PhD/PsyD DU PsyD Interview Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayerhead

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

I'm preparing for an interview with DU's PsyD program in a few weeks. I've read through all of the archives I could search for, but didn't find any particulars about the interviewing process there.

There's an individual interview with a faculty member as well as a group interview. Anyone have suggestions of things to prepare for or tips for the group interview format?

I tend to over-prepare for things, so I appreciate any help in focusing my attempts.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about University of Denver? If so I interviewed there when I applied for doc programs and was accepted but chose another program. It was well organized and the faculty was warm. I was definitely more myself and disclosing (with appropriate content) during my individual interview because that's the feel I got from the program and what they wanted. Group interview format was to pair of with another applicant talk about yourself and then present them to the group. I would say it is safe to assume that you should be supportive and affirmative. My guess was that they wanted to see if you could "play nice" and not a dofus interpersonally. I imagine they were assessing to see if you would be able to gel with your cohort. My 2 cents and experience. Good luck!

There seems to be an abundance of conscientiousness and neuroticism around preparation for admission interviews. If you made it to the interview they obviously think you possess the basic and requisite academic talents. As long as you can talk cohesively about your experiences and objectives you'll be fine. Be your regular warm, intepersonally skilled, appropriate self that people would (hopefully) want to work with over a 4-5 year course of study and you'll be just fine.

It seemed to be a good program but prohibitively expensive.

@voyeurofthemind thank you for your feedback! Yes, I am referring to University of Denver. It sounds like what I was planning for (and exactly like a previous practicum placement interview). I'm glad you had a good experience. And I do understand about the cost issue. It's definitely one that I have had to plan for.