This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whats your status for the duke mbs program>

• accepted! Yupppeee!!!! :)

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • rejected!! #heartbroken :(

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • deferred! #fingerscrossed :/

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • didnt apply. -_-

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • waiting #ticktock

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DRHRT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! Any reviews on DUKE MBS program? Success Rate? Housing? Anything you guys would like to ask or share about this program this is the place.....:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I am an MBS alumnus from the inaugural class and would love to answer any questions about the program. Hopefully some of the current students will chime in on this thread too. The application opens up tomorrow, November 14th, at 8:00am.

This program is one of a kind, with an encompassing curriculum that allows its students to explore a broad range of venues within the healthcare environment. It is for you if you are looking to go medical school, and it is for you if you are NOT looking to go to medical school. I will leave describing the program in further detail to the program website and for any of the current students to elaborate on.

Housing is relatively cheap in Durham, which itself is an awesome "small" southern town. If you are open to room mates you can be housed with utilities for ~550 a person in a 2/2 near campus and cheaper if a little further away. Duke has a bus system that goes off campus and Durham has a good public bus system as well. I put small in quotes there because Durham is growing, and rapidly. If someone came back to downtown Durham who had last been there 7-9 years ago they would be amazed. Lots of restaurants, cultures, and history.

Success rate: Duke MBS is brand spanking new! So please be cognizant of the fact that our data set is still growing. We have one class that has graduated and class #2 currently enrolled. Out of our inaugural class, 4 people out of 31 went into either dental or medical school right after the program, having had a successful application cycle while enrolled in the program. The multitude of people I still stay in contact with who applied this year have had a slew of interviews and will probably end up with multiple acceptances by March. Others have pursued positions in research and are doing incredible there too. Lots of us also have jobs during this "gap year" after MBS and those jobs are at least partially attributable to the Master's degree we earned. This program helps you become a very competent professional who is ready to take the next step on your path in healthcare, and that will come through in your apps and your interviews. It has for mine!

I will say that we had double the number of applications last year and will definitely have more this year. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to move this to pre-allo since one of the tags is "premed forums" and this is a premed topic

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I am an MBS alumnus from the inaugural class and would love to answer any questions about the program. Hopefully some of the current students will chime in on this thread too. The application opens up tomorrow, November 14th, at 8:00am.

This program is one of a kind, with an encompassing curriculum that allows its students to explore a broad range of venues within the healthcare environment. It is for you if you are looking to go medical school, and it is for you if you are NOT looking to go to medical school. I will leave describing the program in further detail to the program website and for any of the current students to elaborate on.

Housing is relatively cheap in Durham, which itself is an awesome "small" southern town. If you are open to room mates you can be housed with utilities for ~550 a person in a 2/2 near campus and cheaper if a little further away. Duke has a bus system that goes off campus and Durham has a good public bus system as well. I put small in quotes there because Durham is growing, and rapidly. If someone came back to downtown Durham who had last been there 7-9 years ago they would be amazed. Lots of restaurants, cultures, and history.

Success rate: Duke MBS is brand spanking new! So please be cognizant of the fact that our data set is still growing. We have one class that has graduated and class #2 currently enrolled. Out of our inaugural class, 4 people out of 31 went into either dental or medical school right after the program, having had a successful application cycle while enrolled in the program. The multitude of people I still stay in contact with who applied this year have had a slew of interviews and will probably end up with multiple acceptances by March. Others have pursued positions in research and are doing incredible there too. Lots of us also have jobs during this "gap year" after MBS and those jobs are at least partially attributable to the Master's degree we earned. This program helps you become a very competent professional who is ready to take the next step on your path in healthcare, and that will come through in your apps and your interviews. It has for mine!

I will say that we had double the number of applications last year and will definitely have more this year. Good luck everyone!

Hello! Do you happen to know how many of your classmates, or those in the inaugural class submitted test scores? I know they are not a requirement, but I was wondering if it is seen as favorable to have them.

Hello! Do you happen to know how many of your classmates, or those in the inaugural class submitted test scores? I know they are not a requirement, but I was wondering if it is seen as favorable to have them.
I don't it makes a difference.

Good luck to everyone that has applied for priority review. May the odds be ever in your favor!

Reactions: 1 user
r u applyn for priority rvw??

Yeah! I applied for priority review. I wonder how many people in total are applying this year. Did you apply for priority review as well?

Yeah! I applied for priority review. I wonder how many people in total are applying this year. Did you apply for priority review as well?

yes. I submitted my app nov 28, wt abt u? r u trying to improve ur application med school or dental?

Good luck with everything ! I applied for priority review also. Do you know if they offer scholarships, because the tuition is really expensive.
Thank you! Good luck to you as well! It'd be nice if we were all admitted. And I believe they said that all admitted students are considered for limited tuition scholarships. I doubt that it'd cover all of the tuition though. And I'm not sure if they offer grants. I'd probably have to take out a few loans.

Hi all,

The Duke MBS web page has plenty of useful info to answer these questions, and also includes the links to the School of Medicine's financial aid website, which has the student budget pdfs.
Duke MBS home site: https://medschool.duke.edu/education/degree-programs-and-admissions/master-biomedical-sciences
Duke SOM financial aid page: https://medschool.duke.edu/node/2745
2016-17 student budget MBS program: https://medschool.duke.edu/sites/me...ents/master_of_biomedical_sciences_budget.pdf

I can tell you from my year in Durham that the student budget amounts are an accurate reflection of the cost of living in Durham. There is even some wiggle room if you are able to budget yourself and especially if you are open to room-mates.

Also, FILL OUT YOUR FAFSA NOW!!!!! some students waited till the last minute to do this and it can cause problems with receiving financial aid on time.

Best of luck to all who are applying!

Reactions: 1 users
I've been wondering the same thing. They just said no later than February 28th on the website. So i guess it's a possibility that they'll notify us beforehand. However, if they do this, I wonder if it'll only be those accepted that will receive the early notification. And on February 28th everyone else will receive their decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with an admissions representative about a week ago and he said that those who applied for priority review will receive an admission decision ON Feb 28th.

Well only about two and a half more weeks of waiting. Good luck to everyone!

Did anyone who applied for priority review submit MCAT scores? (For those planning on applying to medical school). Oh and btw Good luck to everyone !
I submitted my MCAT scores, but from what I heard, it doesn't factor into their decision. It's used more as a guide for them to know how the program can help you! Good luck to all applying!!

Hi Guys, I have received a call today that I have been accepted into the program. I will be creating a Facebook Group now for those who have been accepted. Let me know so I can add you.

Hi Guys, I have received a call today that I have been accepted into the program. I will be creating a Facebook Group now for those who have been accepted. Let me know so I can add you.
Congrats!! I was also accepted today! Lol I just didn't want to be the first person to say anything. Was definitely expecting to have to wait till next Tuesday.

Hi guys, I have been accepted today also. Congrats! Was anyone offered a merit scholarship? I received a small one, but still worried about the price of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! I was also accepted today! Lol I just didn't want to be the first person to say anything. Was definitely expecting to have to wait till next Tuesday.
What is the Facebook group called?

Last edited:
Congrats ! I was offered a small one also.
I was offered a small one as well! Every little bit counts. Still trying to see how I'm going to afford it though.
Congrats guys! Yeah, I have to figure out how to afford it also. Do you guys have any idea how well this looks for med school? Since it's new I don't know anyone who has done it before, but I'm guessing the Duke name carries some weight.

Congrats guys! Yeah, I have to figure out how to afford it also. Do you guys have any idea how well this looks for med school? Since it's new I don't know anyone who has done it before, but I'm guessing the Duke name carries some weight.
I have no idea. I'm assuming it will look well to medical schools if we succeed in the program since it's at Duke. The name does carry some weight. Also, has anyone started looking at housing in Durham?

Last edited:
Congrats to all who have been accepted so far!

Here are a few good resources to begin your searches for housing in Durham:

http://nearduke.com/housing This is compiled through The Chronicle, Duke's newspaper, and has apartment listings.

https://offcampushousing.duke.edu/ is a resource to find apartments and roommates as well.

Also, once you all have netid's you can login to dukelist, Duke's internal craigslist. https://dukelist.duke.edu/

I would also suggest joining the allduke facebook page once you have a duke email address, plenty of posts for housing / move out sales etc.

Hope to see you all in July! Welcome to MBS!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all who have been accepted so far!

Here are a few good resources to begin your searches for housing in Durham:

http://nearduke.com/housing This is compiled through The Chronicle, Duke's newspaper, and has apartment listings.

https://offcampushousing.duke.edu/ is a resource to find apartments and roommates as well.

Also, once you all have netid's you can login to dukelist, Duke's internal craigslist. https://dukelist.duke.edu/

I would also suggest joining the allduke facebook page once you have a duke email address, plenty of posts for housing / move out sales etc.

Hope to see you all in July! Welcome to MBS!
Thank you! This is super helpful. I've been racking my brain looking for affordable apartments.

Would anyone who was already accepted be willing to share their stats? Thanks!

Hey, I am an Exercise Physiology/pre-med major with a 3.99 GPA so far (graduating in May). My MCAT was average, 500, but I heard they don't really consider those scores. I volunteered at a hospital for 2 years and have done research twice, but nothing published. I am in ECU's Honors College, which has a lot of involvement. I work as a tutor and have various shadowing experiences, but I don't think those were included in my app. Best of luck to you in applying!! :)

Lol unlike ecupirate16, I only have a 3.69 GPA. I'm a psychology/pre-med major and have not taken the MCAT yet. I've had two years worth of leadership experience as a resident advisor, held jobs, volunteered at a hospital, and currently do research. No publications though. I've had a few physician shadowing experiences as well. Definitely nothing stellar. Good luck to everyone applying!

I have been looking at the University Apartments which aren't too far from campus but I haven't found too many that I liked as yet. I'll be looking at the websites posted above to see if I can find some there. Have you found any?
Hey! No, I haven't really found any. The really nice apartments are a bit out of my price range. I'm thinking about Duke Manor. They don't seem too bad.

Rejected! Congrats to all who got accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting!

Rejected! Congrats to all who got accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting!

I'm sorry. Did you apply for early acceptance? Did you submit mcat scores? Can you pls share your stats if you don't mind. I applied for early acceptance, and got deferred to regular admission...still waiting to hear. :(

I'm sorry. Did you apply for early acceptance? Did you submit mcat scores? Can you pls share your stats if you don't mind. I applied for early acceptance, and got deferred to regular admission...still waiting to hear. :(
Me too, one of my letters was late! Mind sharing your stats?

Me too, one of my letters was late! Mind sharing your stats?

I submitted everything 2 weeks after the application opened. waaayyy before the deadline. My LOR,transcipts-everything was on time.
cgpa 3.55

the deferal email stated: "your application was considered very strong; however, we are not able to offer you an acceptance at this time." we have deferred ur app to regular adm.

What were ur stats?

Last edited:
:(

Last edited:
Yep, I applied for early acceptance. I also submitted my MCAT scores, which aren't factored into their decision. cGPA - 3.54. Good luck!

Hi Guys! Any reviews on DUKE MBS program? Success Rate? Housing? Anything you guys would like to ask or share about this program this is the place.....:)
I'm so nervous waiting for regular decision! I called the dept and they said we would find out March 15 So soon!!! Who else is waiting for regular decision?

are accepted students sent an email and/or phone call?

are accepted students sent an email and/or phone call?
I'm so nervous waiting for regular decision! I called the dept and they said we would find out March 15 So soon!!! Who else is waiting for regular decision?
Im wait tooo....eerrhh
What r ur stats if u dont mind me asking?

Did they say everyone will hear back by March 15? I submitted about a week or two ago!

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to everyone that has already been accepted! I'm sure many of you are anxiously waiting to hear back if you were either waitlisted after priority review or applied for regular review. I can assure you that the staff and faculty are working diligently to send out decisions in a timely manner. I am a Class of 2016 Duke MBS alum who has been accepted into medical school. One of our faculty members suggested I share with you a few tidbits of information, especially for those of you unsure about whether Duke MBS can get you to that next step in your career:

- Of the 9 students that applied to medical or dental school last year (Class of 2016), 7 were accepted and are currently halfway through their first year (including 2 at DukeMed).

- This year, the remaining majority of us applied and have overall had great success as 23/29 have been accepted into professional school, including several at DukeMed. Please note that the application cycle has not yet ended and we are anticipating even more acceptances.

- Many of my classmates and I can attest to the fact that MBS not only helped us improve our MCAT scores and prepared us very well for medical/dental/other health care professional school, we felt that our applications were greatly enhanced by our graduate school experiences. Interviewing for medical school, especially for second time applicants, was much less daunting and exponentially more engaging because of MBS.

There is so much more that I can say about this program but I hope this gives you some insight into what Duke MBS can do for you!

If you have any questions, please contact the office directly as they can provide you with more detail and insight.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard back today?