Dry itchy patches in new geographical location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doorknob1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I grew up a couple miles from the beach in California where it the air was always moist and the temperature was between 60 and 85 year round. Years ago I moved inland to a city with dry air and the temperature ranges from 50 to 105. Immediately after I moved I found that I had to put ChapStick on several times a day. I always had to put ChapStick on away from home but back home I never needed it.

A few months after I moved I got really itchy, dry patches of skin on my lower legs. They itch like crazy several times a day. But whenever I go somewhere near the coast, they don't bother me at all. I've tried using lotion, the doctor gave me this steroid gel and some kind of treated tape to put on them. Im not using soap on that part of my legs (per doctor recommendation). The gel helps but Im only allowed to use it for a few weeks at a time and then it goes back to the way it was.

The dry flakiness hasn't spread- the areas have remained the same for years and isn't spreading.

Any idea what this could be and how to manage it?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to your friendly neighborhood dermatologist.

These forums are not for medical advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.