EM Docs can learn from the NFL Players Association

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlaminHotER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thomas Cook, MD titled his most recent EM News column, “Why Do EPs Feel Powerless?” The answer: most emergency physicians feel powerless because most EPs are professionally powerless.

Emergency physicians could use a playbook on how to regain power. Some argue that fighting the corporate practice of medicine is the right strategy for empowerment. The American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) has been battling non-physician ownership of EM practices since 1993. In that time, physician practice ownership rates have plummeted. When a strategy doesn’t work for thirty years, it is probably time to look for new ideas.

Hard as it is to believe, until the late twentieth century, pro football players were also relatively powerless. In the early years of the NFL, football players were not even guaranteed clean uniforms. Pro athletes were forced to play the preseason and exhibition games for free, risking career-ending injuries.

Tired of being taken advantage of, a group of players, including Don Shula and Frank Gifford, formed the NFL Players Association (NFLPA) in 1956. Every team except the Chicago Bears joined. Negotiating together, the players not only won clean uniforms but also received a salary minimum of $5,000 per season, $50 per exhibition game, and health insurance.

The NFLPA explains, “Legend has it that the NFL Players Association was born out of a simple demand: clean socks and jocks. Truth be told, pro football players wanted a little more than that when they formed the union in 1956; they wanted a voice.” As a result of a series of negotiations punctuated by strikes, lock-outs, and lawsuits, the players gradually gained more power.

By the 70s, free agency became players’ top priority. Owners were not incentivized to pay players fairly without the risk of players leaving to work for another team. Because this arrangement was so profitable for owners, negotiations over free agency were unsuccessful.

The NFLPA then turned to the courts. In a landmark case, Reggie White, representing all NFL players, led a class action lawsuit against the league to obtain free agency rights. On September 10, 1992, the federal court sided with the players, ruling that NFL restrictions on players changing teams violated antitrust laws. The impact was immediate; average NFL wages increased by 38% the following season.

How successful has the NFLPA been at empowering and protecting its union members? One answer is financial. As a result of the 2020 collective bargaining agreement, players are guaranteed at least 48% of league revenues. Teams are mandated to send a copy of every player's contract to the NFLPA to ensure compliance. In 2022, the NFL generated approximately $18.6 billion.

The Damar Hamlin case illustrates another answer. At 8:55 pm on Monday, January 2, 2023, Damar Hamlin, a Buffalo Bills safety, made what initially appeared to be a routine tackle of a Cincinnati Bengals player. As Hamlin stood up, he wobbled and then collapsed. Hamlin was pulseless.

The NFL’s emergency action plan was activated immediately. Within 10 seconds, CPR was initiated by Bills' team physicians and trainers. Hamlin was defibrillated on the field. Within five minutes, he was placed in an on-field ambulance and intubated. Hamlin was transported to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. After nine days in the hospital, Hamlin was discharged in good condition. He is back playing professional football with the Buffalo Bills.

The impressive resuscitation was no accident. The football game’s emergency action plan had been negotiated in detail by the NFLPA. The 2020 NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) is 456 pages long, including 70 pages about “players’ rights to medical care and treatment.”

The NFLPA’s Medical Director - currently emergency physician Thom Mayer, MD - is a voting member of all NFL health and safety committees. Additionally, the NFL has a Chief Medical Officer. Every team must have a designated orthopedic surgeon, a primary care sports medicine physician, and a neurologist. An emergency action plan is mandated for every team.

Per the CBA, “The parties shall jointly select an expert in the field of emergency medicine (the “EAP Expert”) to help them establish minimum standards, protocols, and a standardized format for an Emergency Action Plan (“EAP”) that shall be required to be submitted by every NFL Club to address player medical, cardiac and/or surgical emergencies that occur at games hosted at their home stadium, as well as at the practice facility (if different from the game day venue)... The parties (through the NFL Chief Medical Officer and the NFL Players Association Medical Director) must review all EAPs prior to the start of the season. The EAP requirements shall be published to every NFL Club prior to March 15 of each year to ensure that Club medical staffs have adequate notice of any changes.”

When most Americans think of unions, the UAW or the Teamsters come to mind. However, the NFLPA is more applicable to emergency medicine. Pro football players have a unique skill set that is highly valued by society. The industry is closely regulated. It cannot be exported or replaced by machines.

A key difference is that while football players were always “labor” working for a separate group of owner employers, physicians traditionally were both the workers and the owners. Now that most emergency physicians are “labor,” turning back the clock and regaining physician practice ownership at scale is unlikely. The NFL Players Association shows that through solidarity, collective bargaining, and professional excellence, a group of employed workers can gain impressive amounts of power while enabling their industry to thrive.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve long compared our careers to NFL players, but more so based upon brevity.

I see some potential, but would rather see us take back ownership than admit defeat heading the route of unionization as employees instead of owners. Sure, if ownership is lost then fighting collectively has merit. Not my first choice though.

Reactions: 1 user
Physicians are too selfish to unite like this. We eat our young and exploit.
Also we are bad at business, and too many of us are brainwashed to be altruistic.

Reactions: 8 users
I’ve long compared our careers to NFL players, but more so based upon brevity.

I see some potential, but would rather see us take back ownership than admit defeat heading the route of unionization as employees instead of owners. Sure, if ownership is lost then fighting collectively has merit. Not my first choice though.

unionization is a much more logical step

we will never take back ownership

maybe here and there on a local level at certain points in time and places

but the underlying part of your wish is that PE will just roll over and give us money, profits and safe staffing

Reasonably certain if we all somehow got together and formed a national physician union that would be incredibly powerful.

I'm also not a union fan but the kind of things that make people unionize is very much what is happening to us. If PE is here to stay, it's going to be the only viable way to have a seat at the table. When my TH masters go bankrupt my shackles will get transferred to a new master.

Reactions: 1 users
unionization is a much more logical step

we will never take back ownership

maybe here and there on a local level at certain points in time and places

but the underlying part of your wish is that PE will just roll over and give us money, profits and safe staffing

Reasonably certain if we all somehow got together and formed a national physician union that would be incredibly powerful.

I'm also not a union fan but the kind of things that make people unionize is very much what is happening to us. If PE is here to stay, it's going to be the only viable way to have a seat at the table. When my TH masters go bankrupt my shackles will get transferred to a new master.
Aside from the brainwashing and physician-physician exploitation issues discussed above, EM has issues because by and large the practice of EM has to take place inside hospitals which are not owned by the doctors.

Then again, perhaps the NFL analogy is better than it seems - because the NFL players also have to play for teams they don’t own, in huge expensive stadiums they don’t own either.

Most physicians are very invested in their public and self image as "selfless servants." Most are not willing to risk that up to take up a fight likely to get very ugly, to win what they deserve.

Last edited:
Highly trained individuals with a unique skill set responsible for the lives of large groups of people.

Up to 40% pay bump and improved sick leave. I think we, as physicians are still considered “managers” and not allowed to form unions. We are managers in the same sense that an airline pilot manages the aircraft and people in it for the time it is in the air, just like we manage the ER for the duration of our shift.

Highly trained individuals with a unique skill set responsible for the lives of large groups of people.

Up to 40% pay bump and improved sick leave. I think we, as physicians are still considered “managers” and not allowed to form unions. We are managers in the same sense that an airline pilot manages the aircraft and people in it for the time it is in the air, just like we manage the ER for the duration of our shift.
Employed physicians can unionize. PP “partners” etc can’t. The notion that physicians can’t unionize is something of a myth/ridiculous misconception, especially in the era where the vast majority of doctors are employed.

These ivy posts are so weird to me. He seems to blow with the winds.

Employed physicians can unionize. PP “partners” etc can’t. The notion that physicians can’t unionize is something of a myth/ridiculous misconception, especially in the era where the vast majority of doctors are employed.

Yep. If a bunch of owners band together (democratic groups, actual partnership situations, if you legitimately own a part of the business) then it's a cartel. So you can't get a bunch of different primary care groups or a bunch of GI doctors, or a bunch of independent surgeons to band together to stick it to the hospital or insurance companies.

On the other hand a bunch of physicians working as a W-2 employees or 1099 contractors certainly can. 1099 independent contractors have less protections. I'd also say it's likely that most physician 1099 independent contractors are actually misclassified as 1099. Of course if the employee and employer aren't complaining, it's unlikely that anyone is going to notice.

we can't form unions because the laws only afford union forming for employees of a company, and most of us are independent contractors of the hospital or CMGs.

I think the law has to change that would allow independent contractors to unionize, which sounds like of like a contradiction of sorts.

But overall yes I would unionize. Our working conditions suck and get worse each year over the decades that we practice. Not sure public relations will view it positively if we unionize, and we would better provide better care if we do and consider not blowing off nonsense complaints (which we should be doing).

Last edited:
Another reason doctors get pushed around? They are book smart and not street smart. We just believe whatever lie the admins might throw at us, and not being permitted to unionize is one of them.

Physicians who are employed can DEFINITELY form unions. Its certainly more complicated when it comes to private contractors. If you have a private contract, and essentially just practice there; meaning you do not answer to the administration... then you can not unionize. A group of private docs getting together is collusion, prevented by anti-trust laws, etc. But if employed:

"Physicians employed by a hospital or healthcare system CAN unionize as long as they are actual employees. Typically, this means being paid a salary reported on a W-2 form. Salaried doctors at public hospitals can also unionize."

Most of us won't though... because we have loans we need to pay, no intestinal fortitude; or most commonly because we "have a duty to the patient." Which we do.... and that is the shi**y part of this situation.

Even though the law says an employed physician can unionize.... guess what? The law also does not view a physician as an "employee" when it comes to liability for negligence torts. So even though you don't have any authority in managerial decisions there... you get to carry all the legal liability.

Bull****.

Its enlightening to discuss these issues with my friends that practice law. The vast majority of outcomes for civil court cases basically come down to whichever lawyer has the best argument and whatever the judge decides to interpret. They are bound to make these arguments/decisions in the context of precedent from prior cases... but that is not always there. And if the issues are never brought to court in the first place, then the precedent never gets set. So we end up in these situations where we are shouldering the cost while someone else reaps the profit.

The key is to find ways to collectively bargain without completely shirking your liability as a physician. One idea I've heard before is to continue to work.... but refuse to complete the documentation beyond the minimal necessary for clinical duty (i.e., the hospital can not bill... but the patient is taken care of)

Who’s thinking what I’m thinking ?

10,000 pilot shortage
10,000 projected EP surplus

Maybe the four year programs can start offering board eligibility plus a pilot license 🤣

Emergency physician ownership is a pipe dream to me. We don't own the patient panel, we don't own the rest of the hospital, and we can't practice without the support of a dozen other specialties. More importantly, we've already seen what happens when hundreds of small emergency medicine practices are set loose in a free market. What we own is the labor pool and the only way to use that effectively would be to unite under a national union.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Emergency physician ownership is a pipe dream to me. We don't own the patient panel, we don't own the rest of the hospital, and we can't practice without the support of a dozen other specialties. More importantly, we've already seen what happens when hundreds of small emergency medicine practices are set loose in a free market. What we own is the labor pool and the only way to use that effectively would be to unite under a national union.

agree