EM to FP alt route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SexPistol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im interested in EM/FP combined residency. I heard somewhere along the line that if you dont get the combo residency there is another way about obtaining both certifications. I was told I could do a EM residency and later down the line a FP certification would only take one year. Anyone know anymore about this option?

Members don't see this ad.

Im interested in EM/FP combined residency. I heard somewhere along the line that if you dont get the combo residency there is another way about obtaining both certifications. I was told I could do a EM residency and later down the line a FP certification would only take one year. Anyone know anymore about this option?

There is no such formal arrangement. The only way to get certified in FP is to complete an FP residency. However, if after completing an EM residency you wantet to go back and do an FP residency, you might be able to find a PD willing to give you credit for some of your EM rotations. At best this would shave 1 year off the standard 3 year FP residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be aware that only one of those fellowships (2 positions offered) allows you to sit for the EM boards.

The only way to sit for EM boards through the ABEM is to complete an Emergency Medicine residency. None of the FP Emergency Medicine fellowships allow for this. The EM/FM combined residency does. Please see this document for clarification/further explanation.

Excerpt:
Combined training in Emergency Medicine/Family Medicine is the sole recognized pathway for
Emergency Medicine (EM) residents to train in Family Medicine (FM) and the sole recognized pathway
for Family Medicine residents to train in Emergency Medicine, other than completion of both categorical
EM and FM residency programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
(ACGME).

There is no such formal arrangement. The only way to get certified in FP is to complete an FP residency. However, if after completing an EM residency you wantet to go back and do an FP residency, you might be able to find a PD willing to give you credit for some of your EM rotations. At best this would shave 1 year off the standard 3 year FP residency.

If a person has completed an FM residency and wishes to pursue an EM residency, the EM residency can be reduced by 6 months at the most. The resident must reach this agreement with the PD prior to matching or the full 3-4 years will be required. One exception would be a 2-4 EM program+prelim year, in which a person who had completed FM residency would most likely be able to eliminate the prelim year, and possibly an additional 6 months.

Edit again: more research cleared up my misunderstanding.

You are belaboring the point. While you can use BCEM or whatever, this isn't the same as being BC/BE in Emergency Medicine, as ACEP is who determines that. And ACEP got rid of the grandfathering in clause back in the 80s.