Compartment syndrome following NFL game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful22213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw in the news that a linebacker for the Vikings was taken the hospital for compartment syndrome in his right leg following their game yesterday. Sustained a "shin contusion" and played a few more snaps, then after the game his leg had dramatically swollen. He played less than 30 snaps which is light duty for a starting linebacker.

Obviously an NFL player does not represent a normal patient but I've never seen a contusion + modest exertion lead to immediate compartment syndrome. Wonder if there was a missed fracture? Some NFL reporters speculated about a return in two weeks which feels hard for me to believe following a fasciotomy.

Source: Vikings LB Jordan Hicks hospitalized after win over Saints, developed compartment syndrome in leg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Saw in the news that a linebacker for the Vikings was taken the hospital for compartment syndrome in his right leg following their game yesterday. Sustained a "shin contusion" and played a few more snaps, then after the game his leg had dramatically swollen. He played less than 30 snaps which is light duty for a starting linebacker.

Obviously an NFL player does not represent a normal patient but I've never seen a contusion + modest exertion lead to immediate compartment syndrome. Wonder if there was a missed fracture? Some NFL reporters speculated about a return in two weeks which feels hard for me to believe following a fasciotomy.

Source: Vikings LB Jordan Hicks hospitalized after win over Saints, developed compartment syndrome in leg
Fwiw: I have seen a patient who developed compartment syndrome in their legs (both) simply from playing soccer. No trauma beyond routine play. She said she knew someone else who it had happened to as well.

Reactions: 1 user