Dress code for poster presentation at conference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AORiverContra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(for men)

Button-down shirt? Or suit with tie?

Members don't see this ad.

Shirt and tie at minimum, and a blazer or a suit would not be out of place.

Depends on the conference - ask your PI.

At a conference for a surgical specialty, everyone will be wearing a power suit. At a basic science conference, you'll find people in jeans and polos.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ffs. Wear a suit (if you have one). What is wrong with the kids today?

Maybe you can ask your mom?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Depends on the conference, though I would agree with the above. Wearing a suit or button-up/tie/blazer would not be out of place, but you may see some people quite casually dressed (which I would not recommend replicating).

Ffs. Wear a suit (if you have one). What is wrong with the kids today?

Maybe you can ask your mom?

Lol calm down there old timer

Reactions: 1 user
Dressyish pants and a wrinkle free button down at a minimum. I’m not a tie guy myself anymore, so the best you’ll ever get is a suit and no tie. I’ll make exceptions for formal events, funerals, or maybe an awards banquet, where I’m getting the award.
For a poster, not a lecture, honesty, business casual is fine.

Wear a suit. Wear a suit. Wear a suit. This is a chance to shake hands and introduce yourself to people that may matter in the residency selection process. Great networking opportunities galore. Wear a suit.

I walked around the poster competition at VAM2019 and every single dude was in a suit. Every vascular meeting I've been to where someone has presented for a poster was wearing a suit.

Good luck. Cheers.

You can always pull your jacket and tie off and then BAM you’re in slacks and a shirt if that is the vibe. But if you don’t have your jacket with you it may be missed

Some conferences will list a dress code in their websites/materials - for example, the one I'm going to in a few weeks specifically says business casual (although it's more basic science focused, so more casual is expected). But as others have said you can't go wrong by looking nice, and you can always ditch the jacket/tie.