Dress codes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shorts are only wearable here during non-school months, and even then they keep the AC blasting so much that the lecture halls are typically cold.
It's freezing here too, which is why I always have a jacket with me, even if it's 97 degrees outside..

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to take note of what SA GPs wear to work. Older ones wear slacks, younger wear jeans from my limited observation. What do you guys do at work?

ETA: Slacks/jeans with a scrub top that is.

Scrubs every single day. Although I'm ER not GP.

I would have ended up in Florida working as slave labor for @dyachei but she wanted me to wear business casual and a lab coat. Total deal breaker. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I've been trying to take note of what SA GPs wear to work. Older ones wear slacks, younger wear jeans from my limited observation. What do you guys do at work?

ETA: Slacks/jeans with a scrub top that is.

I wear scrubs - solid colour pants, and a patterned top - with solid black loafer-like shoes. I'm busty, so I'm uncomfortable in button up shirts, and my pants are all too expensive to want to wear to work and wash so frequently. OK - they're really rather reasonably priced pants, but after I spend $50 or $60 on alterations, they're much pricier.......I can look more professional in poorly fitting scrub pants (which never fit well) than poorly fitting pants (which make it look like I'm either an idiot who doesn't know how to dress, or a slob who doesn't care). I get a lot of comments on my unique and kinda-cool scrub tops, and I'm very particular about ones I wear (right now my favourite source is http://www.topspot4u.com/. And a name tag.

Members don't see this ad :)
do vet schools require students to wear specific color of scrubs? can we still wear printed scrubs to school?

do vet schools require students to wear specific color of scrubs? can we still wear printed scrubs to school?
It depends on the school. Likely there is a certain color that you need to wear for your clinics. At Ohio State we need ceil blue scrubs for clinics but you can wear whatever you like (any color/pattern) for anatomy lab 1st year and any labs you have 2nd or 3rd year.

Yeah... I can't imagine having to dress up for every single class every day. When we have professional events or admissions events (like the welcome dinners, etc) we're expected to dress professionally, but for lecture? I don't see a point in sitting through hours and hours of lecture in business casual. Our professors know we're students and know we're tired. As long as we're reasonably dressed (no profanity on clothes, no stuff hanging out that shouldn't be) then we're fine.

Our anatomy prof last semester suggested coming to the practical exams in pajamas :p

I've also seen plenty of lecturers, etc come in wearing pretty casual clothing. For clinics it's different.

Mississippi has a business dress code that I hear is pretty strictly enforced.
I can confirm Mississippi State's dress code. Business casual for classroom years and variable dress depending on rotations in clinical years. No jeans, no thin-strapped tank tops, no hoodies. Men have to wear ties. It was rough at first but you quickly get used to it.

Sweat pants or jeans, a hoodie of some sort, whatever shirt you wore the day before. Some kind of slip-on shoes. Praise jeebus that there wasn't any dress code for years 1-3, because slacks or khakis for 3 years would have probably kept me from ever going to class.

The idea of what a "professional" should wear is so varied.....varies not just by profession, but also by location and business culture.

Reactions: 1 users
So scrubs on a daily sounds enticing. They're so comfy!

Haha wow, yeah that was a while ago! I still like the idea of a dress code, but I know not everyone does. You really never know who you'll run into in the halls of the CVM :)
Wow, hey how've you been!? It's been a while!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

One of my favourite quotes from vet school was a classmate on the anesthesia rotation, which is the only rotation that wears scrubs all day: "I don't wanna put on my day pyjamas."

The only rotation? Even your ECC rotation makes you wear not-scrubs? That seems silly.

I liked UMN's approach. On appt days you wear decent clothes. On procedure days you wear scrubs. That applied to most rotations - ophtho, neuro, surgery, intmed, ecc (where every day is a procedure day, of course), cardio.... whatever. If you had a procedure, you wore scrubs.

Or maybe that was just how I approached it and I was totally ignoring the rules. I tended to do that a lot.

The only rotation? Even your ECC rotation makes you wear not-scrubs? That seems silly.

I liked UMN's approach. On appt days you wear decent clothes. On procedure days you wear scrubs. That applied to most rotations - ophtho, neuro, surgery, intmed, ecc (where every day is a procedure day, of course), cardio.... whatever. If you had a procedure, you wore scrubs.

Or maybe that was just how I approached it and I was totally ignoring the rules. I tended to do that a lot.
There is no ECC rotation at AVC, the caseload just isn't big enough. Emergencies were dealt with by whatever relevant service (ie a hit by car would probably be a surgery case, a rodenticide toxicity would be a medicine case). For surgery rotations, business/business casual was expected unless you were going into surgery shortly.

This is how it's done here. ES, ICU and Exotics are scrubs all the time though. Everything else is they way you described.

Sure has! I have been great. Vet school has kept me busy enough that I only check in here once in a while, but yeah, it's been great for the most part. How have you been? :)

Purdy good here as well! I'm feeling like a legit doctor now rather than a baby doc which is a relief.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app