Easiest Major in college?

Hermeneutics

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the easiest major in college that someone can get a 4.0 and then not have to worry about school but be able to focus on research, MCAT, other stuff. I understand that this is a subjective question but there also is an objective component or shall I see a general consensus. Obviously, physics is harder than biology. No one will argue the contrary. So, im wondering what in your opinion is the easiest major, not for medical school, but for getting a 4.0 that won't look bad to medical school and is a reasonable major (unlike basket weaving for example).

Members don't see this ad.

Business, sociology, psychology, exercise kinesiology, criminal justice, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends a lot on the person. Obviously, most people are going to say that majoring in chemistry is harder than majoring in Spanish, but someone with a very chemistry-oriented mind might find learning another language to such a level that you have to read literature and write literary analyses much harder.

You'll probably find the consensus that you're looking for that majors in liberal arts are easier than ones in natural sciences which are easier than ones in physical sciences which are easier than ones in engineering (or however the order goes). But keep in mind that 1) the 'easiness' of a major it depends highly on who you are and what you're good at, 2) you shouldn't pick a major by how you think it will look to medical schools (I switched to Spanish and I don't give a damn if adcoms don't think it's a 'reasonable major,' though I doubt that will happen) and 3) you shouldn't choose a major that you deem to be easy, but rather one that you will enjoy. You'll be spending 4 years of your life studying what you choose before medical school. Don't get so caught up in the competition aspect of getting into medical school that you spend four years of your life studying something that bores you to tears and/or makes you miserable.

In short, study what you like and, who knows, maybe you'll end up deciding medicine isn't for you and that you'd be happier doing something else, which wouldn't be the end of the world like some people think. Just me two cents. Good luck with everything.

I agree with the above. But you should also try to choose a practical major too. For instance, I graduated with a degree in biology and psychology. Not overly difficult, and also something I was interested in. The problem arose when I was scouring the job market in my off year while re applying to med school. I realized that to make any decent living (and by that I mean actually make my degrees useful and not a waste) I would generally need at least a masters, a PhD or some other type of certification to get a lot of jobs. Otherwise, I might as well have just looked for stuff straight out of hs and never went to college.

So yeah, definitely do what you want/like and the good grades will come, but just be aware that some majors have way better job prospects than others.

25727255.gif

I seriously wonder if anyone knows what the search bar is for. I can't even imagine how many times I have seen this thread or some version of it posted.

Anyway, it depends. For example, most view an art major as an easy task, but I would have the toughest time because my only art skill is in drawing stick people. A person's skills and interests have a major influence.

Now, my advice (notice how I'm trying to make this stick out for everyone): PICK YOUR MAJOR BASED ON ITS RELEVANCE AND YOUR INTEREST IN IT, NOT ON WHETHER IT WILL BE GOOD FOR MED SCHOOL ADMISSION BOARDS.

Business, sociology, psychology, exercise kinesiology, criminal justice, etc.

Pretty much, though you're basically going to be double majoring and might have erratic semesters trying to accommodate both your prereqs/upper levels with major classes. I know I had constantly to put off interesting classes in the psych major like neuroethology, neural systems, cognitive neuroscience because my prereqs conflicted with them.

Communications, hospitality, parks and recreation.

Don't choose something based on "easiness", choose something based on your interests. If you choose business because it's "easy" (which isn't true by the way) but you don't like business, you've kind of dug yourself into a hole. Also, my father (who's on a premed committee) says the medical schools actually weight majors in terms of difficulty. In other words, a person with a 3.9 in Chemistry is better off than their counterpart with a 3.9 in Business. Med schools are really good at being able to tell if someone takes classes because it's their passion or because they wanted to take the easy route. Take whatever interests you, given that you are applying to medical school I assume that is some kind of science. Majors like Biology, Psychology, or Chemistry will benefit you when it comes to the MCAT. I personally recommend Chemistry. :) Physics is also good but a lot harder.

Communications, hospitality, parks and recreation.

Medical schools won't accept someone with a degree in parks and recreation or any other low tier majors. Unless the applicant can supply good reasons why they went for the worlds easiest major. It's a myth that medical schools don't care what your major is. People with physics majors are getting in before people with communications majors.

So should one major in something that is easy to keep high gpa like Psych or should one major in a subject of interest like math or chemistry since they like it more than Psych??

Members don't see this ad :)
Just because a major is "easy" doesn't mean you'll get a 4.0 in it. Ethnic studies or lit classes may not have the same intellectual rigor as physics, but the grading can be really subjective sometimes. When you know the material in a science class well enough to work out all of the problems, you know you'll get an A. When you're in lit, you can have the material down perfectly, but still get a horrible grade if the grader has a problem with your writing style or if their views are really different from yours. I sweat a lot less over my science classes than my liberal arts classes because I feel like I have more control over my grade in science.

Women's Studies. Easy A and you get to take classes filled with gorgeous women.

Nah, just kidding. Those classes are filled with murderous Feminazis that want the male gender extinct.

The easiest major will be one you enjoy and are interested in. I found physics and math far easier than biology and sociology.

It depends entirely on the person, for instance chemistry and calculus are much easier for me than literature. It's all up to you, do what you want but don't necessarily settle for the easiest route. Chose a major you like, do your pre-reqs, and take additional science courses (and, of course, try your best in them).

Women's Studies. Easy A and you get to take classes filled with gorgeous women.

Nah, just kidding. Those classes are filled with murderous Feminazis that want the male gender extinct.

Well not really, it's more a depressing subject and founded in a borderline ridiculous paradigm of study that fails to neither analysis and acknowledge biological or historical/anthropologic etiologies of behavior.

When I took a psych of women class the teacher truly denied the application of any ethology, neuroethology, behavioral endocrinology, and other dimorphisms between the sexes and taught trying to make us all believe women and men are the same and that the construct of gender was purely arbitrary with bioanthropological circumstances influencing its development :rolleyes:.

Anyway, the course was easy but I hated going to it every day.

Why do people keep asking for easy majors here? Does no one care about having fun and liking what they learn in college? "Easy" classes can get so terrible if you don't like what they're about. Don't make yourself miserable if you could have classes that are fun for you and might help you later in life, just in case professional school doesn't work out. If you hate your major in college, how much are you gonna hate the jobs you would later get with that degree?

Pick what you enjoy and master it. So much better for your grades and sanity.

What is the easiest major in college that someone can get a 4.0 and then not have to worry about school but be able to focus on research, MCAT, other stuff. I understand that this is a subjective question but there also is an objective component or shall I see a general consensus. Obviously, physics is harder than biology. No one will argue the contrary. So, im wondering what in your opinion is the easiest major, not for medical school, but for getting a 4.0 that won't look bad to medical school and is a reasonable major (unlike basket weaving for example).

I know people who think physics is way easier than bio.

Easiest major by far is Alcohol.

Psychology majors all seem to have A's...

That being said, I do advise against deliberately seeking out a lowest common denominator major.

Pick something that interests you and offers at least some challenge. Med school is going to be a 4 year academic marathon, so you'll want to pick something in college that will at least get your brain jogging a little. A deconditioned mind won't do well in the race.

There's always the Bachelor of Fine Art (BFA) in Art History. I've heard some colleges have students, usually athletes, majoring in exercise science.

I'm gonna have to go with the majority vote and claim that no major is universally recognized as the easiest, but there are some that require less effort than others.

There's always the Bachelor of Fine Art (BFA) in Art History. I've heard some colleges have students, usually athletes, majoring in exercise science.

I'm gonna have to go with the majority vote and claim that no major is universally recognized as the easiest, but there are some that require less effort than others.

I disagree, I doubt most of these premeds can appreciate basic culture, for them to actually critically analyze and then write 20 page papers on it as a major? I don't think so. Exercise Science however is easy, in majority jocks major in it and the bar is set low.

I disagree, I doubt most of these premeds can appreciate basic culture, for them to actually critically analyze and then write 20 page papers on it as a major? I don't think so. Exercise Science however is easy, in majority jocks major in it and the bar is set low.

Fair enough. I enjoyed my classes in ASL, Deaf Studies and Chicano Studies. I'm actually considering a major in Cultural Anthropology. I enjoy cultural studies and wish to utilize that knowledge as a physician.

IMO easiest major for premed is going to be different than easiest major. I guess something like comm is the easiest overall, but a premed track makes majoring in comm plus the prereq's harder than most non science/engineering degrees, so maybe it's better to do something like biology where you can get a degree with the premed courses relatively easily without racking up tons of credit hours.

Geology may be one to consider as well. I don't think it's an overly hard major and it's actually a decent field if you need to work for a couple years before med school.

Medical schools won't accept someone with a degree in parks and recreation or any other low tier majors. Unless the applicant can supply good reasons why they went for the worlds easiest major. It's a myth that medical schools don't care what your major is. People with physics majors are getting in before people with communications majors.

LOL. Come back when you know something about applying to professional school.