DVM/PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GirlFromUpNorth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have some inquiries about DVM/PhD programs... Does anyone know what type of research experience is recommended in order to be competitive for one of these programs? I realize they are very competitive, so I am assuming (please correct me if I am wrong) that you have to show a strong aptitude towards research during your undergraduate career. Would working on a project be considered adequate "research experience" or do you think (or know) that they are looking for students that have their names on papers that have been published.

If anyone has any stats from successful DVM/PhD applicants that would be GREAT :) I have looked around the forum a little bit but they are pretty few and far between.

Also, if anyone has any advice for an upcoming junior who will be applying (hopefully for DVM/PhD) in the class of 2021 cycle it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to PM me if the other threads don't answer your questions on the application process/successful stats -- I only applied to the more or less fully-funded programs this past cycle (minus Cornell, 'cause ewww Ithaca), but I can share my own stats and what I remember of my fellow interviewees.

Hello all!

I have some inquiries about DVM/PhD programs... Does anyone know what type of research experience is recommended in order to be competitive for one of these programs? I realize they are very competitive, so I am assuming (please correct me if I am wrong) that you have to show a strong aptitude towards research during your undergraduate career. Would working on a project be considered adequate "research experience" or do you think (or know) that they are looking for students that have their names on papers that have been published.

If anyone has any stats from successful DVM/PhD applicants that would be GREAT :) I have looked around the forum a little bit but they are pretty few and far between.

Also, if anyone has any advice for an upcoming junior who will be applying (hopefully for DVM/PhD) in the class of 2021 cycle it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Hey! I'm a current DVM/PhD student. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

I'm a bit swamped with lab work and finals this week and next, but I can give a more thorough reply soon enough! :)

Oh wow, this is really interesting to me as someone who is very interested in research (going onto my second summer research program), but doesn't want to commit to another 4+ years of school. Can anyone elaborate on the options with just a DVM? Where can I find out about these job opportunities post graduation, and do they require any sort of post graduate training? Thanks.