Emailing for interview invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be interviewing at a program and there's another program nearby that I haven't heard back from yet.

Is it reasonable if I email the second program and let them know that I'll be in the area and check on my interview status? I don't want to bother them but I'd love to save $700 on a r/t flight if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard from several different sources that that is an acceptable thing to do!

I did it for the program i was planning on ranking #1, and got an interview invite the next day.

I'm going to be interviewing at a program and there's another program nearby that I haven't heard back from yet.

Is it reasonable if I email the second program and let them know that I'll be in the area and check on my interview status? I don't want to bother them but I'd love to save $700 on a r/t flight if possible.

Completely appropriate. I would word it in such a way that avoids making you look like you are assuming you got the interview already. I've done this a few times and got interview invites within a few days so now I can plan a two week stay in the area (versus flying CA to PA multiple times).

Example:

Dear <insert name>,

My name is <your name> and I am interested in the <specialty> program at <insert instituation>. I will be in the <insert location> from <insert date range> and would like to know if there has been any update to my application status.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Sincerely,

<your name>

Reactions: 1 users

A phone call is stronger.

Hmm good to know...because I was actually wondering about this too. I was thinking of emailing programs to check update of my application status. But one of the schools just email all the applicants saying basically "Please be patient, we're still reviewing the apps. Don't email or call us," probably because a lot of people are emailing/calling them which kinda makes me hesitant to contact these schools because I don't wanna piss them off even more as they're already super busy with these apps. But you guys think it's ok to do this?

@winged scapula, twright - what's your opinion on call v. email?

Last edited:

Either is fine. It really depends on your social epititude. If you are pleasant, maybe even with a quick wit you can use the phone call to schmooze the PC a bit (harder to do with email, but still possible).

But honestly, it makes no difference.

I did this for one program in a region I am going to be in for a couple of weeks, and I got an invite a couple of days later (although slots are filled, but probably will open up with cancellations, as the program is more rural); there are 3 others from that region I'm waiting on, but I'm waiting for my final board scores to come in to approach those 3. I'll either get an invite or swift rejection, but at least I can finalize my travel plans.

I have emailed a few. Only 2 responded. One invite, One rejection.

Part of me thinks the invite was just a coincidence too.

I was debating between email vs phone call also... but that debate was made easier when the program website only listed an email address. They even neglected to list the name of the PC that I wanted to get in touch with. After sending an email to said program, I received a thorough automatic reply with an FAQ.

As interview offers began to slow down, I decided to employ this tactic. Sent emails to 2 places where I really wanted to interview. I figured email was a less aggressive -and therefore less abrasive- place to start. One of the places responded in 2 hours with an interview offer and the other within 1 week.

If no response within a week, I would suggest making a phone call. Even if the end result is a rejection, you can stop worrying about that particular residency.

Either is fine. But the only reason I say this is because, at our program, neither would make a difference.

It may be the case (and this is pure speculation on my part) that there are programs out there who try to extend interviews based on who they think may be interested in going. For example, the program director at the University of South Dakota State Community Medical Center might pass on all California and New York applicants with >255 Step 1 scores because she doesn't want to waste her time and, in her experience, those applicants don't come to South Dakota. So if you are that type of applicant and you really do want to go to South Dakota, then it may require some additional legwork to get an interview. But my speculative guess is that these are rare situations.

At our program, we know that everyone who applies to our program is in some way interested in training here, and we would interview you if we wanted to interview you. So it wouldn't make any difference at all if you contacted us -- doing so basically gives you another opportunity to make a bad impression (e.g., typo in your email, you happened to call the program coordinator on a bad day, etc). Nothing to be gained. Best advice is to just sit tight.

Reactions: 1 user
I received a prelim IM interview from a program several weeks ago, but held off on responding to the offer because I didn't know if I'd get an interview from the advanced program there (which I happen to be very interested in). Finally I broke down and emailed the advanced program to check my application status, and 2 days later I was offered an interview. I'd say it was worth it.

I'm assuming this only works for the non-competative specialties? Anyone actually had luck doing this for derm, Ortho, rad onc etc?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Can any program admin weigh in on what would be least irritating for them? Phone call or email regarding the topic?

I guess i'll be forced to employ this tactic and I feel that a phone call is a lot more "proper", and would provide more of a prompt response where as having your email not even read, thus leaving you in the dark.

Can any program admin weigh in on what would be least irritating for them? Phone call or email regarding the topic?

I guess i'll be forced to employ this tactic and I feel that a phone call is a lot more "proper", and would provide more of a prompt response where as having your email not even read, thus leaving you in the dark.

A phone call is a ******ed idea. If boner-pill emails get read, I'm sure an applicant's email will as well.

Two friends of mine went with phone calls over e-mails. Both netted interview invitations to Yale and Tufts one day post-phone call.

I'm not sure I would call phone calls a "******ed idea" just yet.

I've also had friends get invites after an email, so I don't think the method of contact really matters.

The truth is, there probably isn't much difference between the worst app that gets an interview and the best app that doesn't. If you're able to demonstrate a genuine interest in the program (ie couples match, important geographical draw, specific aspect of their program that you're particularly interested in, etc), you may give yourself a better shot of rising out of that bubble zone. Just don't expect an email to help much if your app was significantly less competitive than normal for their program.

Least irritating is the email, because one can more easily ignore an email (whereas one cannot as easily ignore a phone call).

A phone call is a ******ed idea. If boner-pill emails get read, I'm sure an applicant's email will as well.

A phone call landed me an interview at a top-tier institution. Not saying it will work every time, and you may get some annoyed PC's on the other end, but it's not a ******ed idea.

To those advocating phone calls, what's your way of asking for an interview without sounding desperate? How do you build up to it? What worked out for you? I am thinking along the lines of "hey, I am Picasso, an applicant to your xxxxxx program and I would like to know if this program has still interview slots up for grabs". Wait for a response, most likely still reviewing etc. And then go on and say that I am really interested in this program and would to be considered for an interview. Would this be an appropriate way of doing it?

Ive gotten a rejection from a phone call. Doesn't always work.:(

Ive gotten a rejection from a phone call. Doesn't always work.:(

Me too! Probably just expedited the process though :shrug:. I got one almost immediately after sending a LOI to a program as well.

To those advocating phone calls, what's your way of asking for an interview without sounding desperate? How do you build up to it? What worked out for you? I am thinking along the lines of "hey, I am Picasso, an applicant to your xxxxxx program and I would like to know if this program has still interview slots up for grabs". Wait for a response, most likely still reviewing etc. And then go on and say that I am really interested in this program and would to be considered for an interview. Would this be an appropriate way of doing it?

I flipped it. I told them that 'I am very interested' (or something to that effect) with out sounding desperate, and said that 'I haven't heard anything yet and am wondering the status of my application'. I got lucky at this place -- my application had been set aside for whatever reason, and when the PC ran it by the PD again they figured 'hey why not'. Maybe this is rare, but it's one of my dream programs so I'm very happy I called.

Hey, the worst thing that can happen is you find out early that you got rejected which will give you closure faster..that's how I look at it at least.

I flipped it. I told them that 'I am very interested' (or something to that effect) with out sounding desperate, and said that 'I haven't heard anything yet and am wondering the status of my application'. I got lucky at this place -- my application had been set aside for whatever reason, and when the PC ran it by the PD again they figured 'hey why not'. Maybe this is rare, but it's one of my dream programs so I'm very happy I called.

Hey, the worst thing that can happen is you find out early that you got rejected which will give you closure faster..that's how I look at it at least.

Yeah, I think the verdict of this thread is "go for it"... for exactly the reasons that you describe. My only question is how exactly to go about doing it... but we're all professionals, so I'm sure we can figure out our own favorite ways.

Emailed a local program that I haven't heard from and it's been total silence so far. Oh well. Nothing to lose and I've got plenty of other interviews anyway. Could always be a blessing in disguise, ha! :p

Anyway, best of luck to everyone in this matching season!

Are you guys emailing just the PC or are you emailing the PD?

Or are you guys emailing the PC while CC-ing the PD?

I just emailed a couple of PCs. Heard back from one of them with something along the lines of "thanks for contacting us... we re-reviewed your application, and here's why we can't offer you an interview."

Obviously not the answer I was looking for, but it seems like going to the PC was good enough.

I just emailed a couple of PCs. Heard back from one of them with something along the lines of "thanks for contacting us... we re-reviewed your application, and here's why we can't offer you an interview."

Obviously not the answer I was looking for, but it seems like going to the PC was good enough.

Hopefully it was a constructive reason. Sometimes it seems like a crapshoot and it'd be good to know the reason, even if it's something like "Our average step score among applicants is x and yours was too low."

Hopefully it was a constructive reason. Sometimes it seems like a crapshoot and it'd be good to know the reason, even if it's something like "Our average step score among applicants is x and yours was too low."

Yeah, it was fair enough. They wanted at least a year of experience in the field from before or after med school, and I didn't have that. The requirement may be a bit excessive, but I clearly didn't meet it.

So there's this program that's currently my top choice. I emailed them a month ago (just a quick 'I'm interested in the program and I'll be in the area email). They emailed me back saying they're still reviewing applications. Now a month later, I still haven't heard from them and I know they've been giving out invites. I'm thinking of calling them just to ask if they're still giving out invites...what do you think?

Go for it. The worst you will hear is no, and you may get an interview. You have nothing to lose IMO

Out of 5 programs I emailed, I got 3 interviews, 1 waitlist, and 1 rejection.

for those where this strategy worked, did this work at top-ranked programs? i've had no luck emailing.

for those where this strategy worked, did this work at top-ranked programs? i've had no luck emailing.

Emailed 5 programs in my local area that i was somewhat interested in (IM). Got 2 interviews and 3 rejections. One invite was a university program. Moral: contact programs you truly want since they have 6000 apps sitting there and no way to pick!

My n=1...

I emailed a couple of my top-choice programs. I got a quick response from one of the programs with a rejection along with a very specific (and fair) reason why they couldn't interview me.

The other one didn't reply immediately, so I emailed them again with a courteous nudge. They replied with something along the lines of "we are still reviewing applications", and today, I received an invitation from them.

It could have just been a random event, but most of my invitations came in October... November (especially the latter half) has been made up almost entirely of rejections. So I'd like to think that my expression of interest helped my application.

I emailed a dozen programs last week after my Step 2 CK score came in (out of the about 35 that were still pending, the other ones I didn't have a chance in heck at or didn't care about, wouldn't attend now even if I got a late offer). This week I've gotten a rejection from a program I didn't e-mail, an invite from one I did, and a 'your app is still under review' from another one I did email which is a big reach but I have family ties to.

So yeah, I'd recommend doing it, at least to the ones you'd still be interested in attending. I already have tons of iv's but I could squeeze a couple of more in if they are ones I'd seriously consider ranking highly.

Who did you guys contact when emailing?

Who did you guys contact when emailing?

program coordinator, unless I can only find the PD's info on FREIDA. I thought contacting the PD directly comes off a little too aggressive.

I've emailed the PC already. It's been a few weeks now. Just wondering if I should call them or email the PD...

I received a number of invites quickly at the beginning, but about a month ago I ended up emailing 12 programs I hadn't heard from in locales in which I wanted to end up. As of now, this has yielded 6 interview invites and 4 rejections, with 2 programs remaining silent.

My question is this: if you had to email and/or be moved off a waiting list to receive an interview, should this be taken as a hint that you aren't really a 'priority' applicant to these programs and won't be ranked very highly?

I received a number of invites quickly at the beginning, but about a month ago I ended up emailing 12 programs I hadn't heard from in locales in which I wanted to end up. As of now, this has yielded 6 interview invites and 4 rejections, with 2 programs remaining silent.

My question is this: if you had to email and/or be moved off a waiting list to receive an interview, should this be taken as a hint that you aren't really a 'priority' applicant to these programs and won't be ranked very highly?

My question to you is this: Is the answer to your question going to change the way you make your rank list? Because if so, you don't understand the Match algorithm. If you got an interview, there's a chance for you to match there.

Ignore the program side of things...you can't know their reasoning and rationale for how they make their list. Make your own list the way you want it.

I'll agree. You don't know. It's likely that you're a lower priority / lower rank. It's possible that they just never got to your interview invite, and your email reminded them. It's possible you were going to get an invite regardless.

As above, you lose nothing by interviewing and ranking...

... except for time and money. So, I guess it would be reasonable to ask "Is it worth spending the time/money to interview at this program if there is a reasonable chance that I will not match there?" Only you can answer that question.

I'll agree. You don't know. It's likely that you're a lower priority / lower rank. It's possible that they just never got to your interview invite, and your email reminded them. It's possible you were going to get an invite regardless.

As above, you lose nothing by interviewing and ranking...

... except for time and money. So, I guess it would be reasonable to ask "Is it worth spending the time/money to interview at this program if there is a reasonable chance that I will not match there?" Only you can answer that question.

I agree- you have to decide if the interview is worth your time and money based on the competitiveness of your application.

We had one great candidate who applied from the midwest to our northeast program. The applicant initially didn't get an interview because we thought, "Why would this person come here?" We didn't realize that the applicant had done an away rotation at our institution and was going to pre-rank us #1. When that person contacted us, we immediately sent an interview. That person will be our chief resident next year.

On the flip side, we received a reminder email from a not-so-competitive applicant. That person had some personal ties to the program so we decided to give them an interview. However, that was purely a courtesy invitation and post-interview we have no plans to rank that person. So... it really was a waste of time. Moral of the story- if you're a not-so-competitive applicant who has to travel a distance to an interview, you might want to think twice if you had to nudge to get the interview.

On the flip side, we received a reminder email from a not-so-competitive applicant. That person had some personal ties to the program so we decided to give them an interview. However, that was purely a courtesy invitation and post-interview we have no plans to rank that person. So... it really was a waste of time. Moral of the story- if you're a not-so-competitive applicant who has to travel a distance to an interview, you might want to think twice if you had to nudge to get the interview.

Can you give some more input on this?

I feel my hometown program might have given me one, but I really liked their program and do plan on ranking them either #1/2/3. :idea: