EM Step 2 Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sardonix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is not the correct forum, however I figured it would be more valuable for EM residents/attendings to respond rather than students so I figured this would be better than the student forums.

I have a friend (newly minted 4th yr DO student) who wants to do EM. He crushed his Step 1 and got ~250s. However, he is afraid he will not be able to get that high for Step 2 given time constraints and other obstacles faced recently in 3rd year. Current practice data indicates 230-240s most likely.

He is now wondering if he should push back his Step 2, however he has 3-4 EM auditions set up at good programs starting in July and is worried about board studying interfering with his ability to get good SLOEs.

How important is it that his step 2 be equal or greater than his step 1? Should he risk Step 2 studying while on the first audition in July (at one of his top favorite programs)?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Boards don't carry a ton of weight for matching into EM. He'll be fine with his step 1 as long as he doesn't fail step 2. The score isn't going to make a ton of difference. Tell him not to push it back. Success in the match is 90% dependent on clinical performance and the strength of his clinical letters of recommendation, not a 10 point swing in his board scores.

Boards don't carry a ton of weight for matching into EM. He'll be fine with his step 1 as long as he doesn't fail step 2. The score isn't going to make a ton of difference. Tell him not to push it back. Success in the match is 90% dependent on clinical performance and the strength of his clinical letters of recommendation, not a 10 point swing in his board scores.

I appreciate the input. Will pass it along, doc.

Reactions: 1 user