This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandyads

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All (looking for actually advise/experience, not a list),

I am currently in a one-year, 37-credit SMP at a new DO school (3rd cycle coming up) in Texas. I had moved to the area due to a military partner and was hoping to pursue medical education again after 3 years out of school. I found out the medical school I was interested in had a master's program and I thought it would be a great opportunity to boost my GPA and give me time to improve my MCAT. I had never applied to any medical school before due to my low MCAT scores:

September 2014 | 20
June 2016 | 493
August 2018 | 497
January 2019 | 504

Unfortunately, I didn't know what an SMP was at the time and definitely didn't know that this master's program was going to be such a risk. Now, being in the program (at a brand new medical school)... I find that I am struggling to the extreme. Interesting enough is that I don't feel like it's the content (apart from anatomy) - it's more so the disorganization and instability of the program. Either way, I'd be lucky to end the program with a 3.5 GPA, with one C in anatomy from the first semester (3.14 GPA) and currently trying to avoid another C in neuroanatomy.

The medical school I'm currently under seems to know how difficult their SMP is, but my fear is that other schools would have expected a much higher GPA with the understanding that an SMP should "set students up for success." Now I'm afraid I've made the wrong decision and really want to be realistic when I plan to apply broadly May of this year. I've currently been post-interview waitlisted by the school I currently attend. Crazy thing is that I probably would've had a better chance of acceptance into their medical school if I hadn't started their program. Their c/o 2018 stats are: cGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.44, and MCAT 502.

Majority of my applications will go out to HBCU (Historically Black University - I am a Black female) allopathic medical schools and osteopathic medical schools. My alma mater is Howard University, so that would really be my top choice. My second choice is the DO school I’m at now (which believes a 3.5 GPA in their program is doing well). I don't think the type of medical schools I want to attend are extremely far out of my reach, but there are so many different factors at play now with this darn SMP.

GPA as calculated by AACOMAS:
Baccalaureate 3.24
Post-Baccalaureate 3.78
Cumulative Undergraduate 3.29

Baccalaureate Science 3.38
Post-Baccalaureate Science 3.72
Cumulative Undergraduate Science 3.43

GPA from 1st semester SMP (not reported in time for AACOMAS)
Graduate 3.14
Graduate Science 2.93

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have 44 credit hours of a 2.596 GPA from an early college high school. Unfortunately, I have to report these grades and it significantly impacts my GPA. I'm not sure if medical schools will even bother noticing this, but I make sure to call attention to it in my letter of intent/supplemental material (NOT in my personal statement). Any advice on this particular struggle would be beyond helpful! This was from when I was 14-17 years old. I am 25-26 now - yes, it is incredibly painful. I just Google'd that Texas has a "Fresh Start Program" for classes taken over 10 years ago. Does anyone know of any similar programs nationwide?

Let me know what you think and if you have any advice. Be honest, but don’t troll. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi mandyads,

Is the SMP you are currently attending the Incarnate Word MBS program? I saw you had posted on a forum for the 2018-2019 MBS cycle.

I actually just completed my application for the MBS program and thought it would be a great way to boost my GPA and to get " my foot in the door" at Incarnate Word but now I am definitely having second thoughts!!!

I was wondering if you might be willing to talk with me about the program? After reading this post, I am really nervous and don't know If I should even consider doing this anymore. I would really appreciate getting some advice about the program if you feel comfortable!

You enrolled in an SMP and didn’t know what it was? Lol hmmm.
Generally SMP’s are a way for you to show you can actually complete medical school. Low MCAT and low GPA in the SMP may be an indication that maybe you’re not academically ready. Definitely not trying to discourage, just the way I see it. Maybe go back to the drawing board and have an honest assessment.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it sounds really crazy, but think about it... For someone who has never heard of an "SMP," I thought it was an accelerated master's program under a medical school. Of course, it's not advertised as an SMP. It advertised for exactly what I thought it was. It wasn't until people in my program began to use the phrase "SMP" that I asked about what that meant... it was then that the "SMP" world was unlocked. I would have never enrolled in a program like an SMP unless I hand real knowledge about its outcomes, being that it can make or break you. It seems that many of my colleagues joined this program for very different reasons that I did. I thought I was a decent candidate (outside of my high school courses). My intent was to take the program to get back in to the school grove and accomplish something as I worked on other things in my life and application. My colleagues came to the program specifically to increase their GPAs.

At this point, I am constantly having honest assessments with myself but I am in the "so close, so far stage." Since being waitlisted, I've been told that I am very close to crossing onto the accepted side if I show I've been able to improve my academic performance. Fortunately, I am a strong candidate for the school with only my performance in the SMP causing hesitation. My director and each of my professors went to bat for me, saying that I was a strong candidate for the school despite my grades. I feel as though I must have a chance at doing this, so I can't decide whether to go back to the drawing board or keeping pushing for a breakthrough. There are many personal factors that attribute to my performance that some of them are aware of, but that's not really SDN's business. It's not an issue of whether I can handle the academic load - we'll just say that.

I think that you stand a chance at new DO schools as an URM. 504 is a decent enough MCAT score, although that sub 3.0 GPA will certainly hurt you.

I think the big mistake was the SMP. A smarter Idea would have been to just take a couple higher level science courses at undergrad level and Ace those. This SMP performance shows empirically you cant really handle the academic rigor of medical school.

I would also consider Podiatry and Optometry schools in case DO school doesnt pan out. I really cant see a MD school acceptance unless you retook the MCAT and crushed it (510+) or did another SMP and crushed that.

One big issue is that you have been at this Medical School "game" since 2014 and havent yielded any fruitful results. Its been 5 years with nothing but debt to show for it. Sometimes, the writing is on the wall and the smartest thing to do is go plan B. The MCAT improved after the 4th time, but you dont usually get 4 chances on boards.

Not all doom and gloom, but it doesnt look great either. If this were me, I would parley my experiences into applying to Podiatry or Optometry school why applying to MD/DO so you have a backup. You can still be a "doctor" just of feet and eyes!

Good luck, PM me if have questions about Podiatry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think that you stand a chance at new DO schools as an URM. 504 is a decent enough MCAT score, although that sub 3.0 GPA will certainly hurt you.

I think the big mistake was the SMP. A smarter Idea would have been to just take a couple higher level science courses at undergrad level and Ace those. This SMP performance shows empirically you cant really handle the academic rigor of medical school.

I would also consider Podiatry and Optometry schools in case DO school doesnt pan out. I really cant see a MD school acceptance unless you retook the MCAT and crushed it (510+) or did another SMP and crushed that.

One big issue is that you have been at this Medical School "game" since 2014 and havent yielded any fruitful results. Its been 5 years with nothing but debt to show for it. Sometimes, the writing is on the wall and the smartest thing to do is go plan B. The MCAT improved after the 4th time, but you dont usually get 4 chances on boards.

Not all doom and gloom, but it doesnt look great either. If this were me, I would parley my experiences into applying to Podiatry or Optometry school why applying to MD/DO so you have a backup. You can still be a "doctor" just of feet and eyes!

Good luck, PM me if have questions about Podiatry.
I wish I had applied to medical school before attending this program. This is the one and only school I've ever applied to and it was because they gave us SMP students a special window. I did myself a disservice by joining the program before ever trying and then continuing in the program thinking I could escape their shenanigans. I appreciate your advice.

I know it’s not what you wanted to hear, but it’s good to take the hard look.

Like I said, I think you could still get into a medical school if you target very broadly and very low. Being a URM really helps and the MCAT perseverance is a good story. But that grad GPA is a big fat black mark on a otherwise pretty borderline application.

You could spend another 5+ years pursuing this “dream” to no end. Or you could get into a school after another 2 years of a masters program. Only you can decide if it’s worth it to keep going, but the sunk cost fallacy is a real thing. The “so close yet so far” theme gets lots of gamblers into trouble.

On the plus side, there are a few professional schools that still allow one to become a “doctor”. As mentioned before, Podiatry and Optometry are excellent alternatives. Your MCAT will help with the low grad GPA for Pod school and if you get a High OAT, I could see lots of the newer OD schools taking a chance on you.

Your dream of being a doctor doesn’t have to die, but it might have to change and adapt to stay alive.

Good luck and I hope this helps. If this were me, I’d see if I could tolerate feet or eyes.

I wish I had applied to medical school before attending this program. This is the one and only school I've ever applied to and it was because they gave us SMP students a special window. I did myself a disservice by joining the program before ever trying and then continuing in the program thinking I could escape their shenanigans. I appreciate your advice.