EDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am going out on a limb here. Could OxyContin be a factor in this poor patient's bike accident? Hmmmmm.

the article is a perfect example of how certain forces - big Pharma, etc. - try to twist available evidence to suit their viewpoint. a reason why nonbiased viewpoints need to be maintained, assisted not by touchy feel good ideology but by things such as non-biased EBM.

for example, the article misinterprets the fact that 75% of kids get drugs from others (ie parents/grandparents) and not via their own prescriptions. from the article's standpoint, the kids never got the script, so prescribing narcotics is not the problem. the problem lies within the abuser and focus should be entirely on them.

yet we know that individuals who do not have access to drugs - obviously - cant abuse. from my standpoint, teenagers in the house is a contraindication towards prescribing for adult patients, and safe storage of medications is a prime focus of treatment for those who do get prescribed. yes, this is one of those "policies" the article complains about.

Members don't see this ad :)
What a crappy article. Just for the heck of it I fact checked one claim: went to the data tables referenced under " 75% of kids get their pills from sources other than a doctors Rx". The data tables tell a very different story. Not surprised. Too bad the average reader has no idea how to evaluate the accuracy of a reference.

Most pain claimed due to EDS - as with most claimed due to CRPS - is actually due to intercurrent mental illness & secondary gain.

If you are prescribing opioids for this Dx your medical board needs to pay you a visit.