Early career guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExternalUse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I graduated last year and currently work in the industry doing software development. I've interned as a developer while in school and made a lot of friends. Upon graduation, they hired me full-time, where I worked as a software developer for about a year. Recently received a promotion geared towards management. The pay is great, everyone is excited for the "beginning" of my new life.

Typical work day still involves coding, although my personality pushes towards management. My managers have always been astonished by my work, mainly because I worked my butt to show off. I thought this would get me higher recognition, but soon realized there will always be more work to do regardless of how fast I finished a project. Rarely do I get to interact with people outside of my scope, making my job dull. Not to mention being behind a computer coding 5+ hours a day is rather boring.

Since I am at the start of my career, the pay checks coming in each month are freaking awesome. I've never had this kind of money at my disposal while growing up / in college. From speaking with elders, it seems as though this feeling will pass. There will come a time where this spree ends. Money is great now, but come 10 years when money is not an issue, how will things be?

Ever since sophmore year of college I've wanted to switch tracks to medical, but decided not to. Finished my engineering degree, for safety. At this point, my friends suggest that I get an MBA and try to move into business management. They say the pay is somewhat better but this does have risks associated with them. Due to the fact I have a purely technical background with little management skills, it'll be hard to land a good job.

I have thought about a medical degree, mainly because of the job satisfaction. As an engineer I can not directly help people, or see the fruits of my labor. Whereas if I were to pursue this career change, I would be able to help the poor in my country by volunteering my time. This kind of help brings great satisfaction. My uncle is a doctor and I know it is hard work. He sometimes works random long hours, but truly enjoys what he does.

So here I am, asking for some advice on this career change. I will seek some sort of graduate degree, whether it be an MBA or MD. Which I am still uncertain, but would like your advice. Maybe this dislike of my current work is just a phase that all new hires feel...

uGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.6

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are in the very beginning stages of considering a medical career. Start by gathering information before you make any big decisions. Try talking to friends or family that are physicians-your uncle is a good start. Ask the tough questions, what do they like, dislike, wish they could change, etc... Maybe pick up a volunteer shift at a hospital a few hours a week. Do things that will acquaint you with the medical field and the answer will present itself. The good news is that, as an older non-trad, you know yourself-use that self-awareness and listen to your spidey sense to guide your decision making :)

It sounds like you are in the very beginning stages of considering a medical career. Start by gathering information before you make any big decisions. Try talking to friends or family that are physicians-your uncle is a good start. Ask the tough questions, what do they like, dislike, wish they could change, etc... Maybe pick up a volunteer shift at a hospital a few hours a week. Do things that will acquaint you with the medical field and the answer will present itself. The good news is that, as an older non-trad, you know yourself-use that self-awareness and listen to your spidey sense to guide your decision making :)

Good advice, I've asked my uncle before and he's told me to get an MBA and make more money. He doesn't seem very happy! Although my aunt just finished residency and says she loves her work, even though she doesn't have a "strict" schedule or shifts yet.

PS: Your avatar is great... my friend said the MCATS were a breeze and that's exactly what I told him haha