D'ya wanna rAvE?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yaah said:
Neurosurgery was my personal demon. Probably because I kept getting stuck in 10 hour procedures where I was first assist because my school didn't have neurosurg residents.
We couldn't even get neurosurgery experience at my school unless we went through the ballyhoo of doing formal electives!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah that was like us with Ophtho. I would never have done ophtho though. Eyes are so icky. If I ever had to put a knife in someone's eye I would probably squeal loudly and then pass out.

Somewhat relatedly...

So I managed my first bone marrow biopsy today. It went well (23mm core!), and I was doubly glad because the patient was nice ("I didn't feel a thing!") and hopefully the service won't be seeing him again.

I was a little concerned at first since despite the extensive revisiting of Netter's and Grant's and quizzing of several other residents I really couldn't recite the neurovascular relations of the posterior superior iliac crest off the top of my head. Then I realized the reason they were even letting me do this was because there aren't really any vital structures in the area.

I wonder what patients would think if they ever caught their doctor taking a last look at a "BMBx 101" cheatsheet before entering the room.