Early applicant, haven't heard anything - Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corvid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my primary application 6/10 and submitted secondary applications for 21 schools mostly in the month of July (see list before). Other than 4 rejections, I have not heard anything yet.

Is it a good idea for me to add more schools to my list, or is it too late in the game? Am I just being impatient? Any advice would be much appreciated.

My stats:
3.97 cGPA (3.97 sGPA), 31 MCAT, solid extracurricular activities

My school list:
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine - Rejected
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA -> still no secondary
Drexel University College of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Northwestern
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
Rush Medical College
University of California, San Diego
University of California San Francisco - Rejected
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine
University of California-Riverside School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Wisconsin - Rejected
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine - Rejected

Members don't see this ad.

I count 8 schools where you have a fair chance at an interview. That's usually a bit low for a CA applicant. You might want to add a couple more schools where you may get an intervieew.

So it's not too late to add schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I submitted my primary application 6/10 and submitted secondary applications for 21 schools mostly in the month of July (see list before). Other than 4 rejections, I have not heard anything yet.

Is it a good idea for me to add more schools to my list, or is it too late in the game? Am I just being impatient? Any advice would be much appreciated.

My stats:
3.97 cGPA (3.97 sGPA), 31 MCAT, solid extracurricular activities

My school list:
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine - Rejected
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA -> still no secondary
Drexel University College of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Northwestern
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
Rush Medical College
University of California, San Diego
University of California San Francisco - Rejected
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine
University of California-Riverside School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Wisconsin - Rejected
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine - Rejected

Have u been checking the UCLA web page for your application status? I was under the same assumption that I got no 2nd application from them since there wasn't any emails from the school notifying my status. But when I checked the wen page, the 2nd application had already been there for couple weeks. I finished and turned it in shortly afterwards, and still no confirmation email until now.

Have u been checking the UCLA web page for your application status? I was under the same assumption that I got no 2nd application from them since there wasn't any emails from the school notifying my status. But when I checked the wen page, the 2nd application had already been there for couple weeks. I finished and turned it in shortly afterwards, and still no confirmation email until now.

Yep, just checked it today and nothing still. Thanks for the heads up though!

Add SLU and Medical College of Wisconsin.

I think those OOS publics were a waste.

You have too many high reaches. Who advised you for your list???

You may want to contact the admissions offices of those schools who have rejected you to find out why. Even when I got rejected everywhere, the rejections came much later in the season than September.

I agree with gyngyn. I assume you're a CA resident from all those CA schools, but they are some of the most competitive. Your GPA is high, but your MCAT is average if not low for some of them. You can certainly still add schools on AMCAS after you're verified!

You may want to contact the admissions offices of those schools who have rejected you to find out why. Even when I got rejected everywhere, the rejections came much later in the season than September.

I don't really agree with you. I have a pretty strong application and have one rejection so far from U of Wisconsin. Many schools reject early on, especially if you are OOS. I don't think that having four rejection is a red flag yet.

I also was complete fairly early and have only heard from IU, which is my IS school, and Wisconsin. I think you should give it some more time.

Add SLU and Medical College of Wisconsin.

I think those OOS publics were a waste.

You have too many high reaches. Who advised you for your list???

I may consider adding those. I'm a CA resident, so I figured that would help me a little bit for the CA schools. I guess it hasn't.

I agree with gyngyn. I assume you're a CA resident from all those CA schools, but they are some of the most competitive. Your GPA is high, but your MCAT is average if not low for some of them. You can certainly still add schools on AMCAS after you're verified!

Yes, I am a CA resident.

I don't really agree with you. I have a pretty strong application and have one rejection so far from U of Wisconsin. Many schools reject early on, especially if you are OOS. I don't think that having four rejection is a red flag yet.

I also was complete fairly early and have only heard from IU, which is my IS school, and Wisconsin. I think you should give it some more time.

If I don't hear back from any schools in the coming week, I will add a couple more schools. Hopefully it won't be too late, but a lot of people have been telling me that it's still early (and that I'm being neurotic :scared:)

It's a good start for a list, but you definitely need more OOS schools. A lot of the schools on your list have MCAT scores above yours and all California schools are anything but a "sure thing" no matter what your stats are.

Have you thought about adding Tufts or Georgetown? I know Georgetown gets a lot of apps, but out of 11,000 only something like 7,000 actually complete the secondary so in reality it isn't that many more than other schools. Creighton might also be a good idea. In general look for schools with non-rolling admissions or schools that haven't interviewed yet.

I'm a CA resident, so I figured that would help me a little bit for the CA schools. I guess it hasn't.

Unless you're a URM, I'm not sure that a MCAT 31 is very competitive for UC's and Keck.

There's a reason why so many Calif applicants end up OOS. Many have respectable stats like yours, but w/o a hook of some sort, getting into a UC SOM can be nearly impossible. Calif just doesn't have enough seats for most of its quaified candidates. And, the state (seems) to have a large number of high scoring MCAT students.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ agreeing with all others. The worst time to be a California resident is applying to med school. Short of schools like UCD we get no in state preference and even if we do, there's so many applicants that it's just as hard as being OOS. We monopolize the general applicant pool across the nation by a ridiculous amount, so if you're a solid applicant with nothing that stands out...welll...there's hundreds more where that came from. :laugh:

I would love to stay in CA too, but at this point...I'm just shooting for the western half. :laugh: :laugh:

Unless you're a URM, I'm not sure that a MCAT 31 is very competitive for UC's and Keck.

There's a reason why so many Calif applicants end up OOS. Many have respectable stats like yours, but w/o a hook of some sort, getting into a UC SOM can be nearly impossible. Calif just doesn't have enough seats for most of its quaified candidates. And, the state (seems) to have a large number of high scoring MCAT students.

I do have a couple of unique clinical based extracurricular activities that I was hoping sets me apart from a lot of applicants.

That 31 really did me in =_=

Keck also tends to emphasize mcat scores a bit more than some of the other schools that are known to do a more holistic view of your application :D

+1.

UWisc rejects crazy early if you don't fit their in state/regional ties criteria. I was way above all their metrics when I applied last year and got rejected in September; my cycle turned out fine. I should've known better than to apply in the first place, but you can't take it personally in a case like theirs.

+1.

UWisc rejects crazy early if you don't fit their in state/regional ties criteria. I was way above all their metrics when I applied last year and got rejected in September; my cycle turned out fine. I should've known better than to apply in the first place, but you can't take it personally in a case like theirs.

For their OOS students, they're not just looking for students with the numbers though, esp since they interview so few out of their large pool. Current students I met have said they're more looking for students that would be a good "fit" with the program's goals.

I have no ties, but a strong emphasis on social issues, primary care and working with underserved communities, which aligns with a lot of their programs/curriculum. My stats are avg/below avg for the school but I got an II and am not URM.

It's important to find the schools that fit you as a person, not just the ones that fit your applicant profile!

For their OOS students, they're not just looking for students with the numbers though, esp since they interview so few out of their large pool. Current students I met have said they're more looking for students that would be a good "fit" with the program's goals.

I have no ties, but a strong emphasis on social issues, primary care and working with underserved communities, which aligns with a lot of their programs/curriculum. My stats are avg/below avg for the school but I got an II and am not URM.

It's important to find the schools that fit you as a person, not just the ones that fit your applicant profile!

That's definitely true as well. In retrospect I think I could've done a better job at being careful about more mission based schools since that wasn't a strength of my app. At that point though I was already burned out and just throwing schools on there. ;)

I've been browsing through the MSAR once again, and here are some schools I am thinking about adding to my list:

SLU
Tufts
Medical College of Wisconsin

Last edited:
These schools don't make much sense b/c:

Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine - jesuit school
New York University - mcat too low
Northwestern - mcat too low
Rush Medical College - very few OOS interviewees
University of California, San Diego - mcat too low
University of Michigan Medical School - mcat too low

consider:

MCW
Tulane
Tufts
Wake Forest
Hofstra
Oakland
GW
Jefferson
Temple
Rochester

consider:

MCW
Tulane
Tufts
Wake Forest
Hofstra
Oakland
GW
Jefferson
Temple
Rochester

Aren't ~40% of Rush interviewees and matriculants OOS?

From the Rush admissions page, 219 out of 382 interviewees were OOS (57%).

From the Rush admissions page, 219 out of 382 interviewees were OOS (57%).

They only interviewed 170/6255 OOS applicants whereas they interviewed 202/1446 IS applicants according to msar. 170 is a pretty low OOS interview number when they're getting 6000+ apps imo

consider:

MCW
Tulane
Tufts
Wake Forest
Hofstra
Oakland
GW
Jefferson
Temple
Rochester

Yeah I agree with you regarding the schools that didn't make sense. When I applied, I was thinking that maybe my GPA and my extracurriculars could make up for my low MCAT score. I applied to UCSD because I was a UCSD undergraduate and thought to myself "why not?"

For now I'm adding:

MCW, Wake Forest, and SLU

Have you been checking your Drexel status? Mine changed and they never emailed me about it.

Have you been checking your Drexel status? Mine changed and they never emailed me about it.

Yes, I did. I got this response "Thank you for your application. Your file has been reviewed by a member of our Admissions Committee. While we have decided not invite you for an interview at this time, we would like to re-evaluate your application again in the spring should interview spots remain. We have many completed applications to review and wish to hold on a final decision on your application until later in the cycle. Again, thank you for your interest in Drexel College of Medicine."

SLU is also Jesuit. Tulane, while not Jesuit, also cares about volunteerism. If you have significant volunteering experience, go for it.

What is wrong with it being Jesuit?

What is wrong with it being Jesuit?

I think people are pointing out that Jesuit schools care more about volunteerism on your application. I don't think not being Jesuit reduces your chances at all though - it seems like most of the Jesuit schools I looked into have religious accommodations for everyone and I doubt the majority of the student body of so many medical schools is Jesuit.

Yes, I wanted to say that Jesuit schools tend to like applicants with volunteer experience, hence why I also grouped Tulane with them as well. Not being a catholic/Jesuit won't hurt your application at all.

Although they do seem to like people from Jesuit undergrads, but that could just be that those undergrad also emphasize service.

I think not being Jesuit does hurt your chances slightly. I'm not religious and I haven't gotten a single II from any of the 4 Jesuit schools I applied to. However, I've gotten 13 other IIs from other schools, both higher and lower ranked than my Jesuit schools.

Also early applicant, haven't heard anything except a pre sec rej . My stats are backwards -low GPA with explanation , high mcat > 37. 3rd cycle. Couldn't get an smp, 2 said need more clinical not smp, been doing that. I don't have Tufts or MCW on my list -- any ideas for a low GPA/ high mcat combo?? Any suggestions ...can't do this again. Don't know if I can get a similar or higher MCAT this far out of school ..

Also early applicant, haven't heard anything except a pre sec rej . My stats are backwards -low GPA with explanation , high mcat > 37. 3rd cycle. Couldn't get an smp, 2 said need more clinical not smp, been doing that. I don't have Tufts or MCW on my list -- any ideas for a low GPA/ high mcat combo?? Any suggestions ...can't do this again. Don't know if I can get a similar or higher MCAT this far out of school ..

The only school I know that values MCAT more than GPA is USC (I think ~3.6 GPA but something like >34 for MCAT). There might be others though!

Last edited:
The only school I know that values MCAT more than GPA is USC (I think ~3.6 GPA but something like >34 for MCAT). There might be others though!

Basically all the top 10s that are research focused :laugh:. (Example: pritzker)

I think not being Jesuit does hurt your chances slightly. I'm not religious and I haven't gotten a single II from any of the 4 Jesuit schools I applied to. However, I've gotten 13 other IIs from other schools, both higher and lower ranked than my Jesuit schools.

I applied to Loyola and had no idea it was Jesuit til a couple days ago. I'm not Jesuit (I read this was something only men could be, is that just historically?) or Catholic, but I was surprised and grateful to receive an II from them. I have a low-ish mcat score, but an unusually high number of volunteer hours and experiences, so maybe people are on to something with the idea that Jesuit schools highly value community service.

I applied to Loyola and had no idea it was Jesuit til a couple days ago. I'm not Jesuit (I read this was something only men could be, is that just historically?) or Catholic, but I was surprised and grateful to receive an II from them. I have a low-ish mcat score, but an unusually high number of volunteer hours and experiences, so maybe people are on to something with the idea that Jesuit schools highly value community service.

Yup! Pretty much all the schools have the same mission too (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cura_personalis)

Jesuit is not a religion. It is a religious order within the Catholic church. And yes, it is male only.

Many schools were founded or run by Jesuits due to the philosophies of the order. Most no longer have a strong preference for religious applicants, but community service is another value that is very important to their philosophy, so those schools may screen for that particularly heavily.

I'm not religious but attended a Jesuit undergrad. Two II from the four Jesuit schools already, along with Tulane and five other places. The fact that I'm not catholic didn't seem to hurt.

I'm not religious but attended a Jesuit undergrad. Two II from the four Jesuit schools already, along with Tulane and five other places. The fact that I'm not catholic didn't seem to hurt.

This most likely helped too. I'm not religious, have no religious affiliations, and have not done any mission trips. I do have a ton of clinical and community volunteering though (600+ hours total).

Basically all the top 10s that are research focused :laugh:. (Example: pritzker)

Well, its the GPA issue, not low enough supposedly to need a SMP, not high enough on its own , I am guessing.

Well, its the GPA issue, not low enough supposedly to need a SMP, not high enough on its own , I am guessing.

If you follow past threads and this years', there are folks with 3.8+ but "low MCATs" like 33 getting rejected, but more with 3.5s and 37s getting interviews. It's just an anecdotal/cursory glance at the true complexity of the selection process though :p

EVMS is friendly to OOS applicants, especially California residents. On my interview day there were 2 people from California. It's really expensive for OOS applicants, but your stats put you in great shape.

If you follow past threads and this years', there are folks with 3.8+ but "low MCATs" like 33 getting rejected, but more with 3.5s and 37s getting interviews. It's just an anecdotal/cursory glance at the true complexity of the selection process though :p

I have been following x 2 yrs now... I just wish someone could tell me how / what to fix and how. Teachers probably fed up writing my LORs.. .. cant keep doing this and don't know what else to do. Took GRE just for fun--- 99 percentile there .. dont know what to do with it ... this is so frustrating :(

EVMS is friendly to OOS applicants, especially California residents. On my interview day there were 2 people from California. It's really expensive for OOS applicants, but your stats put you in great shape.

I am not from California. Have applied to wv and vcu . Is it too late to do a sec??

I think people are pointing out that Jesuit schools care more about volunteerism on your application. I don't think not being Jesuit reduces your chances at all though - it seems like most of the Jesuit schools I looked into have religious accommodations for everyone and I doubt the majority of the student body of so many medical schools is Jesuit.

You can't "be Jesuit" unless you are a priest. It's a religious order, not a religion.

Ohio schools are also very friendly to OOS applicants (tons of CA students in our classes), so you might want to look there too if you are still trying to add schools

EDIT- friendly as in accepting a lot and being rather inexpensive (in state tuition after 1 yr)

consider:

MCW
Tulane
Tufts
Wake Forest
Hofstra
Oakland
GW
Jefferson
Temple
Rochester

Good suggestions. I heard that Jefferson seems to be a pseudo private school though because they give a preference for Pennsylvania residents despite being private.

Also, maybe add Creighton since they care less about the MCAT and more about volunteering.

Keck also tends to emphasize mcat scores a bit more than some of the other schools that are known to do a more holistic view of your application :D

Seems that way. Rejected, and most likely due to my MCAT score.

Yes, I did. I got this response "Thank you for your application. Your file has been reviewed by a member of our Admissions Committee. While we have decided not invite you for an interview at this time, we would like to re-evaluate your application again in the spring should interview spots remain. We have many completed applications to review and wish to hold on a final decision on your application until later in the cycle. Again, thank you for your interest in Drexel College of Medicine."

Got the same thing. :( Supposedly its a rejection since the likelihood of them returning to look at your app is slim.

Drexel does not email status updates...you need to check yourself. I remember reading that somewhere and noting it, that is why I periodically checked it.