Dropping out of SMP, Lethal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Post_Base

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm a nontrad that was in an SMP (524 MCAT but 3.07 cGPA after postbacc) who recently dropped out after like 2 weeks. It's difficult to articulate why; I know you hear about "oh med school is hard" but putting numbers to these words brings new perspective. Once I was there and saw the structure and developed weekly study/class plans it easily came out to 60+ hours per week every week. I went through a bunch of existential panic ("my life is evaporating in front of my eyes" etc. type stuff) and just left I guess.

I'm not sure I want to return to the medical field, but if I decide later that I do (once I think things over a lot more) would that still be a realistic option? I did not receive a single grade in the SMP before dropping so I technically didn't "flunk out". Would there be a way to omit my very short tenure from applications? Or if not, would I be able to explain the reasoning/would it even matter?

Would appreciate some external perspective. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So I'm a nontrad that was in an SMP (524 MCAT but 3.07 cGPA after postbacc) who recently dropped out after like 2 weeks. It's difficult to articulate why; I know you hear about "oh med school is hard" but putting numbers to these words brings new perspective. Once I was there and saw the structure and developed weekly study/class plans it easily came out to 60+ hours per week every week. I went through a bunch of existential panic ("my life is evaporating in front of my eyes" etc. type stuff) and just left I guess.

I'm not sure I want to return to the medical field, but if I decide later that I do (once I think things over a lot more) would that still be a realistic option? I did not receive a single grade in the SMP before dropping so I technically didn't "flunk out". Would there be a way to omit my very short tenure from applications? Or if not, would I be able to explain the reasoning/would it even matter?

Underperformance is lethal. Dropping out is not lethal. I don't know how it would be reported on your applications, but if you weren't assigned any grades even if you have to report you simply say that life issues got in the way and you weren't ready at the time to give it your full effort so you withdrew to a later date when you were able to fully commit (assuming that day ever fully comes). If you're able to back up that story with a good performance on a SMP then this will be a nothingburger. All this is speculative as you have to actually cross that bridge of completing the SMP to get to the next step.

But this sounds like you don't want to do the SMP and then maybe apply anyway? Not sure that would be best path with your GPA, but your MCAT will expire at some point so the clock is ticking...

Reactions: 1 user
Underperformance is lethal. Dropping out is not lethal. I don't know how it would be reported on your applications, but if you weren't assigned any grades even if you have to report you simply say that life issues got in the way and you weren't ready at the time to give it your full effort so you withdrew to a later date when you were able to fully commit (assuming that day ever fully comes). If you're able to back up that story with a good performance on a SMP then this will be a nothingburger. All this is speculative as you have to actually cross that bridge of completing the SMP to get to the next step.

But this sounds like you don't want to do the SMP and then maybe apply anyway? Not sure that would be best path with your GPA, but your MCAT will expire at some point so the clock is ticking...
Thanks for the response. I am not against the SMP in the future I sort of enjoyed the environment, it was purely the fact that I was unprepared for the time commitment as it stood (there were some other personal issues as well). I need to take some time and think if I truly want to do medicine because the hours are very serious, but if I go back it would probably be through the SMP due to the GPA, as you mentioned.

Hey all,

If you're ready to take a Crack at it again, that's OK

Reactions: 1 user
Given your extremely short tenure, there might not even be a formal transcript record. I'd check with the school, but (as I'm sure you know), there is typically a drop deadline. In my experience classes dropped before this deadline don't have any impact on your transcript (i.e., no Ws, etc.). That said, I obviously don't know how it works at every school.