Emergency Medicine 2014-2015 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Click ADTS in the top right corner of the page...

Thanks! I assume grayed out means they downloaded it?
Edit: According to another thread the grayed out means nothing.

I hope to get my first SLOE in within a week or so. I assume I won't hear back from anybody until that happens...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks! I assume grayed out means they downloaded it?
Edit: According to another thread the grayed out means nothing.

I hope to get my first SLOE in within a week or so. I assume I won't hear back from anybody until that happens...

Probably not. However, I have also heard several PDs say that they won't even look at applications until October 1st when the deans letter goes in. So I wouldn't be too worried about having your SLOE in next week since many programs won't even glance at your application until then.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably not. However, I have also heard several PDs say that they won't even look at applications until October 1st when the deans letter goes in. So I wouldn't be too worried about having your SLOE in next week since many programs won't even glance at your application until then.

You think that oct 1 rule still holds true for us DO students whose MSPE's are in already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello future EM Badasses :welcome:

I know this is early, but I figured I would start a thread for the students (including myself) applying for emergency medicine in the 2014-15 cycle.

:xf: Good luck to all of us! Lets hope we all match at our #1 spots! :xf:

Wishing all of the applicants a great interview season! Don't over think things and remember to breathe!

I also think its unusual for programs to offer interviews before the MSPE's have been released on October 1st. Interview offers or regrets should start coming in full force after that date. Patience!

I also think its unusual for programs to offer interviews before the MSPE's have been released on October 1st. Interview offers or regrets should start coming in full force after that date. Patience!
How much after? Days? Weeks?

You think that oct 1 rule still holds true for us DO students whose MSPE's are in already?

I have no idea how your MSPE is in already... I am a DO student, and mine will not be sent until Oct 1st. I thought this was a national rule. At least this is what my school told all of us. My AOA interviews didn't seem to need it to start giving interviews, but I have heard that ACGME is reluctant to give much before getting it (unless you rotate at their program of course).

Reactions: 1 users
I have no idea how your MSPE is in already... I am a DO student, and mine will not be sent until Oct 1st. I thought this was a national rule. At least this is what my school told all of us. My AOA interviews didn't seem to need it to start giving interviews, but I have heard that ACGME is reluctant to give much before getting it (unless you rotate at their program of course).

I remember being told that even though the MSPE is uploaded early it doesn't become available for download by the program until the 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received emails stating the program would not send out invites until late October at the earliest. I think the pressure to get the SLOEs in fast is warranted, but if you don't have one in, you're not at a disadvantage in my opinion because most places are not looking yet. My home institution PD specifically told us that if you are getting invites in the first week or two (September), then it's probably a place you don't want to go to. Either they are desperate, not screening well/actually looking at the content of your app, a low-tier program, or all of the above.

If you got an invite from a place already and were really looking forward to interviewing there, I mean no disrespect. Just thought I'd share what I was told.

Anybody know if there are new programs opening up this year? I think FAU was thinking about opening a new EM program for 2015, but haven't heard anything since then. On FREIDA, saw Kaiser Permanente, New York Medical College at St Joseph's and University of Tennessee Murfreesboro. Were these new last year or are they new for this year?
Kaiser was new last year. Interviewing for their 2nd class. I only can assume the same of the other 2 if they are on the same list.

Received emails stating the program would not send out invites until late October at the earliest. I think the pressure to get the SLOEs in fast is warranted, but if you don't have one in, you're not at a disadvantage in my opinion because most places are not looking yet. My home institution PD specifically told us that if you are getting invites in the first week or two (September), then it's probably a place you don't want to go to. Either they are desperate, not screening well/actually looking at the content of your app, a low-tier program, or all of the above.

If you got an invite from a place already and were really looking forward to interviewing there, I mean no disrespect. Just thought I'd share what I was told.

Hopefully no one from the many programs who already sent out interviews sees this post. If I was a PD at one of those places I'd be pissed. I guess places like Cinci & Carolinas are desperate / low tier?

Are invites mainly going out to people with all their letters in? I've got 1 SLOE and 1 Non-EM letter in. My step scores are good... no red flags.... and have heard very little at this point. Kind of freaked out that I'm missing something.

Are invites mainly going out to people with all their letters in? I've got 1 SLOE and 1 Non-EM letter in. My step scores are good... no red flags.... and have heard very little at this point. Kind of freaked out that I'm missing something.

No...I have all my letters (2 SLOEs and 1 EM LOR) and my mailbox is as dry as the Sahara.

Hopefully no one from the many programs who already sent out interviews sees this post. If I was a PD at one of those places I'd be pissed. I guess places like Cinci & Carolinas are desperate / low tier?
I'll leave it for you to explain how those programs can screen (other than people who rotated at their program) without an MSPE.

Same situation, not freaking out yet. Good scores, good school, no invites. All completely normal till MSPEs hit next week.

All I got is an EM LOR in there.

Neither the place I did an away at in July nor August have my SLOE completed yet.

I Have 3 sloes one psyc letter 240-high 250s usmle1-2 boards and got nothing but DO interviews so far

I'll leave it for you to explain how those programs can screen (other than people who rotated at their program) without an MSPE.
Transcript, USMLE, CV, SLOE/LOR. There is enough info out there to see if someone is going to be a top and competitive candidate and is a safe bet for an interview. Different programs are going about it differently, and just because a program sends out early offers doesn't mean they are a bad program eg: Carolina's.

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here. There are irrefutably well respected programs, who certainly are not desperate, that have screened and sent out interview invites without the MSPE. Although I can think of many other ways to screen an applicant (like...every part of the rest of the application), the people who probably know best are those who are actually involved in the process.

If you are asking my two cents, I understand the value of an MSPE, but as far as a "screening tool", I don't really see how it is much better than just looking through someones application. My MSPE was basically a summary of my entire application in paragraph form and then the little blurb copy and pasted from each of my rotation evaluations. I would imagine that the majority of applicants have pretty good evaluations from their core rotations. In my opinion, the only way the dean's letter would be valuable for initial screening is if someone had blatantly poor comments in their evals or had some inconsistency in their medical education that needed to be explained. Again, I feel that would be a minority of applicants and those things would most likely also appear in their SLOES/LORs if they were relevant.

I wholeheartedly agree that applicants who haven't gotten interviews up until now shouldn't be worrying at this point. However, I don't think it's right to make the sweeping generalization that every program who sent out interviews before Oct 1 is either desperate or low tier or has a stupid screening process or something. It is not only disrespectful to all of the programs who have started to send out interviews, but also disparages those applicants who have received interviews. It's like, yeah you got an interview, but it's not because you busted your butt for 3 years, its because that program is desperate.

Transcript, USMLE, CV, SLOE/LOR. There is enough info out there to see if someone is going to be a top and competitive candidate and is a safe bet for an interview. Different programs are going about it differently, and just because a program sends out early offers doesn't mean they are a bad program eg: Carolina's.
What is Carolina's?

That said they were my first interview invitation... Guess where I ended up. I still can't believe I lucked into training at such an amazing program.

I'm a DO student. Applying only ACGME. Any thoughts on not submitting the COMLEX transcript. I did well( High 6's) but just being a cheap skate, so I have only paid for USMLE. Will programs care?

I read through that AAEM guide that they send out earlier today.. now I'm pretty convinced my lack of a second SLOE is the reason I haven't heard much. The people I know that have heard at this point have ALL of their letters in. Unfortunately our calendar at my school runs a little later and I guess this is what is hurting me at this point with letters. With that said my away rotation told me they'd try to have the letter by the end of this month.

what is this guide of which you speak?
I read through that AAEM guide that they send out earlier today.. now I'm pretty convinced my lack of a second SLOE is the reason I haven't heard much. The people I know that have heard at this point have ALL of their letters in. Unfortunately our calendar at my school runs a little later and I guess this is what is hurting me at this point with letters. With that said my away rotation told me they'd try to have the letter by the end of this month.

I'm a DO student. Applying only ACGME. Any thoughts on not submitting the COMLEX transcript. I did well( High 6's) but just being a cheap skate, so I have only paid for USMLE. Will programs care?

Similar scores. I did, and here is my reasoning: most programs will just ignore it completely but in the rare case that some schools do care, I don't want the impression that I am hiding something and have to explain later. $75 is not worth that

As to the MSPE debate, I just watched the ALIEM video series (highly recommended!) and all of the PD's in that video state that they wait till after it is in to screen.

Link to vids: http://www.aliem.com/em-match-advice-em-rotation-eras-competitive/

Reactions: 3 users
Does it look bad to apply to programs later than Sept 15? I initially applied to about 35 but I'm now considering adding 5-10 more. Is turning applications in late going to negate any benefit in adding more programs? Thoughts?

I currently have two letters uploaded with my applications, a SLOE and an EM LOR. I am waiting on a SLOE from last month which I havent heard anything back from them and will be getting one from this current rotation. Should I submit an IM LOR to make my application complete with 3 letters for the MSPE release tomorrow or keep slots open for SLOEs coming in late?

I currently have two letters uploaded with my applications, a SLOE and an EM LOR. I am waiting on a SLOE from last month which I havent heard anything back from them and will be getting one from this current rotation. Should I submit an IM LOR to make my application complete with 3 letters for the MSPE release tomorrow or keep slots open for SLOEs coming in late?
Only if it won't negate another sloe from coming later. How many auditions did you do?

This is a really good question actually. I have heard that programs want to see ALL your SLOEs from aways completed. If you fill your 4 allotted spots before sending in all your SLOEs what are your options? Has anyone asked programs to send the SLOE other programs?

This is my third and final away rotation. If I submit the IM letter it will only leave room for 1 of 2 of my expected SLOEs. I dont want a slow arriving slow to keep my application from being complete however.

This is my third and final away rotation. If I submit the IM letter it will only leave room for 1 of 2 of my expected SLOEs. I dont want a slow arriving slow to keep my application from being complete however.
Dude i wouldn't. I had a similar situation and I was thoroughly advised against it.

This is a really good question actually. I have heard that programs want to see ALL your SLOEs from aways completed. If you fill your 4 allotted spots before sending in all your SLOEs what are your options? Has anyone asked programs to send the SLOE other programs?

Yes, I have been told that if you have 4 LORs and get an additional SLOE from a place you rotated it is important that all SLOEs are available when you interview otherwise it may raise the question of why you rotated somewhere and don't have a SLOE (aka what are you hiding?) I have been advised to have this additional SLOE sent to someone at your clinical education office or equivalent who deals with your letters. Then, to be polite, contact the individual program coordinator via email letting them know you have an additional SLOE and if it would be okay to have your clin ed office send it over. If they okay it (which they probably will), then have your designated office send it over.

what if your home (DO) EM program doesn't really do SLOE's? I have 2 SLOE's from away rotations, and 2 other letters sent in, and didnt really plan on getting a SLOE from my home institution as it's not really there MO, and I barely worked with any faculty members. Is that an issue for my app?

what if your home (DO) EM program doesn't really do SLOE's? I have 2 SLOE's from away rotations, and 2 other letters sent in, and didnt really plan on getting a SLOE from my home institution as it's not really there MO, and I barely worked with any faculty members. Is that an issue for my app?

Didnt get one from mine either. Told by a PD that nobody really cares about DO SLOEs

Ughhhh only four invites so far including my home school. I think I'm getting screened out of review....Both step scores are in the 250s and I'm in the first quartile. I feel like my continued lack of a second sloe is what is keeping me from getting offers. It looks like the invite thread has been pretty active lately.... Hopefully my away sloe will be in on Monday or at least before all spots fill up....

Ughhhh only four invites so far including my home school. I think I'm getting screened out of review....Both step scores are in the 250s and I'm in the first quartile. I feel like my continued lack of a second sloe is what is keeping me from getting offers. It looks like the invite thread has been pretty active lately.... Hopefully my away sloe will be in on Monday or at least before all spots fill up....
That's two more than myself. I'll start freaking out next week if I don't hear from anyone. To put it in perspective, you already have 1/3 of the magic number of interviews (based on charting outcomes) at the beginning of invite season for EM. You'll be fine.

Dumb question probably but goes it look bad to sign up for interviews later in interview season? Does it just scream you aren't interested to the programs or they understand that everyone's schedule is different?

Dumb question probably but goes it look bad to sign up for interviews later in interview season? Does it just scream you aren't interested to the programs or they understand that everyone's schedule is different?
Not sure. Maybe? What are you going to do though? You certainly won't get interview invites at places that never even see your application.

2 more than me. I wouldnt worry yet. I know what is really keeping me back is the fact that i have zero sloes so far. Hoping my first will come in next week and the second in a few more weeks..

No, don't worry about it. I matched at my number 2 and interviewed in January for it. There are many reasons for scheduling interviews at later times, the dates may not work with your current schedule, you may have other interviews in the area during that time, etc. I seriously doubt anyone actually looks at when they offered you the invite and when you interview.

Also guys, don't worry about having little to no interviews yet, it is still very early. They will come!

No, don't worry about it. I matched at my number 2 and interviewed in January for it. There are many reasons for scheduling interviews at later times, the dates may not work with your current schedule, you may have other interviews in the area during that time, etc. I seriously doubt anyone actually looks at when they offered you the invite and when you interview.

Also guys, don't worry about having little to no interviews yet, it is still very early. They will come!
When will they come? My problem is that I only have 2 acgme so far. I applied to 46 acgme. If ppl in the interview thread already got invited from places I applied and they didn't rotate, doesn't that mean I'm kinda screwed? If I use this logic, that means I only have maybe 25 programs left, which means I might only get like 6 more interviews. I didn't realize being a DO would suck this much. That's y I did 3 rotations and honored at least 2. The third could be honors too cuz my school admin looked and gave me an okay to upload it. Also step 2>step 1 with high 250s. Top 5 ppl in class of 135-145. Like dude wtf

The crazy huge ridiculous fault in your logic is assuming every place that sent out x number of invites has sent all their invites. That's just not true. No program has sent out the entirety of their interview spots already. You can continue receiving interviews until January. I got 2 late ones in January. It is STILL EARLY. I would guess that 5% of interview invites have been sent (but I'm pulling that number out of my ass). If you're truly worried, apply to more programs.
Lol OK I knew I was freaking out. But how many people do programs send invites to the first time? Is it their top 10 people, or their top 50? Also, what's the magic date in October that would allow you to freak out about not having enough interviews but would still be early enough to apply to other programs and still get some more interviews?

All programs are different. Most places interview about 10 applicants per spot. Then you have to factor in how many ppl get the interview and decline. So for some places you're looking at 200+ interview offers. I would be very alam until the last week in October or so. I say that now - but when I was in your shoes I applied to ten more programs at this time, so take that for what it's worth.
Yeah i get that programs interview 10x more. Just trying to figure out how many people they email first and hence determine if hope still exists. Im genuinely shocked i didn't hear back from lukes, akron and Einstein yet. They are very DO friendly and i thought they would have liked me :-(