Dui

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doct0be

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was accepted to medical school x. However the summer of application year I got a dui (no accident, no injuries, just me in the car), that will be dismissed upon completion of a program. The medical school secondary didn't ask about pending charges or anything that would stop me from licensure so I did not disclose it. When I disclose this information to the medical school, what are my chances of being allowed to matriculate?

Members don't see this ad.

Great question. I don't have an answer about the matriculation part, but you should be aware that this will likely be brought up when you are going for residency, when you apply for a state medical license, AND when you apply for credentialing priveleges.

I know people who got through the whole system with a DUI prior to med and now work as an attending physician. You should ensure that you don't get any other criminal issues in you background to minimize your challenges. It can be viewed as a potential red flag for a substance abuse problem.

Wook

I always thought you had to disclose this in the primary application. I'd probably check with a lawyer about legal differences between it being dismissed vs expunged. If you don't disclose it to the school and end up graduating they could take your degree away, leaving you in tears and debt.
In my state it is the same, once dismissed it will be removed from my record

Members don't see this ad :)
Great question. I don't have an answer about the matriculation part, but you should be aware that this will likely be brought up when you are going for residency, when you apply for a state medical license, AND when you apply for credentialing priveleges.

I know people who got through the whole system with a DUI prior to med and now work as an attending physician. You should ensure that you don't get any other criminal issues in you background to minimize your challenges. It can be viewed as a potential red flag for a substance abuse problem.

Wook
Well it will be dismissed in August at the latest so it will be off my record. Where I plan on applying for residency and liscensure, the application only asks about convictions which I will not have.

Well it will be dismissed in August at the latest so it will be off my record. Where I plan on applying for residency and liscensure, the application only asks about convictions which I will not have.

I would be very careful on this one. If any of the organizations get a whiff that you were not forthright, you will likely lose your license. I would talk to an attorney for clarification on this. Dismissed does not mean that the record goes away. There is a record somewhere of it.

I have done background investigations on people in another life, and when looking at criminal history would be able to see not guilty, guilty, continued without a finding, and dismissed on the records check. Look very closely at the wording on the questions concerning arrested or charged with a crime.

As a physician, the four states I've worked in would likely require disclosure. In the state I worked where I did background investigation on people, disclosure would likely be required.

Again, I would discuss with an attorney. They are the most qualified to answer this question.

Thanks.

Wook

I would be very careful on this one. If any of the organizations get a whiff that you were not forthright, you will likely lose your license. I would talk to an attorney for clarification on this. Dismissed does not mean that the record goes away. There is a record somewhere of it.

I have done background investigations on people in another life, and when looking at criminal history would be able to see not guilty, guilty, continued without a finding, and dismissed on the records check. Look very closely at the wording on the questions concerning arrested or charged with a crime.

As a physician, the four states I've worked in would likely require disclosure. In the state I worked where I did background investigation on people, disclosure would likely be required.

Again, I would discuss with an attorney. They are the most qualified to answer this question.

Thanks.

Wook
Okay thanks, the first step is matriculating at the medical school which is why I was wondering my chances. But I certainly will look into it later down the road.

I always thought you had to disclose this in the primary application. I'd probably check with a lawyer about legal differences between it being dismissed vs expunged. If you don't disclose it to the school and end up graduating they could take your degree away, leaving you in tears and debt.
DIU are always so bad of us, :unsure:

Every school I applied to in the DO community asked about any arrests or any priors and specifically said that it doesn't matter if they were dismissed or expunged, you MUST disclose the information. They do a background check on you, so you might as well disclose it..Not to mention, my background check brought up some incident that happened when I was 11 years old and I had no idea of it because I was never arrested or charged and the police officers never talked to my parents, but they put it in the computer as a charge and then dropped it without every notifying me lol. Be careful, disclose it.

Reactions: 1 user
Every school I applied to in the DO community asked about any arrests or any priors and specifically said that it doesn't matter if they were dismissed or expunged, you MUST disclose the information. They do a background check on you, so you might as well disclose it..Not to mention, my background check brought up some incident that happened when I was 11 years old and I had no idea of it because I was never arrested or charged and the police officers never talked to my parents, but they put it in the computer as a charge and then dropped it without every notifying me lol. Be careful, disclose it.
Yes, there is not much private life in Medicine, they find out all about you soon enough

Had a DUI. Disclose everything. It likely won't prevent you from getting in or getting licensed. When they ask about charges on your record, they are looking for things like molestation and assault, things that absolutely bar you from becoming a physician. You'd be surprised how many applicants (and faculty) have a DUI.

I was open about these charges since the beginning (even though they were officially expunged). After 3 interviews--allopathic and osteopathic--not a single person brought it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ask a professional pre-med advisor HOW to disclose it. But you really need to disclose it.

It is very, very stupid to try to hide criminal charges from schools and licensing boards on the basis of technicalities ("was I really CONVICTED though?") The schools and licensing boards are looking for honesty, not perfection, and one way or another, be it a background check or a licensing investigation, it's gonna come up. Certi-phi is the very good at what they do, and they're the least of your worries if you try to hide ****.

I have close friends who matriculated at MD schools with DUIs on their PUBLIC record. One even got the DUI a few months before matriculating. They are fine.

Take the class, get some counseling, start school, and don't even think of f*cking up again.