Dropping interviews ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godawg300

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been fortunate to be accepted by a med school. I'm happy with that and have dropped 8 interviews from schools I'm no longer interested in. I have 4 interviews that I'm not sure I should drop yet. I have already completed 10 interviews and I'm wondering if I can gain anything else by completing these 4 schools.

Some extra background. One of the 4 is in the top 25 and probably more prestigious than my current acceptance. The other 3 are in the top 40 and about the same level as my current acceptance. Im debating if it's worth attending on the slim chance that I get a better financial aid package. I obviously don't have any idea what my current package would be but the school I hold an acceptance to has a high average indebtedness. So, is it worth the extra money to fly out to these places? Based on us news these schools all have a lower indebtedness than my current acceptance. I don't have much money so financial aid packages are important to me. I would love to get some scholarship but know those are rare.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the interviews if it's possible you would prefer to attend that institution for any reason (money, location, prestige, etc).

I think it's definitely worth the money toward travel now in case you are accepted to a school that gives you a better financial aid package later!

Members don't see this ad :)
and if you really wanna save $500-$800, here's my suggestion. Look at the 4 schools you have interviews at, thoroughly analyze their reputation, location, tuition, financial aid options, average indebtedness etc. Then based on your analysis, pick the least desirable school to you among the 4 options. Drop the interview for that school and attend the remaining 3 interviews. I doubt you will be losing out on much by following this strategy.

I'd go just for a reason to travel and visit new places. You'll give yourself more options by doing so as well as others have said.

If you have money and time to spare, and you're not really exhausted from travelling, it might be a good idea to visit these schools just to see if one of them surprises you! You might love one, or you could get a great scholarship from one of them. But if you're tired or broke or missing too much work/school, I think the schools will understand if you cancel the interviews. My rule of thumb is just to minimize the regrets you'll have upon finishing the cycle -- if you'll regret foregoing opportunities, go to the interviews. If you'll regret spending too much money or being gone too often, cancel them.

Congratulations on getting into a school you love! What a wonderful accomplishment :)

Reactions: 1 users
So I think there definitely might be some benefits to interviewing at these schools. Primarily for financial reasons as my current acceptance has the best location. I might just pay the extra money to attend because of that. Thanks for everyone's advice :) I'd rather not have any regrets at the end of the cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
So I think there definitely might be some benefits to interviewing at these schools. Primarily for financial reasons as my current acceptance has the best location. I might just pay the extra money to attend because of that. Thanks for everyone's advice :) I'd rather not have any regrets at the end of the cycle.

this is all i thought of... not sure why.

good luck OP!

Reactions: 1 user

Exactly. I think it might make sense to go to a few mixed batch of interviews, i.e. schools that are less and more competitive than the ones you were already accepted at. If you are accepted at any of these and they give you more $$$ than the school you want to go to, it can be leverage at times. It's a little bit of money and time now for what might be a lot more later.

Congrats!