EM at UT Southwestern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyperbaric

Cool under pressure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll have a small popcorn, easy on the butter. And a medium Sprite. Gracias.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason everyone is making jokes about wanting to watch this thread Maxpain is that the program's PD is an SDN EM regular. In short, it is a great program, and you will find very few (if any) within the profession of emergency medicine who would crititize the program to any significant degree. You will find even fewer critics of it here.

- H

I din't know this- I knew Tech's PD is on here frequently, but not Parkland's...

What is his screen name?

The reason everyone is making jokes about wanting to watch this thread Maxpain is that the program's PD is an SDN EM regular. In short, it is a great program, and you will find very few (if any) within the profession of emergency medicine who would crititize the program to any significant degree. You will find even fewer critics of it here.

- H

Alright, well, thanks for clearing it up. I was baffled as to what all the drama was about, as I thought it was a pretty straight-forward question. Anyway, I was just thinkin of doing an elective there next year just to see how it is and maybe apply for residency. I've just heard good things about the program at Southwestern and wanted to get both sides.

On a separate note, how competitive is the program? ie. what board scores/clinical grades are they looking for? Does doing an elective there help increase your chances of matching at the program? I'd really appreciate it if someone could perhaps shed some light on this.

Alright, well, thanks for clearing it up. I was baffled as to what all the drama was about, as I thought it was a pretty straight-forward question. Anyway, I was just thinkin of doing an elective there next year just to see how it is and maybe apply for residency. I've just heard good things about the program at Southwestern and wanted to get both sides.

On a separate note, how competitive is the program? ie. what board scores/clinical grades are they looking for? Does doing an elective there help increase your chances of matching at the program? I'd really appreciate it if someone could perhaps shed some light on this.

A great perfomance during a rotation will definitely help your chances. I think this is probably true of most programs, but is even more a factor here.
As for the board scores/grades question- Don't get hungup on numbers- try to perform as well as possible. In EM, LOR's and rotation performances go much further in an application than in many other residencies. No one can accurately answer what programs are more stringent in their selection criteria, so expect more sarcastic coments from certain posters when asking this question. Again, if you have specific questions about the program, feel free to PM me.
C

What do you consider a great performance? Thanks!

There has been a lot of discussion as to how to perform well on a away/audition rotation on this board. Do a quick search and read some of the other poster's input as I don't claim to be an expert.

That being said, the point of the rotation is to see if you and the program are a match. Show up early, stay late, work hard, meet as many people associated with the residency as possible, have a plan for dispo when presenting to attendings, ask questions, and be courteous and polite to EVERYONE. It sounds like common sense and it is!
C

ooh, I'm interested - I'll take those sour watermelon thingies since I won't be applying to these programs for a few years...

I graduated from the EM program at Parkland and cannot say enough good things about it. I would definitely choose the program again and recommend it to anyone interested in a busy county based program with alot of hands on experience (procedures etc). As far as the PD being a SDN regular, I don't believe that to be true, but would be happy if it were.

Yeah, my bad. I was confuded as to which program is which. The Texas Tech PD frequents here.

- H

Yeah, my bad. I was confuded as to which program is which. The Texas Tech PD frequents here.

- H
yeah, your bad. Don't be confusing me with my first trainee. ;)

yeah, your bad. Don't be confusing me with my first trainee. ;)

I didn't know you trained him! :eek::D

O.k., o.k., what do you want from me? All those Texas places are the same anyway, right!?! :laugh:

- H

shhhhh, some places in texas won't like hearing that. :smuggrin::laugh:

O.k., o.k., what do you want from me? All those Texas places are the same anyway, right!?! :laugh:

- H

As I was sitting here sharpening my sword and preparing for a rampage, I realized you live in Minnesota and your brain is likely frozen over. I'll cut you a little slack.

Once. :)

Take care,
Jeff

BTW, if you get down this way, I'll show you why Central Texas is clearly the best part of our great state.

So, I was looking for a 'sharpening sword' icon for my previous post when I came across this one. Doesn't really fit this context but I couldn't help myself.

:beat:

I just love that. he he he.

I'm so easily amused.

Take care,
Jeff

FWIW, I work with about 5 docs who went through that program. All of them have had nothing but good things to say about it (and they're very good docs as well). I also know and work with some of the attendings. They've always been nice and are very good teachers. :thumbup:

So I submitted my rank list today, and was wondering if there is anyone else in my shoes.

1. UTSW in Dallas
2. Carolinas
3. UNC
4. Wake Forest

I am so glad I will never be asked "why emergency medicine", "what are my weaknesses", "tell me about yourself", "what challenges have you had to face", "have you ever had any problem patients", "how do you deal with them"

Thats an interesting list...big difference b/t programs 1 and 2-4. Anyway, they are all pretty great programs in their own right. My own list looked similar with the exception of UTSW. Just wasn't for me. Well, good luck, hope you get your #1.

So I submitted my rank list today, and was wondering if there is anyone else in my shoes.

1. UTSW in Dallas
2. Carolinas
3. UNC
4. Wake Forest

I am so glad I will never be asked "why emergency medicine", "what are my weaknesses", "tell me about yourself", "what challenges have you had to face", "have you ever had any problem patients", "how do you deal with them"

I'm just curious, did you you only rank/interview at those four programs or did you just post the top 4 of your list?

Yeah, I just posted my top 4 programs...
and I am aware that they are quite different, but I feel like each program fit me well for some reason or another