Official 2022-2023 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm probably over stressing this, but how many words are people's personal statements?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm probably over stressing this, but how many words are people's personal statements?
Look over the print preview in ERAS. Do not exceed a page. No one is reading that. Most applicants will get their points across in that time. Take a few extra lines if you absolutely must but limit to this, however many words

Members don't see this ad :)
question for adding non-ACGME fellowships to ERAS CV - do these go under work experiences?

does anyone know if there is a centralized location that shows how many spots a program is offering? some program websites don't share that info.

ERAS Question: Where are you all listing pending posters? Under publications? E.g: I have a poster submitted for ACG. I don't see a place under posters to indicate it is submitted, not yet accepted. Are you not listing pending posters? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Technically the poster is an abstract right? So it could go under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)" ? I just placed my upcoming posters there and under publication name section I wrote ACG 2022.
What do you think guys?

should you put abstracts submitted to conference but not accepted? where do you put this? i don't think you can put it under peer reviewed bc it's not?? right?

I am in need of your feedback, please!!. I applied last year and did not get in. US MD (STEP 1 237, S2 -220, S32020), decent mid-tier IM program, 6 abstracts. I have not added much to my application since the last cycle. Should I apply broadly again this cycle or apply directly to non-acgme fellowships in hepatology, IBD, motility, etc...?

I am in need of your feedback, please!!. I applied last year and did not get in. US MD (STEP 1 237, S2 -220, S32020), decent mid-tier IM program, 6 abstracts. I have not added much to my application since the last cycle. Should I apply broadly again this cycle or apply directly to non-acgme fellowships in hepatology, IBD, motility, etc...?

Both

What are my chances?
Should I still apply broadly? Or reasonable to skip the top 25% programs?
It's gonna be a less financial burden, but I keep telling myself, who knows, the miracle may happen and match to a big name!!

US citizen. IMG.
Mid-tier University residency program in Mid West.
253, 230, CS Pass, and 232.
GI fellowship in-house.
Last DDW: 1 oral presentation and 1 poster.
Last EASL: 1 poster (3rd author).
Upcoming ACG: Submitting 10 abstracts (7 first author, 3 are case reports and 1 is a QI).
Upcoming AASLD: Submitting 3 (1 first author, 2-second author).
Manuscripts: 1 endocrine before residency (4th author) and 2 submitted (Under review).
4 letters, 1 IM PD, 1 GI PD, 1 GI APD, and 1 GI chair (Mostly I will replace it with a fresh GI faculty that I worked with him very closely).

What are my chances?
Should I still apply broadly? Or reasonable to skip the top 25% programs?
It's gonna be a less financial burden, but I keep telling myself, who knows, the miracle may happen and match to a big name!!

US citizen. IMG.
Mid-tier University residency program in Mid West.
253, 230, CS Pass, and 232.
GI fellowship in-house.
Last DDW: 1 oral presentation and 1 poster.
Last EASL: 1 poster (3rd author).
Upcoming ACG: Submitting 10 abstracts (7 first author, 3 are case reports and 1 is a QI).
Upcoming AASLD: Submitting 3 (1 first author, 2-second author).
Manuscripts: 1 endocrine before residency (4th author) and 2 submitted (Under review).
4 letters, 1 IM PD, 1 GI PD, 1 GI APD, and 1 GI chair (Mostly I will replace it with a fresh GI faculty that I worked with him very closely).
apply top 25 too

Members don't see this ad :)
My program recommends maximum of 4 LoR per program and checking how many are requested in each program. I saw many programs request three. Is it best practice to upload three to those programs and not go over?

Are three letters from GI faculty okay along with PD letter? Or do you have to have one from IM faculty as well

Can anyone tell me where to list abstracts submitted to ACG 2022 in ERAS? The closest I see is "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published);" this would imply it was a journal however. Any thoughts?

I thought we just put abstracts that were posters (and also published in the supplement) as poster presentations? That's what I did. Those supplements are not peer-reviewed

Can anyone tell me where to list abstracts submitted to ACG 2022 in ERAS? The closest I see is "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published);" this would imply it was a journal however. Any thoughts?
can someone please answer!!!!!!!!!!

Conservative wisdom is that submitted pubs go in research experience. Beyond that, it’s all creative listing and subject to risk. Some people may not care others perhaps may, becomes somewhat luck of the draw.

For those who care, I called ACG today and they unfortunately report abstract acceptance notifications go out on July 22. Why they time it this way seems unfortunate.

Can anyone advise regarding GI programs that sponsor H1B visa ?

Can anyone advise regarding GI programs that sponsor H1B visa ?

There is no official list, you will need to look this up yourself and go program by program.

Conservative wisdom is that submitted pubs go in research experience. Beyond that, it’s all creative listing and subject to risk. Some people may not care others perhaps may, becomes somewhat luck of the draw.

For those who care, I called ACG today and they unfortunately report abstract acceptance notifications go out on July 22. Why they time it this way seems unfortunate.
For submitted pubs, I think it should go in the "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)" and select the "Submitted" button, and includes abstracts as well. It seems like thats why that section was created.

For the second part, I think the way ACG reports abstracts out on July 22nd is reasonable and fine for all applying, and almost seems intentional for ACG to help applicants. Better than July 1st-19th, because then you submit your application with the submitted abstracts (see above) without feeling like you're lying.

For submitted pubs, I think it should go in the "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)" and select the "Submitted" button, and includes abstracts as well. It seems like thats why that section was created.

For the second part, I think the way ACG reports abstracts out on July 22nd is reasonable and fine for all applying, and almost seems intentional for ACG to help applicants. Better than July 1st-19th, because then you submit your application with the submitted abstracts (see above) without feeling like you're lying.

As mentioned, your suggestion on how to list this is a reasonable approach within the realm of creative listings. We should be clear, however, The Peer Reviewed Abstracts and Journals (Other than published) section was created for peer reviewed submissions (which ACG is not), you can tell this because not only is it in the name, but it also asks what journal (not conference) it is submitted to. I stand by my statement that the conservative wisdom is to place it in research experience, now there are those whom are less conservative (as I also mentioned) and may be inclined to list it the way you suggest which is a more “creative” solution. Many folks won’t have a problem with this, some may, it ultimately will come down to some amount of luck of the draw. I don’t think it’s wrong to list it the way you suggest, but I think it’s fair to say there is some inherent risk in doing it that way, whether that risk is acceptable or not to you, is up to the individual, just calling it like I see it.

Regarding your take on ACG abstract time, I disagree. While you may be right in that it is intentionally delayed, ultimately by not knowing if it’s accepted or not, it just dilutes the value of everyone’s work. If you do good research you should have nothing to worry about regarding getting accepted to ACG. If it’s not accepted by app time it’s harder to differentiate yourself as being someone that does quality work, vs just putting their name on anything with 2500 characters to be able to say I “submitted.”

Anyways, it is what it is.

Best of luck.

Has anyone tried to submit, but the payment time out? I've tried two different browsers with no luck.

So do programs really start reviewing on July 20? Asking as there's a chance PD letter won't be processed by then.

The ACG, AASLD, and AGA/DDW abstract get published in a supplemental portion of the journals, so yes you can add them to that section but I am pretty sure every PD sees right through it as a way to buff up numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys, where do you place abstracts submitted for poster presentation in ACG 2022?

Do you place them under 1- Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published) or 2- Poster Presentation ???

If you are pending adjustment of status (EAD) how do you share this with programs ?

Does anyone know how uploading a late PD letter could affect app? I plan to submit before it's uploaded/processed. Letter should be available a few days after July 20th.

1. Are incomplete files typically screened out without being seen or do programs give some grace?
2. Can I update my app, with this one letter after submission?
3. Does submitting 4-5 days late make a huge difference?

I know this might sound neurotic, but I'm really just trying to decide if to submit before July 20, or wait a couple more days for a complete application.

Hello all, I have a question about the ERAS application. Are you all mentioning the conference abstracts in both the publication section and the poster/oral presentation section? If there is a paper in which you are a co-author, but the paper was presented by one of your colleagues, in which section are you adding that on ERAS?

Hello all, I have a question about the ERAS application. Are you all mentioning the conference abstracts in both the publication section and the poster/oral presentation section? If there is a paper in which you are a co-author, but the paper was presented by one of your colleagues, in which section are you adding that on ERAS?

I would not, I would just put conference abstracts in the poster/oral presentation section. Not fooling anyone with the published in supplemental section of xyz journal, generally seen as padding.

So, I know this comes up every year but are y'all just sending 4 letters to all programs? Do I really have to check every single program to see if they want 3 vs 4 letters? Like, will it look bad if I send 4 to a program whose website says 3 letters? I just really don't want to check over 100 program websites...

So, I know this comes up every year but are y'all just sending 4 letters to all programs? Do I really have to check every single program to see if they want 3 vs 4 letters? Like, will it look bad if I send 4 to a program whose website says 3 letters? I just really don't want to check over 100 program websites...
for residency I sent 4 letters to all programs and it was fine. I imagine it's not a big deal, but they'll probably randomly choose which ones end up being read.

A little late - but thoughts on my app?

US citizen, MD

Step1 - 245
Step2 - 275
Top 5 IM program in South
3 LOR - 2 GI faculty (including nationally recognized hepatologist), 1 PD

1 case report, 1 oral presentation, 1 ACG abstract

I'll be straight up. I got kids, including 1 we had during residency. Extracurriculars and knocking it out of the park with research was never realistic for me. I did the best with what I had.

Hello Hello! Its feeling like that time of year, once again. I'll be applying for the first time with the rest of you and figured now is as good of a time as any to give the people what they want.

Feel free to post your stats and the inevitable
"what are my chances" questions as well as info on programs, interviews the gambit. I'm posting last years excel sheet, but think we should make a concerted effort to update it this year to increase the sample size.

Best of luck to all of you.

CURRENT {2022-23) GI Cycle App Spreadsheet

LAST YEAR'S (2021-22) GI Cycle App Spreadsheet
can we open a whats app group ?

Reactions: 5 users
Is it really worth it to email each and every program on the abstracts accepted to ACG 2022? I feel like it would bombard every program with mass emails ( and not sure how much of a difference it will make by adding 2-4 more abstracts... )

Is it really worth it to email each and every program on the abstracts accepted to ACG 2022? I feel like it would bombard every program with mass emails ( and not sure how much of a difference it will make by adding 2-4 more abstracts... )
I have a fair amount of abstracts that got accepted but I dont think emailing every single program would worth it. Trying to see the whole issue from
GI PD’s position. Probably I wouldn’t like every applicant emailing me that their abstracts were accepted.
You can always update the programs during your interview.
However, what if a pending publication gets accepted?

I would love to listen other applicants’ opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
If you listed it on your app as "submitted" I recommend doing nothing, discuss in your interview. You now have something new to share. It's very unlikely that some program is going to change their decision based upon a single pub.

If you didn't list it as submitted and it's an abstract / poster at a meeting - same deal. Another abstract not going to make a difference. Good to keep for discussion in your interviews.

If you didn't list it as submitted and it's a full pub that's not a case report, depends on the journal / topic / subject. If you get a 1st author article in a huge journal, then I'd probably update them with that. But that is going to be very rare.

My 2 cents. That and $1.85 will get you a Tall coffee at Starbucks.

Reactions: 3 users
If you listed it on your app as "submitted" I recommend doing nothing, discuss in your interview. You now have something new to share. It's very unlikely that some program is going to change their decision based upon a single pub.

If you didn't list it as submitted and it's an abstract / poster at a meeting - same deal. Another abstract not going to make a difference. Good to keep for discussion in your interviews.

If you didn't list it as submitted and it's a full pub that's not a case report, depends on the journal / topic / subject. If you get a 1st author article in a huge journal, then I'd probably update them with that. But that is going to be very rare.

My 2 cents. That and $1.85 will get you a Tall coffee at Starbucks.
Thank you very much. I was also thinking of just speaking about it during interviews like you suggested. I did put it as "submitted" in my application.

Hi hi! I feel it's my lucky day to find this place! Here is my package. Would love to hear your thoughts regarding my chances.

Background: IMG, from a community-based residency program, need H1b
Scores
: Step1 250, Step 2 245, and Step 3 219. 1st attempts.
Publications: 12 Manuscripts, 5 as the leading author (first or last/corresponding), mostly GI-related database analysis. 1 GIE and 1 Chest. 5 submitted manuscripts, including a major revision with Gastro.
Conferences: ~30 DDW, ACG, and AASLD posters.
LoRs: 4 letters. 1 IM PD, 1 GI former PD, 1 GI attending, and 1 IM director (from where I'm working for J-1 waiver).
Experiences: MSc in basic medical science and 1 year of clinical research training at top universities. Reviewer of IM journals. Member of ACG/AGA/ACP.

Applied to all programs that do not specify "not sponsoring H1b" on their websites.
Best of luck, everyone!

Hi hi! I feel it's my lucky day to find this place! Here is my package. Would love to hear your thoughts regarding my chances.

Background: IMG, from a community-based residency program, need H1b
Scores
: Step1 250, Step 2 245, and Step 3 219. 1st attempts.
Publications: 12 Manuscripts, 5 as the leading author (first or last/corresponding), mostly GI-related database analysis. 1 GIE and 1 Chest. 5 submitted manuscripts, including a major revision with Gastro.
Conferences: ~30 DDW, ACG, and AASLD posters.
LoRs: 4 letters. 1 IM PD, 1 GI former PD, 1 GI attending, and 1 IM director (from where I'm working for J-1 waiver).
Experiences: MSc in basic medical science and 1 year of clinical research training at top universities. Reviewer of IM journals. Member of ACG/AGA/ACP.

Applied to all programs that do not specify "not sponsoring H1b" on their websites.
Best of luck, everyone!
I think you have an exceptional profile. I am 100% sure that if you had J1 you would match no matter what. However I know that H1B is much more difficult to get and most probably you are applying to strong institutions.

Very strong research, but residency program matters and coming from a community program plus H1b is going to make things challenging. Wishing you luck in being able to surmount it.