Emergent femoral central line

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wamcp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Witnessed a cardiology fellow attempt a femoral line during a cardiac arrest in CCU. Fellow couldn't get it. I'm curious now as to the exact steps to take to try to get a femoral line in when IO access isn't available immediately.

Would the below be correct or incorrect:

1. splash antiseptic/chlorprep or what have you in the area
2. put on sterile gloves, open central line kit
3. stab introducer needle somehwere 1 cm medial- ish to where I feel the femoral arterial pulse from chest compressions.
4. If blood return occurs, place guidewire in
5. dilator/scalpel as needed, then slide the central line over wire
6. withdraw wire and line is ready to use

I've been told arterial cannulation is ok during the code, better than wtihdrawing and trying again. All true?

Members don't see this ad.

Witnessed a cardiology fellow attempt a femoral line during a cardiac arrest in CCU. Fellow couldn't get it. I'm curious now as to the exact steps to take to try to get a femoral line in when IO access isn't available immediately.

Would the below be correct or incorrect:

1. splash antiseptic/chlorprep or what have you in the area
2. put on sterile gloves, open central line kit
3. stab introducer needle somehwere 1 cm medial- ish to where I feel the femoral arterial pulse from chest compressions.
4. If blood return occurs, place guidewire in
5. dilator/scalpel as needed, then slide the central line over wire
6. withdraw wire and line is ready to use

I've been told arterial cannulation is ok during the code, better than wtihdrawing and trying again. All true?

Did the patient have good IV access? If so I am not sure of the indication for a fem line during a code...

Why not just wait till the code is over and if the patient makes it put in a sterile subclavian or IJ?

What you listed are the basic steps of seldinger technique. Someone more senior should walk you through your first couple of sterile fem lines; it easier to learn in a non-code situation.

Only other thing is where I train there is always an ultrasound within arms reach in our critical care area. That can give me near 100% success on first puncture and I can get venous blood return very quickly (<10 seconds). Although you better be able to do it by anatomy too...sometimes ultrasound is not available.

Reactions: 1 user
One other tip:
If going for right groin, place your left thumb on the symphsyis & left index finger on ASIS (palm facing down) and aim your needle at the point where your first webspace forms the point of an inverted triangle (with the legs being your digits & base being the line between SP & ASIS).

Can usually hit vein even without pulses.

-d

Members don't see this ad :)
Crash fem lines can sometimes be necessary, but I would typically try for an IO if possible. In the rare case that you NEED central access and can not get an IO, go for the crash fem.

The few tips I can offer:

-Enter the skin about 2-3 cm distal to the inguinal canal, at about 45 degrees.

-Enter WHERE you feel the pulsations, if it is truly a cardiac arrest. Most of the time, what you are feeling is actually the venous pulsation from the compressions rather than arterial. If you ever put your probe on the groin during these situations, you'll see how plethoric the fem vein becomes, and you'll see that the only way you can typically hit the artery is if you back-wall the vein.

-Don't place the line in the artery. There is never a situation in which this is acceptable or helpful.

-If you use a Cordis (which many of these will be, especially in trauma) make sure you are familiar with the kit - it can be a bit confusing if you're trying to just grab-an- go without proper instruction

I wound argue when do you ever "NEED central access" during a code? If I have two large bore IVs I really don't need anything access-wise during the code. I realize some people do it...but the most important life-saving things during most codes are good compressions and electricity. Unless you are attempting ED ecmo, TV pacing, or something else rare I'd do it after the code.

Also the femoral artery generally lays to lateral aspect of the femoral vein (remember "VAN" vein, artery, nerve). You generally hit the femoral artery because you aimed too lateral. If you hit it then try more medial.

And a line placed into a femoral artery is called? An a-line. Very troublesome if you don't realize it is an a-line and use it like a venous line. The actual dilation doesn't cause 'that' big of issue (in the femoral, carotid is a different story). Cards caths people through the femoral artery frequently.

I place more central lines in codes that I would like. Always in the left groin (leaves the right for placement of a Cordis for cardiac catheterization if they make it). If they have an IO and can't get IV access within 2 sticks, they get a femoral line. I've been suprised at the number of ROSC I get from meds administered through a central line instead of an IO. Of course, it's doubtful if a single one of these ROSC survived to hospital discharge.

For a crash line in a cardiac arrest, I often place them with unsterile gloves. If you need it emergently, you need it emergently. For the most part, most of these people can wait for a subclavian or internal jugular vein after ROSC.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with the general tone of responses... with easy access to I/O now, I don't feel obligated to obtain central access in every code. Plus my nurses are great, and I'll throw an EJ in if needed.

But if we get ROSC, or are having trouble with quality access, they get a CVL. The tips above for a "blind" fem line are valid. Also, it will only cost you 30s to take a peek with U/S if they are morbidly obese or you just can't feel anything-- I don't mean a full sterile U/S set up, but just a snapshot with the probe to confirm vein location.

If we are going completely blind without good landmarks, my own typical procedure is to aim 1cm MEDIAL to where I think the vein is... if I hit something, its vein. If I swing and miss, I pull the needle 80% of the way back, re-direct laterally a touch, and hit the vein on the second stick. Basically "walking in" the tip of the needle from medial to lateral.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the responses above. US guided IJ for stable patients who have failed all other types of access or those who lost access, and those that need them for meds. IOs in crash situations, with blind non-sterile femoral lines as backup. The tips above are my general approach, too.

Also - you can run pressors for a short time (1-2 hours) while you're getting better access, after ROSC. There's a good Canadian guideline on vasopressors, published earlier this year, that goes over this point.

I don't think I've put in a code central line since residency. The IO is so much easier and faster. So I think the decision to do one is a bad decision for the most part assuming an IO is available. And peripheral lines are certainly okay for running codes.

That said, it makes zero sense to me to "splash betadine" for a few reasons.
#1 Splashing betadine doesn't do any good. Betadine kills bacteria when it dries. It's not alcohol.
# 2 The guy's already dead. The least of his worries is a line infection. If he lives, pull the line out. I wouldn't even put on sterile gloves for a truly emergent line.
# 3 It slows you down. Open the darn kit, throw it on his legs, grab the wire and the needle/syringe. Use the US to put the needle in the right place (this is a 3 second US, not counting boot up time) or just go blind using the compression pulses) and get the wire in. From there it's easy.

I'd try to avoid putting pressors into an A line, although again, the guy is dead. You can't kill him more.

I doubt the best way to learn how to put in a central line is through a forum thread. I'd advise you to check out videos online including at EmCrit.org.

As to the conversation above, I've never had good flow rates through IO's like with a central line. Of course, that would be more relevant with the hypotensive crashing patient as opposed to the dead patient. I feel like central lines can often be game changers.

I also think that fem CVCs are overrated in code or peri-code situations. IO and/or 1-2 PIVs are all you need 90% of the time. Of course it is nice to have central access, but the time, risk of injury to the operator, taking a physician away from doing more useful tasks are often not worth it.

That said, it makes zero sense to me to "splash betadine" for a few reasons.
#1 Splashing betadine doesn't do any good. Betadine kills bacteria when it dries. It's not alcohol.

Yes! Pouring on betadine then slashing or stabbing away accomplishes nothing other than making a mess.

I am a fan 0f code femoral lines, and anyone that has ever thought about doing ECLS should be good at getting one in quickly, whether landmark or US. Being able to get an A-line is also key for ECLS and important for things like REBOA, which will be soon entering its second, much more user-friendly iteration. A quickly placed cordis can be a huge help when you're needing to give lots of blood products quickly. The way I was taught, similar to something above was to put your thumb on the pubic symphysis and pinky on the ASIS, then go between your middle finger and index and you should be there. Aiming medially is helpful, and if the pt is sick, don't waste your time feigning sterility - as someone once told me, if they survive, I'll give them a couple grams of vanc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it *completely* useless though? Or is it only sub-optimal?

If it's still wet when you make your stick, then it's pretty much useless.

Chlorhexadine (which is what most kits have now) is different. It's best if dried, but has a small amount of bacteriocidal action while wet. You really have to let it dry for one minute for full effect.

I put on sterile gloves if they're available by the time I open the kit. Otherwise, I just try not to spit on the site before making my puncture. :)

I appreciate the replies from everyone. So is a dilator/scalpel not necessary to advance the central line through the femoral vein during an emergent situation? In your experience the catheter just slides right in over the wire?

I am a fan 0f code femoral lines, and anyone that has ever thought about doing ECLS should be good at getting one in quickly, whether landmark or US. Being able to get an A-line is also key for ECLS and important for things like REBOA, which will be soon entering its second, much more user-friendly iteration. A quickly placed cordis can be a huge help when you're needing to give lots of blood products quickly. The way I was taught, similar to something above was to put your thumb on the pubic symphysis and pinky on the ASIS, then go between your middle finger and index and you should be there. Aiming medially is helpful, and if the pt is sick, don't waste your time feigning sterility - as someone once told me, if they survive, I'll give them a couple grams of vanc.

I was taught to put my index on the ASIS.

I appreciate the replies from everyone. So is a dilator/scalpel not necessary to advance the central line through the femoral vein during an emergent situation? In your experience the catheter just slides right in over the wire?

I think you still need the dilator and scalpel, otherwise the catheter will get smushed up and destroyed and/or won't pass to begin with.

I think you still need the dilator and scalpel, otherwise the catheter will get smushed up and destroyed and/or won't pass to begin with.

Yea, sorry. I thought that was a given so I left it out. In my view the difficulties of the procedure are over once the wire is in the vein. A problem after that point is very rare.

Femoral you need to cut and dilate. Just too much tissue to go through.

I almost never dilate my IJs (just cut with a scalpel) as there isn't nearly as much tissue to go through.

Are you doing REBOA at your hospital? I saw the demo at ACEP. It seemed like you really need fluoro available to use it according to their rep...

Are you doing REBOA at your hospital? I saw the demo at ACEP. It seemed like you really need fluoro available to use it according to their rep...

Most of the literature out there talks about filling the balloon with a mixture of saline and contrast and then getting an x-ray to confirm placement after guesstimating the distance to Zone I or Zone III of the aorta. At the shops doing a lot of it, they have digital x-ray machines and can just shoot a KUB/CXR and get a sense of whether it's where they want it. I have no doubt that soon we'll have some literature on using ultrasound to locate the balloon too -- there was one study out of VCU where they used the sub-xiphoid view to locate the aortic wire, so that's another option.

Had to do one 2shifts ago on a HD pt with failed attempts at PIV and a new fangled IO gun that didn't work right and was new to everyone in the department. (Just get a damn normal EZ IO or manual one. Spring loaded one has two many moving parts). I did have to dilate. I did get the patient back too so told ICU doc to place a fully sterile one later and gave antibiotics as it was a crash line. They were using the damn HD port for med access and dopamine when the pr got in. And I didn't trust that one though it worked for the initial ACLS part of things. Renal doc was fine with that though I am curious if they will need to replace it now.

Like others have mentioned, there's really no indication for a central line during a code unless you're considering doing ECLS, REBOA, TVP, etc...

Crashing pt rolls through the doors:
Pt w/ good veins = AC or EJ IVs
Pt w/ bad veins = humeral or tibial IOs*

*Also, If you're not getting good flow rates w/ the IO make sure they're adequately flushing it (I do 20mL) prior to hooking up the pressure bag.

Is it *completely* useless though? Or is it only sub-optimal?

Completely useless.

There are two kinds of central lines

1. Completely Sterile
2. Not Sterile

There is nothing wrong with a not sterile central line, as long as you remember it's not sterile, and let the next doctor know it wasn't sterile.

Had to do one 2shifts ago on a HD pt with failed attempts at PIV and a new fangled IO gun that didn't work right and was new to everyone in the department. (Just get a damn normal EZ IO or manual one. Spring loaded one has two many moving parts). I did have to dilate. I did get the patient back too so told ICU doc to place a fully sterile one later and gave antibiotics as it was a crash line. They were using the damn HD port for med access and dopamine when the pr got in. And I didn't trust that one though it worked for the initial ACLS part of things. Renal doc was fine with that though I am curious if they will need to replace it now.

You placed a crash central line and you had a dialysis port!!!!

A dialysis port is a central line!!!!!

You just need to remove the heparin that is in the catheter and......VIOLA!. A fully working central line at your disposal.

In an emergency it is totally acceptable to access a dialysis port. I don't know why everyone is so afraid of the damm things. No it does not need to be replaced.

At my current place we do a ton of REBOA. Right now we are basically measuring externally, putting up the wire, shooting an XR on our digital machine, then proceeding. Once the wire is in, we don't get further radiographs unless otherwise needed - ie no XR to confirm balloon placement.

Had a hemorrhaging pt last night and had a good IO which we were able to push products through, but once my resident got a cordis in the fem, we could REALLY give our products through the level one. In medical resus, I agree it may not really be helpful, but in trauma it's invaluable

At my current place we do a ton of REBOA. Right now we are basically measuring externally, putting up the wire, shooting an XR on our digital machine, then proceeding. Once the wire is in, we don't get further radiographs unless otherwise needed - ie no XR to confirm balloon placement.

Had a hemorrhaging pt last night and had a good IO which we were able to push products through, but once my resident got a cordis in the fem, we could REALLY give our products through the level one. In medical resus, I agree it may not really be helpful, but in trauma it's invaluable
A ton of reboa!? Do tell...

You placed a crash central line and you had a dialysis port!!!!

A dialysis port is a central line!!!!!

You just need to remove the heparin that is in the catheter and......VIOLA!. A fully working central line at your disposal.

In an emergency it is totally acceptable to access a dialysis port. I don't know why everyone is so afraid of the damm things. No it does not need to be replaced.
I'm more than well aware that a HD port is a central line, having graduated from residency a while ago. It was already being used for a dopamine drip by EMS and I commended them on not wasting any time in using it. . My question more had to do with long term and not short term use of it as it had been accessed in a non sterile fashion.
Either way the single access wasn't adequate and required a second access during our rather complicated resusc with a craptastic io device that didn't work right. It was not a situation that should have required a central line placement under normal circumstances.

A bit concerning for indication creep, no? How often does one see a patient who will benefit from REBOA?

There's a whole lot of questions like that remaining as the hype train keeps building, ha. I'm sure that, especially with the ER-REBOA now available, there will be a surge of interest and with it a lot of these lines being placed in patients that potentially don't need it, but if done safely it's not that different than an arterial-side Cordis, which (in the case of the ER-REBOA, at least) allows for transducing for arterial pressures and to have the balloon ready for inflation if a patient does decompensate suddenly, say for instance when they go to ex-lap and suddenly the tamponade is released on a bleeding liver or spleen or whatever.

In terms of how often it could potentially be used, there's a small body of literature on this, including one study out of Britain that was published this week. Prior civilian studies have demonstrated that non-compressible truncal hemorrhage accounts for 60-70% of deaths following otherwise survivable injuries. In a recent review of the epidemiology of US combat fatalities in Iraq and Afghanistan, Eastridge et al. determined that among the potentially survivable injuries seen on the battlefield before arrival at a medical treatment facility, 91% of deaths were caused by truncal (67.3%), junctional (19.2%), and extremity (13.5%) hemorrhage. A similar percentage (85.5%) was cited in a recent British study.

The paper just published Barnard and colleagues, suggested that in one year’s worth of trauma patients in England and Wales, there were ~400 patients with an injury pattern and severity that may have benefitted from REBOA. These patients had a high mortality, of almost 33%, which the authors postulate might have been preventable with more prompt control of hemorrhage. More than half of these deaths occurred within 12 hours of hospital arrival, which in the absence of non-survivable TBI (these patients were excluded) may have been due to incomplete hemostasis. The authors estimate that the busier shops receiving trauma in that study would see a potentially-REBOAable patient q 46 days -- and that's in the UK. I would estimate that your average American trauma center sees a bit more in the way of non-compressible truncal hemorrhage.

I'm just now finishing up an educational project on REBOA with one of our anesthesia faculty, so I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject-- sorry for the wall of text. I agree with you that there's concern for indication creep, and that people are going to be trigger-happy to deploy this new toy, but with the smaller lines and U/S guidance in the hands of people used to putting in crash lines it shouldn't be that bad. The question is really just who is this appropriate for, and when/where/who will do the placement, and for that there's not that much evidence to go on. We'll see what come out of Houston, Baltimore, Denver, and the other shops doing a fair bit of this and prospectively gathering data on it.