Doximity stock?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesthesiadoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody considering getting in on the early physician buy in for Doximity stock? Got an email today and considering it.

Members don't see this ad.

out of curiosity, what is the offer? As as general rule of thumb, if somebody is asking you to buy stock it is probably not a great idea. If they had a hugely valuable offer, they wouldn't be making it to you.

I found articles that they are planning for an IPO and hopefully targeting share price of $20-23 with it, but I know absolutely nothing else about their business fundamentals.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last time I bought into an ipo it prompted dropped in value and hasn't recovered.

I believe evidence shows that if you buy a stock on the day it comes out with an IPO, that price tends to underperform the stock market going forward for some length of time (1 year, 2 years, etc). If you are an insider and get shares for less than the IPO price, you tend to outperform (mostly because you can simply sell them for a quick buck the first day.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m on the fence with this one. Maybe it’s just a gimmick, but gimmicks work sometimes. Their “sell” is having 15% of their shares be owned by physicians who use the site. I think they max out the investment that any single physician can make at $5000. Supposedly they are expanding services for physician groups beyond just networking. However I am also skeptical that they would be able to keep their idea exclusive. There’s a possibility that, as opposed to acquiring it, a company liked linked in could just create a physicis division and crush it.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m on the fence with this one. Maybe it’s just a gimmick, but gimmicks work sometimes. Their “sell” is having 15% of their shares be owned by physicians who use the site. I think they max out the investment that any single physician can make at $5000. Supposedly they are expanding services for physician groups beyond just networking. However I am also skeptical that they would be able to keep their idea exclusive. There’s a possibility that, as opposed to acquiring it, a company liked linked in could just create a physicis division and crush it.

but what is the actual stock offer? I have not seen it so my opinion is only theoretical on what I think it might be. If they are wanting a certain percentage of their stock to be owned by physicians, that doesn't really work once publicly traded because institutions and funds will be sucking up the volume of shares. Unless they are offering you to purchase a different share class or buy shares that are going to be locked up for some period of time, in which case the desirability of those shares likely goes way down.

Isn't their business model to publish bull**** rankings of residency programs based on surveys that get gamed by program directors and department chairs?
Their business model is to get page views by high income people. Sell advertising and the data they collect.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't their business model to publish bull**** rankings of residency programs based on surveys that get gamed by program directors and department chairs?

no, I assume they want to be professional facebook for doctors. You have friends, you send them messages, comment on research, etc. The rankings are just to generate interest and clicks. Probably turn out to be more Myspace than facebook....

I enjoy seeing which of my colleagues publish and which are commenting on publications or news stories. I don’t think I would ever invest in it since I have other avenues available for investing.

no, I assume they want to be professional facebook for doctors. You have friends, you send them messages, comment on research, etc. The rankings are just to generate interest and clicks. Probably turn out to be more Myspace than facebook....

No one like facebook anymore

Anybody considering getting in on the early physician buy in for Doximity stock? Got an email today and considering it.
I would not pay a penny for it.

I remember when sermo used to be great. There was an anesthesiologist named "SmilingBob" that was awesome. Some other dude named "Makevelli" was as grandiose as JetPropPilot ever was. Then they were bought out by a corporation and it is a complete wasteland now.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one like facebook anymore
C0AF1D73-8C98-4975-87B0-589DF885E92E.png

I like Doximity. It gave me a Shxtload of free CME credits for credentialing purpose. Best of all, I can do it really quick.

Keep the free stuff free. Stock, no.

welp im no investing expert but i just put in interest to buy 250 shares at 26 dollars a piece for 6500 dollar investment. scared money don make money

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Sold half my pre ipo 250 allocation I received at $26. Made a healthy profit.

Future reference for others. You don't say no to pre IPO offer without a lockout period. Easy money.

How did you all get the pre-ipo offer? I never even got an email lol

There was a reserve shares program that allowed you to buy up to 250 shares at $26/share through Fidelity. It was offered to Doximity users.

IMG_1403.PNG

sometimes being a ***** with money pays off. i guess there was some hype behind it

• Love
I purchased Facebook first day at $38. It went up briefly and slowly went down over the next few months to $16. I dumped it at $19 lost some money. Idiotic of me. I re brought it at $80 and held on to it. Play the long game with companies you think will make it.

Than again. I got burned with vonage the internet phone company ipo. Vonage ipo. It “offered customers ipo pricing “. Buyer beware with doximity offering ipo shares. I’m staying away.

“Sadly, a busted IPO is a common sight. The real reason why Vonage's IPO was a disaster was because it saved a chunk of its IPO shares for its customers. After seeing many ballyhooed IPOs take off -- and sensing a little confirmation bias since it was their own phone service going public -- many Vonage subscribers decided to give it a shot. When the stock tanked at the open, many refused to pay up.”

I purchased Facebook first day at $38. It went up briefly and slowly went down over the next few months to $16. I dumped it at $19 lost some money. Idiotic of me. I re brought it at $80 and held on to it. Play the long game with companies you think will make it.

Than again. I got burned with vonage the internet phone company ipo. Vonage ipo. It “offered customers ipo pricing “. Buyer beware with doximity offering ipo shares. I’m staying away.

“Sadly, a busted IPO is a common sight. The real reason why Vonage's IPO was a disaster was because it saved a chunk of its IPO shares for its customers. After seeing many ballyhooed IPOs take off -- and sensing a little confirmation bias since it was their own phone service going public -- many Vonage subscribers decided to give it a shot. When the stock tanked at the open, many refused to pay up.”
you're not wrong. i just sold all my shares premarket for about double. not a bad 100% turnaround for one day. im content with those gains.

Haha you guys sound like some of the surgeons I work with: “It worked, therefore it was a good idea.”

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
My plan was to sell the initial pop. After it shot up to 45 then formed a bull flag on the one minute, things got interesting. Stuck to my plan and sold half at 50, the other half with a trailing SL that hit at 52 something. Easiest 100% return I've ever made in the market. Second the sentiment to never pass on pre-IPO pricing with no lockout period.

I use it for free CME. I guess some people like the dialer.

They sell ads, probably sell our info, and charge for use of their telemedicine platform.

Next we need surfline, SDN, and the espn fantasy football app to IPO and my OR routine will have paid off.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Haters going to hate. I’m not sure about it’s valuation but Doximity has solid fundamentals. Some of us feel like it started out sketchy getting docs to sign up to view rankings. Then programs to ask residents to sign up to help their rankings. But the app does make it easy to call my patients from my phone. It makes CME easy. It has a verified social network of high income and influential doctors for pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, recruiters, and whoever else wants to advertise. It’s interesting seeing my med school classmates publications and comments. Apparently it has one of the better telehealth platforms. Telehealth is here to stay. Company is already profitable based on having a good product. I’m long.

Ive never heard of vonage but looks like there were a lot of obvious red flags starting with their CEO being a criminal well before the IPO.

The question is do you hold the stock from here or will it crater back to $30? In this market I suspect the stock will go higher until we get a correction.

My company is one of the 600 doximity paid subscribers. We love them. They are the best platform for targeted marketing and recruiting for physicians/PA's/NP's. Much better than LinkedIn and indeed etc. CME, telehealth, "social media" are just different ways to get more users and increased engagement. I am definitely bullish but could not resist taking some profit when it doubled in a day.

The question is do you hold the stock from here or will it crater back to $30? In this market I suspect the stock will go higher until we get a correction.
No one knows. Just make sure you buy high and sell low lol. Their PE ratio is 244 and Market cap is 8.6 Billion. I just don't see them doubling anytime soon. At least they are profitable unlike a lot of "growth" companies.

Haters going to hate. I’m not sure about it’s valuation but Doximity has solid fundamentals.

to which fundamentals are you referring, certainly not financial statements. I mean for the sake of extreme brevity, it has a P/E ratio of something like 200 at the moment with a market cap of $10B on net earnings of $50M.

Last edited:
to which fundamentals are you referring, certainly not financial statements. I mean for the sake of extreme brevity, it has a P/E ratio of something like 200 at the moment with a market cap of $10B on net earnings of $50M.

Why not financial statements? Profit, revenue, historical growth, growth potential of telehealth and advertising, debt, evaluation of competitive landscape. I legitimately said I’m not sure what justifies the valuation doubling from pre-IPO estimates but i standby my assessment that the underlying business is solid.

For the sake of extreme brevity, you’ve made it very clear you don’t even have a clue what their business does….

Why not financial statements? Profit, revenue, historical growth, growth potential of telehealth and advertising, debt, evaluation of competitive landscape. I legitimately said I’m not sure what justifies the valuation doubling from pre-IPO estimates but i standby my assessment that the underlying business is solid.

For the sake of extreme brevity, you’ve made it very clear you don’t even have a clue what their business does….

Do you even understand what "fundamentals" mean in regards to a stock? P/E ratios, free cash flow, equity, margins, etc?

I understand their business and what they are trying to do, but the fundamentals of the stock price are not "solid" by any means. It is priced at an insanely high speculative price not supported in any way by fundamentals. For example, as their revenue has gone up the cost of revenue has risen even faster. Their net profit margin decreased. This is not a sign of a business that can maintain similarly profitability by simply growing revenue. Similarly while they brag about their engagement with more than 80% of physicians in the US, that isn't exactly a good sign for their ability to grow in the future.

Now that doesn't mean the business can't be great as is. It's just that the stock price someone has to pay to own it right now is extreme. The best business in the world can have a stock price not supported by fundamentals and be a bad investment. I am not making fun of the company, I am making fun of the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I agree, I think once the lock-up period is over, we'll see this come back down to earth. I originally thought that would be the case over the next day or so of trading as most IPO do, but if you look at the price movement based on volume, this thing is nuts, float is super small. I may take it as a day trade on monday if the momentum continues as more people who have limited knowledge of the company start to fomo buy.

Sold half my pre ipo 250 allocation I received at $26. Made a healthy profit.
sold the rest of it today. Almost impossible to pick stocks or time the market. Maybe it goes to 100 tomorrow or 20 in a few weeks. I am not sold on the company long term. Pay yourself if you don't believe in the company versus dollar cost average.