Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kygirl12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most schools have a dress code? I emailed my school about it, and they said it would be discussed during orientation which is the Sunday before classes start. It is a first year program as well, so no older students to ask. This is a bigger deal to me because I am pregnant, due in August, with classes in June and July. I have plenty of dress clothes for my job now but am just starting to need maternity clothes. I don't want to spend uneccesary $ on dress maternity clothes if I don't need them--especially since it will only be for two months. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do most schools have a dress code? I emailed my school about it, and they said it would be discussed during orientation which is the Sunday before classes start. It is a first year program as well, so no older students to ask. This is a bigger deal to me because I am pregnant, due in August, with classes in June and July. I have plenty of dress clothes for my job now but am just starting to need maternity clothes. I don't want to spend uneccesary $ on dress maternity clothes if I don't need them--especially since it will only be for two months. Thanks in advance!

It is unlikely that you will need much (if anything) in the way of dress clothes during the first semester. Since you won't be in clinic, you may only need something more professional for the occasional guest speaker. The only exception would be that certain schools do have a class dress code that leans toward business casual, though that would be something they generally disclose ahead of time.

My school requires business casual or scrubs, no casual clothing. But, as the above poster mentioned, we were told this a good amount of time before orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the quick replies. I would have thought if they were going to have a class dress code, we would know a little in advance. Like I said, it wouldn't be an issue, except I am going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe for summer and needed to know what I was going to be spending more time in. Either way, it's going to be one hot summer! :)

I know Emory requires business casual but I don't know of any other school that does. USA requires you to tuck in your shirt. You also can't wear t-shirts and flip flops. Most of the time, we're in lab attire so it doesn't matter anyway. I never tuck in my shirt because you can't see it under my fleece. I wear nice Teva sandals and it's not a problem. Most students where jeans, khakis, and a nice shirt.

Kevin

So how come all the pictures I see of students on PT schools websites have them all in basketball shorts and t-shirts??

Could be lab attire. Lab usually lasts 2-4 hours. Lecture attire = nice jeans/pants with nice shirt. After hours, shorts and t-shirt if you're on campus.

So how come all the pictures I see of students on PT schools websites have them all in basketball shorts and t-shirts??

It depends on the school; they all have varying policies. I wore sweats, tshirts, gym shorts, etc 99% of the time. That's not allowed everywhere.

I go to class in gym shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops; slacks, button up and tie for site visits and guest speakers.

no jeans, sneakers, t-shirts or shorts allowed on campus in my program except for labs and special occasions e.g. on-campus BBQ meet & greet. ID badges have to be worn if you go into the administration building or if there's a guest lecturer.

We live in sweats and shorts at my school because we are always in labs where these are required. Every semester we have had a class or two that requires us to be in clothes to either palpate, exercise, or demonstrate. Point is, there is a high amount of variance or lack of dress codes and you will just have to figure out what your school is like. No school is the same.