Dr. Bazan recruiting in BK

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

$500 a day weekend work at private practice if anyone needs extra cash (hint hint Jason K)

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/hea/3023911941.html

Shnurek, I'm almost completely out of optometry. Why on earth would I want to add a weekend day to my schedule? Six and seven day/wk schedules will be for you and your classmates......enjoy. :laugh:

PS: If you're newly out of school and someone offers you $500/day to ***** out glasses and CLRx's you should probably take it. Pearle vision will pay you the equivalent of $700/day for 4 hours on a Sunday. Then again, you're working at a complete slime hole so it's all a balance. Enjoy the ride after graduation.

Park Slope Eye, one of the best optometric practices around, is looking for an awesome eye doc to do Saturdays and/or Sundays from 10-6. 500 per day. Big bucks, Big fun! Check us out on FB and Yelp first. If you think you are a good fit and want to interview, get in touch with me.

Big bucks? Big fun? Seriously?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to avoid working on weekends if possible. It's not too bad if you're single without a spouse or kids. Even then, you'll start to burn out eventually.

I would try to avoid working on weekends if possible. It's not too bad if you're single without a spouse or kids. Even then, you'll start to burn out eventually.

Absolutely true, but most new grads, especially those in commercial positions, are being pressured to work at least one weekend day. If you say you're not willing to work weekends, you can bet there will be 20 people behind you who will take a pay cut and expanded weekend hours. That's optometry now days. The days of M-F, 9-5 are ending for many offices, and they're already pretty much gone for new grads in commercial settings.

Starting pay at the regional chains in my area is 75K annually with weak benefits (better than nothing, though) and a required 6 hour day on the weekends, either Saturday or Sunday. It's not a bad thing, necessarily, but most people didn't sign up for optometry to have their weekends confiscated for the rest of their working career.

I work for an OMD now and we see patients on Saturdays. Just because you have an MD that is no exception that you will not work weekends. Patients are getting more demanding and Doctors are appeasing them to help their schedules.

I work for an OMD now and we see patients on Saturdays. Just because you have an MD that is no exception that you will not work weekends. Patients are getting more demanding and Doctors are appeasing them to help their schedules.

No one said you'd get a "weekend off" pass as a newly minted ophthalmologist. If you're entering eye care, you're going to have to put up with the crap that comes along with it. That said, newly graduated ODs will take a lot more bumps than a new ophthalmologist, all things considered. If you don't see that, you're in for a rude awakening.

The eye care professions are jammed - there should be a "no vacancy" sign hanging on every OD program in the country, but instead, we see thousands of clueless lemmings being attracted to the flame like wayward moths. Sooner or later, you'll see that all there is inside the profession is a big, electrified blue element called commercial optometry.

Last edited:

My sister told me her daughter's Peds doc now has 24hr call; saw her on a weekend night after 7pm. So i agree with MDs not an exception. But the difference is that you won't see too many oMDs working all mall hours during the weekday & weekends.

Those ads for weekend work will be many of your classmates way of living; most won't land that coveted FT $100k full benefits career position. Just te lling the truth.

That is not a good deal when you consider the inflated costs of living in NYC. But...NYC likely has an abundance of ODs willing to work for that. I have no problem working on weekends but if there's not four digits before the decimal I'm sleeping in.

That is not a good deal when you consider the inflated costs of living in NYC. But...NYC likely has an abundance of ODs willing to work for that. I have no problem working on weekends but if there's not four digits before the decimal I'm sleeping in.

Are the going rates that high in the South? I know NYC sucks for optometry but gdam.

Are the going rates that high in the South? I know NYC sucks for optometry but gdam.

You can't generalize a going rate for an entire region. There's plenty of saturated markets throughout the south like Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Birmingham, just to name a few where your quoted figure would be average or even generous. The key is to find a practice (usually commercial) that's very busy and negotiate compensation based on a percentage of exam fees. I've never seen anybody offer a flat four figure rate just for showing up.

Also, Ryan makes a good point...there's going to come a time in your life where you can't put a price on your free time.

The sad part with commercial optometry is that there's not enough patients to go around coupled that with poor reimbursements from vision insurance. Like I mentioned before, don't count on doing medical eye care if you can't get on medical panels as new grads. On top of this you have the pressure from retail opticals next door to you to open long hours or else they'll remove you and hire another naive new grad (there's plenty of them out there). So imagine you're expected to sit there all day and hardly see any patients. Think about it!!! How are you going to live? You don't see this happening with other health professions. When I need to schedule an appointment for my son to see his doctor, I usually won't get an appointment till a week later. There are so many things that are wrong with optometry I don't know where to begin. It needs a complete overhaul.

NYCBlues we all know NYC sucks for optometry but NYC is not the world. Optometry is very good in other more rural states.

@Shnurek This is off-topic but did you know that the allopathic community has made a post titled 'Should we ban Shnurek for being annoying'. Just thought you should know, I have no idea what you did to piss off the allopathic community though lol.

@Shnurek This is off-topic but did you know that the allopathic community has made a post titled 'Should we ban Shnurek for being annoying'. Just thought you should know, I have no idea what you did to piss off the allopathic community though lol.

Ya I saw it, they just hate when I post facts about optometrists being able to treat/diagnose eye diseases. Just chaffing away at their egos pisses them off.

Ya I saw it, they just hate when I post facts about optometrists being able to treat/diagnose eye diseases. Just chaffing away at their egos pisses them off.

Ummmmmm......no. Shnurek, there is absolutely zero reason for an optometry student to be hanging out on a neurosurgical thread. Face it, hoss, you're just annoying and they're calling you out on it.

The classic line when people are being called out for saying stupid stuff....the ego comment...makes me laugh

no...making stupid comments incessantly pisses them off...

I would like to add my 2 cents. NYC OD's salary per day has been stagnant for the past 3-4 years. Some actually, depending on the setting have gone down salary that is. Dr.Bazan offering is the exception not the rule for NYC OD pay. Trust me when I tell you the heydays of making Bucks as an OD in the Big Apple are gone.

IMO- better opportunities for ODs salary exists elsewhere n the country.
BTW- never heard of Pearl paying paying that much. Retail -corporate will try to get over on you as much as they can. You are an employee of their business. They don't consider you any worthy $$$$$.........Horrible

Good, every time I drive my car outside of the city to either Long Island or Westchester or New Jersey, all of a sudden the people get friendlier, the houses get nicer, the roads don't have as many potholes and its a lot less smellier.

@shnurek this is off-topic but did you know that the allopathic community has made a post titled 'should we ban shnurek for being annoying'. Just thought you should know, i have no idea what you did to piss off the allopathic community though lol.

lmao