Prestige vs. Location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for current residents who might have had this dilemma in their rank lists, which I know is wayyy later...

So I recently wrapped up an away rotation (my last one) at an amazing program (top 10 ranking, surprisingly benign, all the residents and faculty were super chill). I thought it had the most wholesome Dermatology training of any program I went to (multiple hospitals, diverse patient population, expert subspecialties clinics, bigwhigs galore in basic science and clinical derm etc....) I could see why it was top 10, I was blown away. You definitely work hard but are also rewarded. Major con is: not a fan of the city itself, commute, having to be in a new location, new friends, etc...

There is another program I really liked...great training (middle tier on doximity not like rankings matter ;p), cush, but perhaps not as the breadth of training as the program above (fewer bigwhig faculty, fewer settings)....it was also a relatively benign program as well. Huge pros are I have a ton of friends there, love the city and hope to eventually settle there, and my life outside Derm would be amazing.

Both programs also have a Mohs fellowship that loves/takes its own residents (a track I am considering, long term).

With all this in mind...a 10 yrs younger version of me would probably think this is a no brainer and I would opt for the first choice (prestige). But, in Derm, where training is relatively standard, everyone passes the boards, plus if my goal is Mohs surgery, and not to mention most importantly happiness (I'm at a much older age where things outside of medicine are of even greatrr value to me than before I.e. honing long term relationships, life outside work )...what would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Quick question for current residents who might have had this dilemma in their rank lists, which I know is wayyy later...

So I recently wrapped up an away rotation (my last one) at an amazing program (top 10 ranking, surprisingly benign, all the residents and faculty were super chill). I thought it had the most wholesome Dermatology training of any program I went to (multiple hospitals, diverse patient population, expert subspecialties clinics, bigwhigs galore in basic science and clinical derm etc....) I could see why it was top 10, I was blown away. You definitely work hard but are also rewarded. Major con is: not a fan of the city itself, commute, having to be in a new location, new friends, etc...

There is another program I really liked...great training (middle tier on doximity not like rankings matter ;p), cush, but perhaps not as the breadth of training as the program above (fewer bigwhig faculty, fewer settings)....it was also a relatively benign program as well. Huge pros are I have a ton of friends there, love the city and hope to eventually settle there, and my life outside Derm would be amazing.

Both programs also have a Mohs fellowship that loves/takes its own residents (a track I am considering, long term).

With all this in mind...a 10 yrs younger version of me would probably think this is a no brainer and I would opt for the first choice (prestige). But, in Derm, where training is relatively standard, everyone passes the boards, plus if my goal is Mohs surgery, and not to mention most importantly happiness (I'm at a much older age where things outside of medicine and the best of the best Derm training are of great value to me I.e. honing long term relationships )...what would you recommend?

If you know there's an area you would like to practice (and you happen to like the program there as well), that would probably be the best fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prestige vs. Location
AKA
Living to impress other people vs living for yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
The only way I'd recommend even partially using prestige as a deciding factor is if you plan a research oriented academic career...which most say they want, but very few do.

I cannot stress enough that you should choose where you will be happiest. If you are thicker skinned...pick the awesome location that may be a little malignant. If you value book learning during clinic pick the program that stresses (allows) that.

We don't know your personality so only you can decide.

The best advice I can give is go half with a thought out decision and half with a gut decision...and when deciding, never decide among things, only between.

Reactions: 1 user