Post Interview Thank You emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should we send thank you emails after the interview? If so, how long post interview is it acceptable to send them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter. Unless you have something truly meaningful to say about how you fit at that program specifically (and I mean REALLY, not just some made up thing that could actually apply to a bunch of programs), it's a waste of everyone's time.

But most people do them because it makes them feel better. So, :shrug: Most probably send pretty quickly, but if it's been a few weeks and you suddenly get the urge to thank someone that's fine too.

We save them, add them to your file, but I agree that generic TY notes, or lack thereof, don't make much difference. We pay much more attention to the emails in January when applicants tell us they're ranking us first or highly. We know it's not always true and applicants may say that to lots of programs, but THOSE are the emails we take most seriously.

It's not a match violation for applicants to offer that information. In no way do we solicit it or even initiate contact in any way after their interview. It's a violation for programs to ask, or to tell applicants their own ranking intentions, but applicants are free to send whatever love letters they like, unsolicited.

It's not a match violation for applicants to offer that information. In no way do we solicit it or even initiate contact in any way after their interview. It's a violation for programs to ask, or to tell applicants their own ranking intentions, but applicants are free to send whatever love letters they like, unsolicited.
Whoops. I read into that policy wrong. That makes sense.

Does it matter at all of an LOI is email vs. hard copy?

Email is preferable- easier to track and sort.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry just wanted to see, applicants tell you they are ranking first despite it being a potential match violation?
Agree with above, this is a common misconception. You are free to tell a program you are ranking them number 1, and a program is free to tell you that they are ranking you “to match” (whatever that means). It’s a violation for either side to ask the other where they are being ranked though

Agree with above, this is a common misconception. You are free to tell a program you are ranking them number 1, and a program is free to tell you that they are ranking you “to match” (whatever that means). It’s a violation for either side to ask the other where they are being ranked though

So in reading some of the literature about this, it almost feels that NOT sending anything could potentially hurt you?

So in reading some of the literature about this, it almost feels that NOT sending anything could potentially hurt you?

If you're serious about a program, make sure they know. We're meeting hundreds of people over the course of the year, and it's easy to fall into the middle. Sometimes what makes someone rise to the top is a genuine interest in and understanding of who we are, what we can offer, and how that aligns with their own personal mission.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're serious about a program, make sure they know. We're meeting hundreds of people over the course of the year, and it's easy to fall into the middle. Sometimes what makes someone rise to the top is a genuine interest in and understanding of who we are, what we can offer, and how that aligns with their own personal mission.
Great. Thank you so much for the advice.

Sorry just wanted to see, applicants tell you they are ranking first despite it being a potential match violation?
That’s not a match violation...applicants can tell the program anything they want AND programs can tell you anything as well...the match violation is if they ASK about where you are ranking and the programs you have gone and vice versa...you as the applicant can’t ask the program where they are ranking you.

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn't matter. Unless you have something truly meaningful to say about how you fit at that program specifically (and I mean REALLY, not just some made up thing that could actually apply to a bunch of programs), it's a waste of everyone's time.

But most people do them because it makes them feel better. So, :shrug: Most probably send pretty quickly, but if it's been a few weeks and you suddenly get the urge to thank someone that's fine too.
Or that’s what you were raised to do ... :).

Basically write thank you letters If you feel the need to do so to satisfy yourself and not because you think it somehow gives you brownie points.

I disagree with above programs. Don’t expect the interest email to mean much to rankings. I ignore them because I don’t really care how much you (claim to) like my program. I’m going to rank the way I want, regardless of interest emails.

I disagree with above programs. Don’t expect the interest email to mean much to rankings. I ignore them because I don’t really care how much you (claim to) like my program. I’m going to rank the way I want, regardless of interest emails.

I think that is basically what I said in my post...
And you make the point that every program is different...though saying you disagree with your peers is a little...eh...you have one opinion and they have another...neither are wrong.

I've had this question for a while: Don't most applicants rank a reach program #1? If so, I'm much more likely to send a #2 program an email stating my commitment given that program #1 is a long shot anyways. What are y'all doing?

I'm obviously very interested in rank #1, but I don't believe they are. For Rank #2, I feel it's more of a mutual thing.

I've had this question for a while: Don't most applicants rank a reach program #1? If so, I'm much more likely to send a #2 program an email stating my commitment given that program #1 is a long shot anyways. What are y'all doing?

I'm obviously very interested in rank #1, but I don't believe they are. For Rank #2, I feel it's more of a mutual thing.
Clearly you don't understand how the Match works.

People doing what you describe (ie sending love letters to programs saying "you're my number 1" when they aren't) is the reason why very few programs give those letters any weight at all--it's impossible to tell if you're being sincere.

Clearly you don't understand how the Match works.
I thought I did. What do you think I'm misunderstanding? 'Cause I was informed many times to create your rank list based on where you want to go from most>least. Programs do the same on their end.

AFAIK ranking a program #2 and a "harvard" #1 has no bearing on your chances of ending up at program #2 given that you're likely at the bottom of "harvard"s list. If I'm wrong, which I may be, let me know. Would rather not make this mistake.

Last edited:
People doing what you describe (ie sending love letters to programs saying "you're my number 1" when they aren't) is the reason why very few programs give those letters any weight at all--it's impossible to tell if you're being sincere.
Be that as it may, but as a DO student who is of average competitiveness and was able to interview at a top tier, prestigious institution, I'd be a dummy not to rank them #1 all the while knowing that I would be just as ecstatic to match at my #2. I don't think it makes what I'm doing insincere or "unprofessional," but I understand where you are coming from. If my understanding of the match algorithm is correct, me ranking "harvard" #1 has no bearing on my chances of matching at my #2. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Be what it may, but as a DO student who is of average competitiveness and was able to interview at a top tier, prestigious institution, I'd be a dummy not to rank them #1 all the while knowing that I would be just as ecstatic to match at my #2. I don't think it makes what I'm doing insincere or "unprofessional," but I understand where you are coming from. If my understanding of the match algorithm is correct, me ranking "harvard" #1 has no bearing on my chances of matching at my #2. Thoughts?
You can be ecstatic about matching at your #2 without lying to them about them being your first choice. Justify it however you want, that is what you’re doing, and again is why sending the email to either program likely will have no bearing on where they rank you—so many people send these emails disingenuously that programs would be foolish to put much weight on them when making their rank list. If you simply mean you’re going to send a general letter to your number 2 program without explicitly saying “you’re number 1,” that’s fine, but I again wouldn’t expect that to have much of an impact on where you’re ranked by the program. If it’s one of those things you feel compelled to do “because everyone’s doing it,” then sure.

You seem to understand the algorithm correctly.

You can be ecstatic about matching at your #2 without lying to them about them being your first choice. Justify it however you want, that is what you’re doing, and again is why sending the email to either program likely will have no bearing on where they rank you—so many people send these emails disingenuously that programs would be foolish to put much weight on them when making their rank list. If you simply mean you’re going to send a general letter to your number 2 program without explicitly saying “you’re number 1,” that’s fine, but I again wouldn’t expect that to have much of an impact on where you’re ranked by the program. If it’s one of those things you feel compelled to do “because everyone’s doing it,” then sure.

You seem to understand the algorithm correctly.
Fair enough, thanks for letting me know and sharing your opinion. And ironically, in this hypothetical scenario I would not be sending "harvard", my #1 program, an email expressing interest. My #2 program would be the sole recipient of such an email.

Fair enough, thanks for letting me know and sharing your opinion. And ironically, in this hypothetical scenario I would not be sending "harvard", my #1 program, an email expressing interest. My #2 program would be the sole recipient of such an email.
And what are you going to say? You’re my number 1? Even if they are ranked #2? Or are you going to be truthful and say you are my #2 or I’m going to “rank you high in my list”?
Do you really see a purpose to this? What do you think it will accomplish?

And what are you going to say? You’re my number 1? Even if they are ranked #2? Or are you going to be truthful and say you are my #2 or I’m going to “rank you high in my list”?
Do you really see a purpose to this? What do you think it will accomplish?
I don't, no. Nothing.

There is a slight chance that a love letter will help and no risk that it will hurt. There’s no secret database to get you after you are caught lying to all your #1s. You have no alternative to the match and it’s only high stakes for the applicants. Do what you gotta do

Reactions: 1 users
There is a slight chance that a love letter will help and no risk that it will hurt. There’s no secret database to get you after you are caught lying to all your #1s. You have no alternative to the match and it’s only high stakes for the applicants. Do what you gotta do
I think my original post may have been overly harsh, but my point is this is classic game theory. It clearly benefits an individual applicant to lie, but when EVERY applicant lies it essentially nullifies the advantage because the programs assume all of the love letters are BS.

Ultimately, I don't care that much because the system is likely too far gone for programs to ever regain confidence in these kinds of letters, and it's not some grave ethical travesty. So you do you. I'm merely saying that because everyone else is acting in their own best interest as well, it likely makes no difference what you do.

There is a small chance it could hurt to send multiple #1 emails. If a program gets one of these, then you match somewhere else yet would have matched with them, they might forward the email to your medical school. One such email forwarded is easy to discount -- perhaps you changed your mind. But if two programs were to do this for the same student, and it was clear that both emails were sent at the same time, it's possible that the school would see this as a professionalism problem. Could it put your graduation at risk? Probably not, but could be mighty uncomfortable for you.

Also, every year we interview people for jobs who interviewed at our residency program in the past. I always look up their rank info. If I found something like this, I would certainly forward it to the group doing the hiring. Would it make a difference? Maybe.

No matter what you do, you're the one that needs to live with it.