Ear & Eye Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

regeneration

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are questions based only on pure memorization of the structures/mechanisms of the ear and eye still seen/tested on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Are questions based only on pure memorization of the structures/mechanisms of the ear and eye still seen/tested on the MCAT?

Know the basics:

Ear: Ampulla, Cochlea, Endolymph and hair cells

Eye: Retina, Cones (color) and Rods (light)

Any more details should be provided by the passage

Know the basics:

Ear: Ampulla, Cochlea, Endolymph and hair cells

Eye: Retina, Cones (color) and Rods (light)

Any more details should be provided by the passage

Way too basic IMO.

Ear: Know structures, understand what the impedance mismatch is and the function of the ossicles, know chambers of the cochlea and basic function of hair cells / stereocilia.

Eye: Know function of cornea vs lens, lens characteristics (naturally spherical, etc.), functions of ciliary muscle vs iris contraction, know characteristics of rod and cone photoreceptors and how they work (retinal isomerization and enzyme cascade to membrane permeability), rod bleaching, foveal cone density, and pathway of light through retina (i.e. passes through ganglion cells first, hits photoreceptors last).

Disclaimer: I've taken a course on sensation and perception and I already know all of this stuff backwards and forwards. Still, I think a lot of this stuff is easy to understand and worth knowing.

way too basic imo.

Ear: Know structures, understand what the impedance mismatch is and the function of the ossicles, know chambers of the cochlea and basic function of hair cells / stereocilia.

Eye: Know function of cornea vs lens, lens characteristics (naturally spherical, etc.), functions of ciliary muscle vs iris contraction, know characteristics of rod and cone photoreceptors and how they work (retinal isomerization and enzyme cascade to membrane permeability), rod bleaching, foveal cone density, and pathway of light through retina (i.e. Passes through ganglion cells first, hits photoreceptors last).

Disclaimer: I've taken a course on sensation and perception and i already know all of this stuff backwards and forwards. Still, i think a lot of this stuff is easy to understand and worth knowing.

10/10