EM/FP Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moni1999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info. on the EM/FP combined programs? How competitive are these programs?
I know that there are a few osteopathic programs, but are there also any allopathic programs that offer these combined specialties?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are currently only 1 ACGME FP/EM program (Christiana Care in Delaware). Not sure if there are any new ones planned for the future.

There are 3 AOA FP/EM programs that participated in the AOA Match this year (2007). The DO Opportunities website list 5, but I think two of the programs (St Barnabas and Grandview) did not participate in the AOA match this year

The 3 DO programs are:
St James Hosp & Health Centers in Olympia Fields, IL
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital in Pontiac, MI
Frankford Hospital in Philadelphia, PA

According to the 2007 NRMP, Christiana had 2 spots but both went unmatched. According to the 2007 AOA match data, the 3 programs had 8 spots combined, and all 8 were filled through the match.

Hey I heard they were adding more osteopathic slots. I just checked the acofp res guide and this is what I found:

View Program # Residency Program Name State
View 130763 Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital Medical Center (POH) MI
View 126148 OUCOM/Grandview Hospital & Medical Center OH
View 126095 NYCOM/St. Barnabas Hospital NY
View 156903 MWU/CCOM/St. James Hospital & Health Centers IL
View 163911 Frankford Hospitals PA

I was talking to the res director for frankford at a res fair the other day and he said they just got approved to accept 4 residents per class now. NYCOM had a rep there and he said they take 2 residents a year there. I don't know anything about the other programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks folks for the info.!

I emailed the OH program and they are discontinuing their combined residency.

If you do EM/FM can you apply and recieve Health Service Corp scholarship?

If you do EM/FM can you apply and recieve Health Service Corp scholarship?

Can you get the scholarship = no.

Can you get your loans paid back AFTER residency if working in FM, sure.

They won't let you do a combined residency (they won't even let you do med-peds!:eek: ).

Can you get the scholarship = no.

Can you get your loans paid back AFTER residency if working in FM, sure.

They won't let you do a combined residency (they won't even let you do med-peds!:eek: ).

This year they are allowing med-peds and a few others (fm/im, etc).

check their site.

This year they are allowing med-peds and a few others (fm/im, etc).

check their site.

It's about time.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

You know what would be great...not sure they would allow it though. Do a FM/EM residency, work full time FM at a NHSC site so you can get loan reimbursement. Then work one overnight shift a week in the ED. Loans would be paid off fast that way, but I have the feeling the NHSC might not allow you to work outside of your primary contract with them.

Thats what I was thinking, do their minimum...say 36-50 hours a week and try to squeeze 10-20hrs working at a ER in a local hospital for some extra cheddar. They probably wont let you make a decent living though.