Doximity on why we should feel honored to make what we do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nivens

Blinded by the light
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://blog.doximity.com/articles/resident-physicians-might-not-be-underpaid-after-all-here-s-why

This has me fuming. I love being a doctor and taking care of patients, but when the government makes 8% on my 250,000 dollar debt, I don't need to be guilted by some random EM attending about not making enough as a resident to be able afford decent childcare in Boston.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh, I don't worry too much about the opinions of someone who promotes himself as a "nationally recognized thought leader in healthcare innovation and value-based care."

Reactions: 1 user
Yet another douche of colossal proportions. If taking care of patients is such an honor, why does he waste his time being a thought-leader and entrepreneur?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, I don't worry too much about the opinions of someone who promotes himself as a "nationally recognized thought leader in healthcare innovation and value-based care."

True. The guy calls himself an entrepreneur. That's like the "actor" for the 21st century. I know a lot of bartenders who are also "entrepreneurs."

but taking care of patients is an incredible honor. That skill and daily privilege is worth something. In fact, I think it’s worth a lot. Can you pay the rent with that honor? No

What kind of thought leader is this?

Founder & Chief Medical Officer
Oak Street Health
October 2012 – Present (4 years)

Griffin co-founded Chicago-based Oak Street Health in 2012. Since then, the company has expanded to a network of more than a dozen primary care clinics across the Midwest that drives industry leading patient satisfaction scores, quality metrics, and a reduction in hospitalizations.

Oak Street focuses exclusively on older adults, typically of low-income and living in underserved urban neighborhoods, with a goal of keeping patients happy, healthy, and out of the hospital.

Griffin is responsible for connecting Oak Street Health’s mission with superior bedside care. He works with provider services, quality improvement, and care teams to achieve the highest quality of care while maintaining a friendly environment for employees and patients.

Oak Street Health was recognized as one of Chicago’s Best Workplaces in 2015 by the Chicago Tribune.

Griffin is a tool.

Last edited:
What a terrible article. How can you say resident physicians are not underpaid and use money that non-resident physicians make to support your argument?

What a terrible article. How can you say resident physicians are not underpaid and use money that non-resident physicians make to support your argument?

His essay is simply a long-winded way of making the same old argument that residents are paying their dues, and thus should be grateful for the pittance they get.

And yes, in this case "entrepreneur" sounds one step removed from all those "independent businesses" reselling one MLM product or another.

Reactions: 1 user