Effect of late primary submittal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajnak182

MCATretaker4life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, after procrastinating like the bum I am, I'm finally ready to submit my AMCAS. My question is, how large of a disadvantage have I created for myself at this point? I've heard on numerous occasions the importance of submitting early. Due to my inability to listen to such good advice, I still submitted late. Does anyone know if it makes that substantial of an effect to submit this late in the game?

AJ

Members don't see this ad.

It's not that late in the game...don't worry. People still have to take the August MCAT, which will delay processing of applications. AMCAS is due at most medical schools by oct 15 at the latest, with secondaries due betwen then and around december...so don't worry...yet

ajnak182 said:
So, after procrastinating like the bum I am, I'm finally ready to submit my AMCAS. My question is, how large of a disadvantage have I created for myself at this point? I've heard on numerous occasions the importance of submitting early. Due to my inability to listen to such good advice, I still submitted late. Does anyone know if it makes that substantial of an effect to submit this late in the game?

AJ

Don't worry about a thing. As long as you beat the rush that will occur in the few days following the MCAT, you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Word on the street is that as long as your AMCAS is verified by the end of August, you won't be at much (if at all) of a disadvantage. Besides, even if you were, no one would be able to tell you how much of a disadvantage you'd be at. Just get your secondaries in as soon as you can ;) :thumbup:

As long as you MCAT scores are already in, I think you will be OK. If you have to wait for the August scores you might not interview till December or January. By then you are at a little disadvantage, but then it really depends on your scores. If you have great stats, it wont hurt, but if they are mediocre, even if you interview well, they might only have spots on the waitlist. I think your best bet is to call each school up and ask how full the class will be by the time you interview. You have to figure out how long it will take for your file to be completed and reviewed before you will be able to set up an interview. Once you know how full the class is by then, you can decide whether to apply there or not. Good Luck getting everything in.