EM in Norfolk Vs Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife is applying for the fellowship match and it looks like I will likely be relocating next year. I am 1 year out of residency and currently working at a very high volume, high acuity (but high paying) ED in the southwest.

The top 3 locations on her list will be Norfolk Virginia, Chapel Hill NC, and LA.

I already know the job market in LA isn't great, but how about places within an hour drive from Norfolk or Chapel Hill? Anyone have a rough idea what a community job in those areas might be paying?

Match isn't until October. I guess I could always try to find a Locum job, or travel to some rural part of the country for a week every month if I don't find anything.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There's only 1 hospital in Chapel Hill proper - very tertiary care hospital. The residency program sends their residents to WakeMed in Raleigh for a lot of their time for community practice exposure.

Plenty of opportunities within 1-2 hours though -- the "Triangle" aka Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill being tougher than anything requiring more of a drive. Locums in the area $175-200/hr. If they're paying more... be afraid. Apollo has a few contract in the Raleigh area, Duke has a bunch in Durham/Raleigh and the WakeMed ED's both hospital and freestandings staffed by a group called WEPPA.

(no, i do not practice there, but have considered moving there)

Norfolk/ hampton roads has many hospitals ,the pay rates are difficult to compare as it is a mix of IC, employee and government jobs. I'd say average hourly rate for IC w/o benefits is 140_160. You get more as a partner but the groups that offer that have a sweat equity buy in of 2 years on average. Not as much as west Texas was paying a few years ago but it's a nice area with lots to do.

Cost of living is low to moderate depending on where you want to live , VA beach ocean front vs Southside suburbs.

Checkout the link below

Http://edphysician.com/

For job info.