. Is this viable enough to make it to an MD program if I As everything (This can raise my GPA up to 3.50)? I don't want to make a bad decision. I went to a pre-med advisor and she basically told me to think of other career options...Anyway, she can't stop me with my dream and I'm willing to work harder and smarter to achieve my goal.

MCAT is still pending. June 20th test date.

If there is anyone who was or is in my current situation that got into a medical school, please shed some light and advice.

If there is a member of an AdCom, please shed some light on how you will view my app with a post-bac + a good MCAT score (~33-36).
I'm planning to apply 2014-2015 cycle.

Thanks for reading!

The downward trend is disturbing, but I think with a good MCAT, you'll get plenty of interviews, and then you can explain yourself.

IF, after that point, all you get are rejects or wait lists, then you know what to fix. You may have to move to find a decent post-bac/SMP..our is much much less than $40K, for example. There are tons of them out there.

Sometimes you have to take it on the chin and see how the application cycle shakes out.

As you can see, I'm more optimistic than your advisor. Key thing is: if something got broken in your senior year, can you fix it before medical school???

Downward trend is because of financial issues. I had to work extra for my senior year. (Mom was hospitalized and family income was reduced). I'm the eldest son. I also committed myself with research which is paid + heavy upper div sciences.

The problem in my senior year was over achieving schedule. I can't really say poor time management because I manage to "survive" without dropping or receiving any Fs or Ds.

SMP out of state most likely is not an option for me. I can only do local so that I can still work. :/ It is a lot to think about and at some point I need to make a sacrifice...