Easiest class to hardest class in undergrad!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Easiest: cardiophys

Hardest: biochem, not so much the material but the amount of work our prof made us put in lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Easiest: Nutrition
Hardest: Formal Language and Automata Theory

Easiest: Physics I (Mechanics)
Hardest: Analytical Chemistry
Second hardest but favorite: Physical Chemistry - took it without having taken the linear algebra prereq, got completely wrecked for several problem sets until I learned it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My hardest class was by far Physics I. I had no idea what was going on. That was my second and last B. Genetics was also extreme. I studied an insane amount for it.

Easiest course was Calc II and Molecular Bio. These courses were senior year post-MCAT so my algebra skills were already really good and my Bio content was at its highest.

Easiest: Nutrition
Hardest: Formal Language and Automata Theory

God bless you. That class sounds like some character from a fantasy novel. I never heard the word automata in my life.

Ok, I looked it up and I just grew the beard I always wanted. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
hardest:
science course- ochem 1.. just because it is unlike anything else you've ever learned and you have to learn a new approach to study for it. by ochem 2 you already know what works for you and what to expect so it's better.
non science- english lit... only because no one has time to read 4+ books ontop of their full class schedule.

easiest:
science course- bio 1. If you took any higher level bios in high school, you have such a solid starting point.
non science- national government. If you've been in school in US your whole life, you have learned most of this by now especially in your high school government class.

God bless you. That class sounds like some character from a fantasy novel. I never heard the word automata in my life.

If you want to grow a beard:

1. Hammer a nail.
2. Smell some wood.
3. Repair a leaky faucet.
4. Plant some vegetables.
5. Change your motor oil yourself.
6. Build a fence or a chair, something that inevitably involves 1 and 2.
7. Take home the ugliest girl at the bar.
8. Get rid of your cat if you have one. Get a dog if you don't already have one.
9. If you already did 8, take your dog running on the beach or in the woods - pavement is for Lance Armstrong wannabe pansies.
10. Become a urologist. They are the epitome of Mens Health.

Yeah... That class was a piece of work... I remembered that one of my classmates said these are the type of classes that got people crazy when they try to understand them....a big fat C in my transcript. There are some classes you just have to try to pass them and move on.

Last edited:
Easiest - Ochem and Physics
Hardest - Diff Eq, Discrete Signals, Quantum

What about the funnest class? Mine is probably a tie between Operating System Design and Microprocessors.

easiest: Music of the People: Rock and Pop
hardest: Organic II

Easiest: Bio 2 (super awesome teacher)
Hardest: Basic Ceramics. I'm not quite sure why my university's ceramics department was so crazy but I often spent 20+ hours in labs outside of class to finish my projects.

Easiest: Ochem 2

Hardest: Endocrinology

I swear, once you understand an electron, everything in chemistry falls right into place without fail. Unfortunately it took me until my 4th semester of chemistry to really grasp it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easiest: Random neuroscience classes

Hardest: Biochemistry II (the format of the exams made it almost impossible to prepare for IMO... :wtf:)

Easiest: Japanese 1 -> I really liked the material, though, so studying was fun. I think that is why it was so easy.

Hardest: Human Biochemistry and Disease -> The two professors that taught it adapted it from their previous classes at med schools, but also one of my absolute favorite classes!

Easiest class: Art History when in community college. No hw, or projects, barely had to go to class (just go the day before the test and she gave you all the hints), gave a study guide for each test that took about 2-3 hours to memorize. 4 tests, I got a 100% on every test lmao, so easy.

Hardest: Ochem2 and Biochem had TONS of material (though not conceptually terrible). Physics 2 was the most conceptually difficult, any class that involved writing was usually my bane ;/

Easiest: Elementary Portuguese
Toughest: Classical and Manuscript Japanese

Easiest: Elementary Portuguese
Toughest: Classical and Manuscript Japanese

Ayy, my Japanese teacher said that Classical Japanese was harder for him than even learning English. I can only imagine.

Ayy, my Japanese teacher said that Classical Japanese was harder for him than even learning English. I can only imagine.

I was literally learning the how to read some dude's handwriting form something written over 700 years ago, then trying to translate that into modern Japanese, then English. On top of that, it was a crash course in what would likely be three or four semesters of history courses, since there was huge learning curve in trying to catch all the cultural/historical references to translate it properly so that I could actually use it for my thesis. It was an incredibly fascinating class, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it again.

Bio I was crazy hard for me too......Gymnosperms and Angiosperms? Zygomycota? Platyhelminthes? WHAT?

I just could never get in to the plant and insect stuff. Too much information that I never cared about or felt like it would be vital to my future.

I just could never get in to the plant and insect stuff. Too much information that I never cared about or felt like it would be vital to my future.
Exact same reasons I hated it haha! I just finished Bio II, which is Molecular/Cellular Biology at my school(quarter system), and I found the material to be absolutely fascinating. I learned it a lot better too because I realized that the stuff we were covering was actually relevant to the medical field. I think perceived difficulty of a class can be directly correlated with the interest level of the student.

Easiest: Genetics
Hardest: Chem 2 (I don't know why but I was freaking dumb as a post in this class, I had to retake it and the second time wasn't any easier, ochem was waaay better)

Easiest - Calc-based Physics I/II
Hardest - Bio I (by grade), Quantum Mechanics/Physical Chemistry (by difficulty of material)

I think that anyone who took this class will agree with me without a doubt..... philosophy! Really interesting as well.
re my intro to philosophy classes: I had a freaking terrible professor. I still had an A with no real effort of studying or anything, but the professor thought that it was appropriate to spend most of the class talking about the Matrix (because of parallels to plato's allegory of the cave) and the rest making it clear that only people who believed in god could be moral because there's no reason to behave if there's no one watching you. We had an out-of-class meeting where we talked about The Hollow Man (because of course what is there to talk about in philosophy other than recent movies?) and he and the teacher's pet both said that if they were invisible they would steal stuff and otherwise do terrible things all the time because they could never get caught. My atheist friend and I both just looked at them side-eyed. I mean sure, I'd pick my nose a lot more often, and never wear clothes, but that's about it...

Anyway, in the end, my friend said this in the teacher evaluation "This was one of the easiest A's I've ever earned, unless you consider listening to this man blather on day after day as part of the hardship of the class, in which case this was one of the most miserably painful A's I've ever earned in my life."

Lots of times it just comes down to the prof.

Incidentally, my easiest class would be either Opera or Symbolic Logic (another philosophy class) and hardest would be either Consolidated Calculus or Quantitative Physiology (also probably the best class I had, but it was a really big class with lots of work and a lab at like 5 on Friday night)

ETA: "Consolidated calculus" (calc I/II crammed into one semester for people who have AB credit but not BC credit from high school - you can skip Calc I altogether if you want, but they suggested we take this class, which does nothing but take time away from Calc II which is way harder than Calc I) was among my hardest classes - not just because the shortened time in which to learn Calc II, but also because the professor had a thick accent. It took the entire class about 6 weeks before realizing that word he kept saying was "derivative"

Last edited:
Easiest: divinations

Hardest: potions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Easiest: divinations

Hardest: potions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aa2bcf8b6383f6c428ecf6bf5c7fc1cb.jpg

Ok, just one more and I'm done.
4f050a2ad6ce693a0fea9f625e9d3672.600x.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I think that anyone who took this class will agree with me without a doubt..... philosophy! Really interesting as well.
I imagine you took an introductory philosophy class, perhaps on political philosophy or ethics. Basically something that is easily digestible and has mass-market appeal for the folks just wanting to take an easy class for graduation requirements. Believe me, philosophy classes can get very, very complex and intricate. Philosophy also involves a broad range of topics from religious studies to psychology to computer science.

Hardest class: Either Kantian metaphysics, or Biochemistry II
Easiest class: Intro to world politics.

Easiest class: gen chem I

Hardest class: tie between respiratory, renal, and cardiovascular physiology; and channels, synapses, and hormones

Easiest: any science course since i graduated with a degree in biology and minor in chemistry with a 4.0 sGPA
Hardest: psychology 102 (2nd semester of basic intro to psychology) which gave me my first and only B :wtf:(go figure!)

Easiest: French 1
Hardest: Comparative Politics of South Asia. Poly sci major, this one was a huge pain in the butt. Teacher really made us feel like getting a B+ was an honor.

Science courses went like this: Gen chem 1 & 2 < Physics 1 < Orgo 1 < Physics 2 < Orgo 2 < Bio 1 & 2

Easiest: Physics
Hardest: BME Design

Last edited:
Easiest: Basketball or maybe oceanography

Hardest/What I struggled most in: Gen Chem 2

Easiest class: any intro class or med school prerequisite

Hardest class: any upper level class for my math major

I encourage other med students/seniors to do this: plot your GPA by semester in excel.

I did much better as my semester standing went up. My only B was in Biology 100 my freshman year :rofl:

Easiest: English, music appreciation
Hardest: Ochem

Easiest: general chem. ohhhh yaaaaa. my jam.

Hardest: Physics 2. A class of terrible firsts.

Easiest science: bio 1
Hardest science: cancer Biology and immunology