"Eleventh Hour" interest in pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pickle_Rick

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year DO student who has recently developed an interest in the field of pathology. Many medical students, especially DOs like myself, have very little exposure to the field of pathology in any real capacity. The classes that interested me the most involved learning the principles and mechanisms of tissue and human body's reactions to injury and the various expressions of these reactions. Yet, my lack of exposure to the field of pathology, dearth of info/resources, and a strong emphasis of my college to produce primary care clinicians---> I am currently applying to IM residencies (AOA only).

I am interested in securing a residency position in pathology. I have researched a few options on this:

Option (A): Start the IM intern year and apply for pathology spot next cycle
- Provides continued training (i.e. avoids gaps)
- Provides salary and benefits
- Sets me back a year since pathology has no intern requirements
Option (B): Register for NRMP and plan to scramble into an unfilled pathology spot
- I've researched that as many as 10-15%(more?) spots go unfilled each cycle
- Risk considering that I may not get one of the unfilled pathology spots
Option (C): Do a research/fellowship year and reapply next cycle
- I've found several post-sophmore fellowships in pathology programs
- Consider contacting these programs to see if the would allow a medical school graduate into their PSF program
- Sets me back a year, but will receive stipend and needed pathology exposure

Any advice or feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

Pickle Rick

Members don't see this ad.

Of the three, I prefer Option A.

Option B is very high risk, particularly for a DO. The presumption will be that you did not match and are just saying you want pathology like so many unsuccessful applicants.

Option C raises the red flag of "Why didn't you match last year?" Plus, you start your pathology training on the same time line and the cash flow goes the wrong direction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not apply now in ERAS to targeted pathology programs and see if you can get a last-minute interview for this cycle? Programs still have interview dates into January which is when many cancellations occur. That seems like it’s worth a try...

Reactions: 1 user
Anecdotal experience: I've seen several AMGs scramble into pathology spots who did not match into other specialties.

However, I would try what wilderness said. It can't hurt.

I would apply to path programs now, see if you can get some interview. If not try to scramble which you should be able too. If not I would recommend doing a TRI so you can get some clinical training and can use your elective time in path. TRIs are not hard to obtain post acgme match for DOs.

I’d apply to path programs now, see if you can get some interviews, if not see if you can scramble into a path program. If that fails there’s an infinite amount of TRIs which you can do next year.
I'm a 4th year DO student who has recently developed an interest in the field of pathology. Many medical students, especially DOs like myself, have very little exposure to the field of pathology in any real capacity. The classes that interested me the most involved learning the principles and mechanisms of tissue and human body's reactions to injury and the various expressions of these reactions. Yet, my lack of exposure to the field of pathology, dearth of info/resources, and a strong emphasis of my college to produce primary care clinicians---> I am currently applying to IM residencies (AOA only).

I am interested in securing a residency position in pathology. I have researched a few options on this:

Option (B): Register for NRMP and plan to scramble into an unfilled pathology spot
- Consider contacting these programs to see if the would allow a medical school graduate into their PSF program

Thanks,

Pickle Rick

At this point, you may think that a year is a lot of time, but when you finish all of your training, a year doesn't matter. IMO having an extra year of training in another specialty will make you a stronger physician along as the program doesn't have a lot of scutwork. In addition, you may be able to stay in the same hospital for pathology residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Flee Pathology Now! This field is for peons and lemmings who like to take orders from and have profits skimmed by individuals with 20-30 IQ points lower. There is zero job security and very little leverage.

Option A. Applying now raises a question of “will this guy/gal flake out and change their mind 2-3 months in?” Get exposure to assuage this fear. Plus a year of IM is often seen as beneficial in the eyes of PDs (though what possible benefit it has is arguably negligible unless you’re going to be a bloodbanker or FP...).

Are many DO docs required or encouraged to do a clinical year? The couple DO's I remember from residency had all done a clinical year before starting residency.

Anything but B! Some of those places that have to scramble are less desirable. Not worth it just to save a year.

Thanks,

Pickle Rick

Option B: Apply to programs now, send an short email to each program director at programs you are interested in attending. Be genuine and concise, 4-5 sentences explaining your situation/late application and interest.

Example:
Dear Dr. ___
My name is ___ and I have applied to train at your program because...
I recently discovered by interest for pathology that was a welcome surprise.
While I realize that my application is late and may be overlooked, I hope that this email will convey my genuine interest in pathology.
I would greatly appreciate your consideration.
Sincerely,
Interested Med student.

Are many DO docs required or encouraged to do a clinical year? The couple DO's I remember from residency had all done a clinical year before starting residency.
It’s not required but allot of DOs get introduced to path later on in Med School/residency.

Not last year their were some great programs in the soap.

Great programs is relative. You might get great training but may be unreasonably overworked. Just saying that as someone who interviewed at places considered good programs but got less than great vibes from the residents. This is really just my opinion, though. It's probably hard to sort out and get a feel for a program when you're scrambling and not even visiting the site.