Effect of step 1 red flag on fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rambocharlie21

Reaction score
I am an IMG with a attempt in my step 1 pass / fail . Matched this year in IM . STEP 2 - 270.
Will work rigorously to make my CV good and will focus on more research work .
Will my step 2 and step 3 scores , reserch work and hardwork during residency cover up my step 1 attempt during fellowship application?

Members don't see this ad.

u ll be filtered by almost all programs. u need extraordinary cv n ref by mentors to get interviews even

u ll be filtered by almost all programs. u need extraordinary cv n ref by mentors to get interviews even
They use attempt as a filter in fellowship / just scores in steps?
My dad Had MI just 2 weeks ahead of my step 1 exam . I did explained this part in my residency interview. Currently I am in an university program.

Members don't see this ad :)
correct, it is part of the filters. me and my friend applied sam time. he had far better CV than mine, yet he got only 2 IVs. he had attempt on step 3.

I think one of the most important things is to not lose hope while also being prepared that you may be filtered out. You have a very compelling story and reason for your not passing step I. That is how I would frame it, “not passing.” You have not failed at anything. If this is something you want to pursue you can definitely try, but be prepared that it might be a long journey. You may not match 1-2-3 times. You may have to do a hepatology or IBD fellowship. When you apply you will need to have a reason they look for your application from the filtered pile - amazing letters, writers who are willing to call your programs for you, and networking outside of your program where physicians know you from other programs. And you may still not match. If you are prepared for that, you will be fine. Because no matter what, you will be a doctor and have a solid salary and a good mission in life. Just don’t make your life “GI or nothing.”

I think one of the most important things is to not lose hope while also being prepared that you may be filtered out. You have a very compelling story and reason for your not passing step I. That is how I would frame it, “not passing.” You have not failed at anything. If this is something you want to pursue you can definitely try, but be prepared that it might be a long journey. You may not match 1-2-3 times. You may have to do a hepatology or IBD fellowship. When you apply you will need to have a reason they look for your application from the filtered pile - amazing letters, writers who are willing to call your programs for you, and networking outside of your program where physicians know you from other programs. And you may still not match. If you are prepared for that, you will be fine. Because no matter what, you will be a doctor and have a solid salary and a good mission in life. Just don’t make your life “GI or nothing.”
My target is endocrinology

My target is endocrinology

Oh! You posted under Gastroenterology! Well the bar is lower for endocrinology so you definitely have a good chance of matching in your first attempt!

Status
Not open for further replies.