Emergency Pre-med advice/Applying next year!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You have no MCAT (goals mean nothing). You have paltry extracurriculars. Why did you label this an emergency? lol melodramatic

Members don't see this ad.

What URM community do you represent? Do you have a strong history of service to that community? Shadowing is usually not considered patient contact. The purpose of shadowing is to show you what a doc's life is like day to day. Don't worry about getting a letter from a MD. It really does nothing for your application and honestly how could any of them write a strong letter when you shadowed for such low number of hours. Nice upwards trend from soph year but your GPAs are below average. By next cycle do you mean for matriculation in 2017 or 2018? I hope it's for 2018. Less than 10 hours is very concerning. It's really hard to predict your actual chances without a MCAT score but be realistic in your goals.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
I mean 2018 and also how does one gain more patient contact? Would ED volunteering be considered patient contact? Or just clinical volunteering?

hey FYI @avgn just a reminder, you said something OP doesn't like, you're a terrible person now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hey FYI @avgn just a reminder, you said something OP doesn't like, you're a terrible person now.
"Forget a top school, you're barely on track to even get into any school." This is how you encourage others. :)

"Forget a top school, you're barely on track to even get into any school." This is how you encourage others. :)
You're going to need thicker skin if you make it to clinical rotations and internship cause you are going to get this daily. You asked for brutal honesty. Don't complain when it is given.

These are our compassionate healer @laxgirl06. I would say write these harsh words down and remember you are not the first and won't be the last who've been told that they do not have what it takes to be a doctor. When you are a doctor don't forget this moment and don't be afraid to tell others this story. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go to the top 30 school but getting into med school is the top goal. I would suggest doing a search on forum for efficient or effective study techniques and habits. You should treat your classes more like a job. Study hard and study smart! :)

Best of luck
If by "these are your compassionate healers," you mean those of us here with realistic mindsets, I'm f**king glad to see realistic people like @avgn, @RN MD 2017, @AnatomyGrey12, @Ad2b, @candbgirl, etc. be our future doctors. I flat-lined last year and had a pretty brutal recovery, and nothing pissed me off more than the surgeons and PT's who wouldn't give it to me straight and tried to sugar coat everything and lead me onto some unrealistic Fantasyland. Being told the brutally honest truth and making a patient lose hope aren't synonymous, and telling the honest truth isn't a testament of 'lack of compassion.' Sometimes you just need the brutally honest truth, and that's exactly what @laxgirl06 asked for, and that's exactly what she got: her application sucks. Her post shows a crap GPA, crap EC's, not a drop of work experience, etc., and our consensus is that top tier schools would never seriously consider her app as it currently stands. OP clearly doesn't appreciate the straightforwardness that comes with SDN WAMC posts. Now that OP knows exactly what's lacking in her application (everything), the ball is in her court. She can go out, work on fixing it, and become a doctor and heal people regardless of the MD/DO institution attended just like all the rest of us. As for this thread, we've all beat the goddamn dead horse. Let it RIP.

Reactions: 4 users
If by "these are your compassionate healers," you mean those of us here with realistic mindsets, I'm f**king glad to see realistic people like @avgn, @RN MD 2017, @AnatomyGrey12, @Ad2b, @candbgirl, etc. be our future doctors. I flat-lined last year and had a pretty brutal recovery, and nothing pissed me off more than the surgeons and PT's who wouldn't give it to me straight and tried to sugar coat everything and lead me onto some unrealistic Fantasyland. Being told the brutally honest truth and making a patient lose hope aren't synonymous, and telling the honest truth isn't a testament of 'lack of compassion.' Sometimes you just need the brutally honest truth, and that's exactly what @laxgirl06 asked for, and that's exactly what she got: her application sucks. Her post shows a crap GPA, crap EC's, not a drop of work experience, etc., and our consensus is that top tier schools would never seriously consider her app as it currently stands. OP clearly doesn't appreciate the straightforwardness that comes with SDN WAMC posts. Now that OP knows exactly what's lacking in her application (everything), the ball is in her court. She can go out, work on fixing it, and become a doctor and heal people regardless of the MD/DO institution attended just like all the rest of us. As for this thread, we've all beat the goddamn dead horse. Let it RIP.
I will LOVE proving you and all of your peers wrong. :) I hope you score in the 99th percentile and get into an Ivy league institution. XD

Hey everyone,
I wanted to give a sense of what my application looks like as of now, and get feedback on what I need to do to get in ...

Please help, let me know if you have any questions. And please be brutally honest ( I'm adamant on getting accepted to MD schools, DO is really a last last last resort for me personally) Any general application advice is also appreciated! Thank you!

I'm not entirely sure why OP has taken such offense to what has been posted. We were only responding as she requested.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Could barely fall asleep last night, was so stricken with remorse...OH BABY FORGIVE ME

Reactions: 2 users
These are our compassionate healer @laxgirl06. I would say write these harsh words down and remember you are not the first and won't be the last who've been told that they do not have what it takes to be a doctor. When you are a doctor don't forget this moment and don't be afraid to tell others this story. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go to the top 30 school but getting into med school is the top goal. I would suggest doing a search on forum for efficient or effective study techniques and habits. You should treat your classes more like a job. Study hard and study smart! :)

Best of luck
lollllllllllllllllllllllll Yo so listen up real close here aight nobody didn't say nothing about her absolute inability to get in. Ain't nobody said "you will never get into med school." Ain't nobody being a hater, nobody fronting or doing none of that. All we saying is that this app right here, her app right now, sucks. For reals, she comes in asking about her "chances" and that means her chances NOW. She ain't got no chance now, no sir, with an app like that next year. Then people gave loads and loads of advice on how to fix it up, how to pimp out that app. We telling her she got a ways to go before her daydreams come true. Dreams be good, but denial be wack.

aight? kk peace

Reactions: 2 users
get into an Ivy league institution. XD
I too hope you gain admission into an Ivy League institution. Set your eyes on Princeton Med. Such a magnificent institution, dripping with Ivy prestige, the elixir of life, that PMS. All my life I've grown up with elitists yet none of them have ever gotten into PMS, not even an interview. Show us you can be the first!

Reactions: 1 users
I too hope you gain admission into an Ivy League institution. Set your eyes on Princeton Med. Such a magnificent institution, dripping with Ivy prestige, the elixir of life, that PMS. All my life I've grown up with elitists yet none of them have ever gotten into PMS, not even an interview. Show us you can be the first!
Ahahaha.........VERY FUNNY....o_O