EM Public Health Research Project?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon12380

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am an undergraduate student who is pursuing a Public Health major at my institution. Per my major, a student is to engage an independent research with faculty advising. I have previously volunteered and shadowed in the ED back home (academic hospital), so as far as connections, going through IRB, etc. are concerned, these will not be obstacles. Having said all that, my current research proposal was to look at the cost-benefit analysis of EDs in relation to free primary clinics (i.e. how much money does a free primary care clinic save an ED). However, this proposal has been scrapped since my Faculty Advisor is going on imminent sabbatical.

So, I wanted to get any input or advice at all from the respected EPs from this forum (I have been reading these forums for the past year--very interesting and inspiring stuff I gotta say) on a couple of other proposals I have: look at the prevalence, incidence of certain recurring drug-related diagnoses at the ED (very basic idea). Unfortunately, my research interest needs to be framed with respect to the Faculty Advisor I can get a commitment form (at the moment I have a sociology professor for a future survey), and I think my best shot is to get a Professor from the Psych Dept who specializes in pharmacology to also be my advisor, thus I would like to look at a drug-related issue faced in EDs. The other thesis idea is to somehow bridge the connection between free clinics and ED with respect to drug-related issues (i.e. do free clinics treat my patents with herion abuse than the local ED?)

Any help, ideas, etc. is appreciated, I am really passionate about pursuing a topic in this field and sorry if I am not allowed to post here!

Members don't see this ad.

Do meds-to-go for certain conditions (e.g. Free Prednisone pack for those dc'd after asthma exacerbation, free doxy for COPD'ers) decrease bounce-backs (ie 72-hour return visits)?

Does providing free lobotomies for orthopods provide improved locker room experiences?